Post Thanks / Like
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet, a exterior detail to bring back the finish and also deal with dried out trim and dirty top. Daniel from Car Connoisseur helped on this vehicle as well that week.

Pre-wash inspection showed tremendous particulate and general crustiness.

Initially thought the badge might have to be removed, and then put back on but careful correction and cramped fingers completed the task as later pics will demonstrate.

Cowl trim with the dryness.

Wheels and wheel wells were toast, in spite of the fact this Turbo was sporting ceramic brakes Daniel would spend over a hour during the wash step on the wheels(Not a wheels off detail).

Arm work out for Daniel(He really needs that........).

This was the reason, some of the worst fallout/particulate I have encountered.

Silver is the "Hides all" color......................until proper light of truth is utilized.

Before.

After.

Not so nice..........

With the clarity.

Water spots and scratches on the wing.

Deep defects here, so prudence used to make sure we did not strike through(Bad for profits).

With 14 microns of clear, one deep RID was going to have to be left alone.

While Daniel was working the exhaust tips, I stripped the trim of the dry UV damage.

Exfoliated.

Crusty tip.

Cleaness.

Fruits of our labor, cleaness restored.

Turbo badge looking proper, all scratches and crust removed.

This car is DRIVEN, so the client was thrilled the car looked beautifull once again.

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><sub>Looks awesome!` I`m intrigued with the idea of removing and replacing a badge.` Is this possible to do without ordering a new one, if you posess the awesome-ness?` </sub>

Post Thanks / Like

Great work as always Bob/Daniel. That clay shot was nasty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pmnewton

<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><sub>Looks awesome!` I`m intrigued with the idea of removing and replacing a badge.` Is this possible to do without ordering a new one, if you posess the awesome-ness?` </sub>

It is as I do it quite often especially on Black or Dark colored paints, remove the badge carefully with first heating the badge with a commercial level heat gun(275-325 degrees) being prudent not to get to close to the badge.

`

Then remove with strong test fishing line sawing back and forth to remove the whole badge in one piece, after the badge is removed then correct the finish and take two sided tape and reapply on the back side of the badge trimming where needed.

`

A template should also be made before the removal to insure correct re-application so there is not tilted fail-ness as the badge should be straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    `
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1399920519" data-cid="1437120" data-author="Auto Concierge">

It is as I do it quite often especially on Black or Dark colored paints, remove the badge carefully with first heating the badge with a commercial level heat gun(275-325 degrees) being prudent not to get to close to the badge.
    `
    Then remove with strong test fishing line sawing back and forth to remove the whole badge in one piece, after the badge is removed then correct the finish and take two sided tape and reapply on the back side of the badge trimming where needed.
    `
    A template should also be made before the removal to insure correct re-application so there is not tilted fail-ness as the badge should be straight.</blockquote>
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing your technique. My Porsche badge is seven individual letters so that would be quite a project. I ordered some foam tipped detailing sticks from Griot`s Garage and will experiment with those as an alternative. I have found that a Dremel on the lowest setting is useful for some extremely tight spots but the felt polishing cones leave some marring that still needs to be removed by hand. I`m still searching for foam polishing dies but haven`t had much luck yet. Thanks again for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chad, PM Newton those sticks will help but a quality steamer will be better for your (991,Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman etc......)as the new cars have paragraphs..............on the rear decklid. They can be ordered now without the chrome business for a clean look.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob as always, top notch work.

Thread Information