Post Thanks / Like
    Car:

• 1987 BMW 535is (E28)
    • Color: Zinnoberrot (Cinnabar)
    • Build Date: 9/86
    • Mileage: 173K
    • I`m 3rd owner. Purchased in April 2013. Story here.

First step was to detail the interior and conditioned the leather. I normally use Connolly Hide Food on my 911, but I`ve had a bottle of Lexol Leather Conditioner sitting on the shelf, un-opened for 10+ years and figured I`d give it a try. I was disappointed in that it did not appear to actually condition worth crap (a few days later the leather felt dry). So did it again using Connolly and am now happy.

Hard to believe that`s a 27 year old car with 172K miles on it.

Also installed USB power plugs in the dash.

Last weekend`s goal was to give the exterior a deep detail. The PO claims he never had the car polished, just waxed. In any-case the paint was in very good shape, very consistently. But a lot of swirl marks and some light scratches and water spots scattered around.

Products I used:

• P21S Total Auto Wash
    • Lots of masking tape
    • Clay Bar with Groit`s Speed Shine for lube
    • Flex 3401 polisher
    • Menzerna polishes
    • P21S Paintwork Cleanser
    • One Grand Blitz Wax

Some before pics:

Almost done. Just passenger`s side is left.

Will post sunlight photos once it`s done...

I also need to treat all the exterior rubber and do a very deep clean on the wheels... they may need to be refinished as the brake dust is very much baked on.

FWIW, this car is a close friend of the 1992 BMW 325xi I helped rescue for a buddy a while back. I wrote that car up here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...xi-rescue.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad face.

On the passenger side, my masking tape pulled up the pinstripe! On the driver`s side, I`m guessing that when the driver`s door was painted about 4 years ago they re-did the pinstripe on that whole side. But on the passenger side, the stripe is from 1986...

I guess I get to find someone to put a new stripe on for me, because this is unacceptable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pinstripe problem or not, the car looks terrific!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Pro tip:

When using a 10+ year-old bottle of Black Again, beware the plastic might be a bit brittle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Detail is done.

Before:

After:

I could have gone deeper, but I`d much rather preserve the paint thickness than make it absolutely perfect and never be able to polish it again...

I prepped all the rubber with Black Again and she`s looking quite nice. The biggest issues I have from an aesthetics perspective (besides the gawd awful bumpers) are the wheels and air dam.

While the Style 8`s have grown on me, the PO really didn`t take care of them. I need to pull them off and see if I can get the baked on brake dust off. If not, I may get them refinished.

I already have a few cans of Zinnoborrot rattle can and plan on repsraying the air dam when I get a chance. I don`t care if it`s done perfectly because it will get replaced when the new bumpers are installed, but it mars the car badly now.

Shadowliiiinnnneeeee....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Pinstripe problem or not, the car looks terrific!

Thanks! I`m really enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those U.S. crash regulations really ruined the look of otherwise beautiful cars from the 70`s and 80`s. I`m assuming you`re getting euro-spec ones put on? Bumpers aside, the car looks really great. That interior is timeless, and I really love the tasteful USB charging ports you installed. They look so OEM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I plan on replacing the diving boards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cek
    Sad face.

On the passenger side, my masking tape pulled up the pinstripe! On the driver`s side, I`m guessing that when the driver`s door was painted about 4 years ago they re-did the pinstripe on that whole side. But on the passenger side, the stripe is from 1986...

I guess I get to find someone to put a new stripe on for me, because this is unacceptable.

If you do not want to invest a lot of money, buy the 3M pinstripes and use what is left of the painted stripe as the guide to lay the tape stripe over. I did this for a friend who had a black Nissan Maxima that the painted silver pinstripes had faded to a ghost image, he did not want to have the painted stripes redone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never been a fan of pinstripes anyway. To hell with `em, I say!

Looks good! I love those old 5ers. With Europe-spec bumpers it`ll be a stunner. Was "Shadowline" a factory option?
    2003 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver / Full Red | 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Graphite Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning! Great car. Thanks for saving a classic!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing condition for age/mileage!! There are 1-2 year old cars on the road that don`t look this good!!

Thread Information