Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    One of clients had asked for paint correction on two of his Lamborghinis. Knowing that this was going to take a while I called up Todd Cooperider to come and give me a hand and its a good thing I did because the paint on these cars was more that difficult to work with. Todd Cooperider is an amazing detailer and his ability to read paint and shoot for only perfection are some of the many things that set him above many detailers. While we were working on these cars two more lamborghinis came up that needed paint correction. So this turned into 3 weeks of paint correction on four lambos which was a huge learning process for me.

We first looked at the Murci which had been worked on by a local detailer less than a year ago. After looking at the paint we soon learned that this guy had no idea what he was doing, and to cover it up he was selling monthly upkeep to glaze the car and cover up all the defects. Once we got the lights out here is what the hood looked like.

As you can see this paint looks horrible. The detailer that worked on this obvisously had no idea what he was doing. The first thing we see is tons of swirls that are all in a big circular direction. A sign that this detailer used one and only one system when doing paint correction. He didnt know how you read paint and use different products for different types of paint. Not only did he use the wrong method and products but he also only did the upper surfaces, you could see where he stopped with his giant wool pad and the sides actually looked better than the top surfaces because he didnt destroy them with his shady ways. Another thing we noticed was that the buffer trails were huge, it looked like he was using an 8 inch pad. So to cover up his terrible work he was just using glaze on it once a month to keep it looking good.

We washed the car down to remove any glaze left over and also did some claying. The paint was not that dirty so this did not take that long.

After the wash Todd got to work trying different product and pad to see what was going to work the best on this paint.

Notice Todd is using the Festool PC with a Surbuf pad. He found that using the Surbuf pad and M105 was just about the only method that would take all of the defects out. Todd noticed that anything and everything he was using to finish down the paint was still maring it up and leaving it hazy. After trying many method he decided that the only method that finished down nice was using a PC and Scholls S40. This paint was very hard to work with. It was hard to correct and even harder to finish down. It was extremely soft, even looking at the paint seemed to swirl it up. Very odd for a paint to be hard to remove defect but at the same time so soft it was hard to finish down nicely. Here is the hood after testing.

Now that is how the paint is suppose to look. While Todd worked on the hood i started hit some other areas of the car with the Meguiars MF pad and some D300.

After we got all the compounding done we started our finishing polishing. The do this we both used black pad with Scholls S40.

So after many hours of polishing and just about an hour worth of testing we ended up with this. But we could not use a machine to apply any sort of protectant because it just mared the paint up again. So Todd busted out his Swiszax Crystal Rock (which costs $1500) which gave it a beautiful finish and left it protected.

Although it was just me and Todd we brought one hell of a army of PCs and Rotarys.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after about 15 hours we had this one wrapped up. The it was on to another BLACK lambo. This one is insane, its a Underground Racing Gallardo that is pumping out a astounding 1250hp on racing fuel, and the best part is i have never started this car and not smelled the great smell of race fuel. This one had similar defects in the paint but looked like most of it was from washing. Once again this paint was so soft you could just look at it and it would spider web. Although the paint was soft but still reacted a little different. We started out using the Meguires MF pads and used a combination of different compounds. Some areas we used D300 and when that didnt do the trick we moved up to M105. Some areas we even used both on the same pad, haha it was an interesting combination. We didnt get any before picture but since this one was correction by the same detailer before and at the same time as the Murci im sure you can imagine how it looked. When we were finishing up we had a photographer come out and shoot both of us working. Here are the after pictures.

hahaha we took this shot for Paul at Chemical Guys. He loved it.

Here Todd is inspecting my work while i am texting. haha

Using V7 as our wipedown lubricant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now on to the most destroyed lambo yet. This thing has been washed improperly for years with no correction done at all. The most this thing has ever got was a coat of blacklight which brought a lot of the gloss back out but didnt even put a dent in the defects. Here are the before pictures.

As you can see this thing was pretty bad. First we started out with a quick wash and claying the whole car. This Particular day we had an extra helper that helped us complete the first step of this restoration.

After that Todd and I got down to compounding using the Meguiars MF system and D300 as the compound. This system really tears into the paint and if you using the right technique finishes down like no other making the polishing step a breze. With both of us compounding we got most of it done in one day.

These vents on the deck lid are such a pain to compound and polish. The bottom one in nearly impossible to get with a machine due to the small space so we ended up polishing it by hand just like we did om the Black Gallardo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once the compounding was complete it was on to the polishing process. Todd started the upper surfaces with the Rotary and some Scholls S40. I started the lower surfaces with the PC and some M205. The lower sruface didnt take as long since i didnt have to work the polish in as long as Todd did so we ended up completing about the same time. Once we were finished we hit it with a coat of Blacklight which really made the paint pop. Here are the after pictures.

While we were compounding we also did a Leatherique treatment on the leather. Here are the before and after pictures from the seats.

Here are some before and after shots side by side.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so now on to the last lambo. Mr. Green as he is called. Mr. Green had been in the body shop getting a new bumper put on him for months. Although green does hide a lot of defects the car had lots of contaminents in the paint that needed to be clayed out. Along with that there were lots of buffer trails on the front end from where the body shop had blended the paint in with the rest of the front end. So all we did was a wash, clay, and polish out the from end with D300 and a MF pad. Once that was complete we hit it with some Blacklight to really bring the gloss back.

So there is our little lambo marathon. Sorry I was not very descriptive in most of the article but it was a long one. Any and all questions and/or comments would be appreciated.

A big thanks to Todd Cooperider for helping with all of these cars. I would have been lost on the Black ones for sure if i didnt have his knowedge available. It is a pleaseure to work with him and he truely is the best at what he does.

Thanks and enjoy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work! All the cars came out looking incredible. It must have been a real pleasure to get to work with Todd.

-Kody-
    New Image Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic opportunity - working on the Lambos and with Todd. The cars looked amazing when you guys were finished. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great presentation and I loved the side by side shots. Oh, and the pic with all the buffers is awesome! Great work.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing work and wealth of pics! The underground Lambo on the sun shots looks like it is painted `cloudy blue`! cracking reflections!

What an experience to work next to Todd!

Post Thanks / Like
    outstanding results!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    HOLY SICK LOCATION!!!!! is that Esoteric`s shop? Props to you for the hardcore lesson with a grand master! I`m sure he was just as happy to help you on such comprehensive gigs too.

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    impressive
    ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kakeuter
    Great work! All the cars came out looking incredible. It must have been a real pleasure to get to work with Todd.

-Kody-

Thanks, working with Todd is great. He really teaches me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by detailfanatic
    Fantastic opportunity - working on the Lambos and with Todd. The cars looked amazing when you guys were finished. Congrats.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    Great presentation and I loved the side by side shots. Oh, and the pic with all the buffers is awesome! Great work.

Yea the side by side shots are nice, especially to show to potiental customers. The buffer shot was Todd idea and came out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ch96067
    Amazing work and wealth of pics! The underground Lambo on the sun shots looks like it is painted `cloudy blue`! cracking reflections!

What an experience to work next to Todd!

Thanks, we were lucky to have all those nice clouds out that day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam
    outstanding results!!!!

Thanks jam.

Quote Originally Posted by tssdetailing
    HOLY SICK LOCATION!!!!! is that Esoteric`s shop? Props to you for the hardcore lesson with a grand master! I`m sure he was just as happy to help you on such comprehensive gigs too.

No, the shop belongs to one of my clients. I always learn a lot from working with him and he loves to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by CosminTX
    impressive

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job .. er jobs!

I found the M105/D300 combo works good when else fails.
    Onyx Details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information