Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we are supposed to do better but I just got home and I feel like I fell off a 5 story building. All I could manage is to post up a crummy pic I took with my phone.

2005 XJR with some increda-nasty acid rain marks and clear etching. Some of the acid rain spots are so bad they appear to be almost through the clear and some heavy scratching that practically is after wetsanding.

Check out further north on the hood to get an idea of the etching in the clear. We have over 14 hours into the car and all we have done is prep and the roof and deck lid. This shot was part of the consultation. Hood is tomorrow. Full thread to come...

Go here for the fulll story:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-auto-spa.html

Atlanta Car Detailing, Clear Bra Installation, Paint Correction - Detailed Designs Auto Spa

Atlanta Car Detailing, Clear Bra Installation, Paint Correction - Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    I still don`t know how people with the means to afford cars like this allow them to get into that condition. Good luck JC, that thing is ROUGH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean-Claude- Gee, you sure have your work cut out for you on that one

MikeNap- I`ve observed that often the "people with means" treat nice cars as disposable appliances and the less they care about the price the less they care about the vehicle, especially if it`s leased. So somebody for whom a $1K/month lease payment is peanuts might neglect a [really nice car] the same way I`ll neglect a crappy service loaner. I`m always amazed that my friends never get dinged for condition upon lease returns, but they never do :nixweiss

I wonder if that Jag`s current owner bought it new or, my guess, recently acquired it and wants it brought back to decent shape. Like...first owner leased it, second owner neglected it and sold it as soon as it needed real money spent on it, third owner is trying to fix it up..or something like that. But hey, I`m just thinking out loud and I could be 100% wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Jean-Claude- Gee, you sure have your work cut out for you on that one

MikeNap- I`ve observed that often the "people with means" treat nice cars as disposable appliances and the less they care about the price the less they care about the vehicle, especially if it`s leased. So somebody for whom a $1K/month lease payment is peanuts might neglect a [really nice car] the same way I`ll neglect a crappy service loaner. I`m always amazed that my friends never get dinged for condition upon lease returns, but they never do :nixweiss

I wonder if that Jag`s current owner bought it new or, my guess, recently acquired it and wants it brought back to decent shape. Like...first owner leased it, second owner neglected it and sold it as soon as it needed real money spent on it, third owner is trying to fix it up..or something like that. But hey, I`m just thinking out loud and I could be 100% wrong

Yeah, you`re probably right. It shouldn`t bother me, but I guess it does. I know my E46 M3 is being pampered right now compared to whoever had it before me, but that`s because I still feel every sacrifice I had to make to get it in my garage. You`d just think that a car like that would belong to a car nut, when instead it`s usually just another bauble to impress friends, neighbors and strangers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`ve observed that often the "people with means" treat nice cars as disposable appliances and the less they care about the price the less they care about the vehicle, especially if it`s leased.

That certainly seems to be the case. I bought a used BMW M3 (since sold) a couple years ago and it had been `detailed` to a presentable condition before I got it. But after I took it home and REALLY detailed it I could see that the poor car was abused it`s whole life. Encrusted mud and leaves everywhere, organic stains that I don`t even want to think about, fries under the seats, scratches upon scratches, etc. Really sad.

Recently I just got an old Toyota 4Runner (Which incidently led a pampered life-go figure) and and plan to have it as a `beater`. Yet I have detailed the ever-living snot out of the truck and think it looks awesome. I find myself pimping it and QD`ing it and loving it just like it were a Ferrari.

I can`t understand `THOSE` people. But I guess they can`t understand "US" either.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap
    ... You`d just think that a car like that would belong to a car nut..

Well, it seems that there are car nuts, and detailing nuts, and a few people who are both.

I have pals who are *serious* car nuts, even heavily into the concours scene, but their "drivers" (I`ve come to simply *HATE* that term!) are as abused and neglected as any piece of crap you`ve ever seen. I`ve even offered to do a quickie detail- "oh man, I just hate that you`re driving around in something that looks like that!" but they say "nah, don`t want you to waste your time, it`s just a driver" :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    can`t wait to see this transformation. Good Luck!

Thread Information