Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first post in the "Pro" section. Please be gentle!

I received a call mid-week from a local car-collector friend that he was selling off some of the cars in his stable. The Cobra was already sold, and 11 others were on the block. However, he had a couple "rough" cars that he wanted cleaned up before trying to sell.

I was contracted to do a "cleanup" on a 1973 911. I was told that the paint was rough, and that if I had time to do the interior that would be appreciated but wasn`t necessary. I drove up Sunday morning, thinking I`d knock it out real quick and be off to my soccer game at 6pm. HAH!

Upon arrival, he opened the garage and there before me was the most oxidized Porsche I had ever laid eyes on. My heart sank because I had left my chemical paint cleaners back home, nearly an hour away. I had some "big guns" with me and since I don`t use a rotary, I knew I was in for a long day (or days)

Process and Materials:

(Wash)

PB World Super Slick and Siuds

Wheels cleaned with Griots Wheel Cleaner

Tires got Megs APC+ 4;1

Wheel wells got Megs APC+ 4:1

Clay:

Megs Red Aggressive clay

Lube: DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss cut to lube strength

I then taped off a test section to see what I could achieve with the tools I had at my disposal.

This is what I was starting with:

I tried a variety of things, but it took a real compound to break that oxidation down with the 7424. So the process was:

Step 1. Poorboy`s World SSR3 x 2

Step 2. Megs Ultimate Compound (x2 on horizontal surfaces)

Step 3. Optimum Poli-Seal as LSP

This was the result of the test patch:

Day one consumed about 10 hours and concluded with finishing the compounding steps. It became clear that the interior would have to be done by the owner, and he was fine with that. He had a very good selection of products and plenty of experience in cleaning up cars. I left him some new product to try on his own after doing some demos. Due to an issue with the wheels, we left that alone. I worked the door jambs with the buffer, but did the areas along the windshield and rear glass by hand. Drip rails were also compounded and polished by hand.

Day two saw me cleaning up some work from day 1 that we finally got to see in the daylight. Then doing Poli-Seal on the entire car. Last up was the hand roof, and I did the exterior and interior glass. This detail was for pre-sale, and the owner was not interested in making the car perfect. We had chased 36 year old paint as much as I dared, and as much as he wanted. Apparently, a previous owner had simply allowed the car to sit unprotected for over 6 years. Acid rain had etched the paint, glass, and brightwork. There was no bringing it back.

I was working alone (and indoors) for the entire detail so there are no in-process shots, but I do have a number of before and afters:

Before:

Afters:

The owner was thrilled with the turnaround. It was awesome working for someone who had realistic expectations. He was around for the entire detail marveling and what he was seeing, and taking breaks from watching and learning from me, to play with some of his other toys. I quoted him a fair price and he paid me well above that price and asked if it was enough. to top it off, I got to play with one of his toys that he wants me to detail in the near future:

Me backing out the 904:

Only stalled it once backing out:

Front:

Back:

Two int the yard:

Two in the yard (profile):

Hope you enjoyed. Comments and questions welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice turnaround. It looks like it is worth some money now. Great job. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    nice job ill bet it took a long time. awesome turnaround
    down here in colorful colorado!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, great turnaround on the old 911. These were and are great cars but they will humble you quickly if you do not know what your doing when driving them in corners at speed. The 904 is just plain sweet.

Thread Information