Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    1988 BMW 6 series.

The car was booked for a mid level correction detail but ended up taking twice and long and being a giant, massive headache.

I did a quick inspection when it was dropped off, paint was heavily swirled but the PTG readings were nothing to extreme (220-260microns) which I thought was high but not high enough to be considered a repaint. I figured the paint shouldnt be too difficult to work with as I have done 2 older BMW`s prior.

Well... I couldnt have been more wrong. After closer inspection under the lights I found runs in the finish, even higher paint readings on certain panels (450+) and solvent pop everywhere. The car has be re-sprayed and the owner did not know.

More on that later, first I had to wash the damn thing.

Wheels were treated with Brake Buster on the face and the inners need Megs WB 4:1 along with some Tardis

Before

After

Most of the trim was faded and cracking...after some light agitation some dirt dripped down the car

The was hand down the HARDEST clear I have ever polished.

My initial combo to handle the swirls was M105 w/ a black TufBuf wool pad. I figured a 2 step process was sufficent initially but the first 2 passes with 105 did barely anything.

After doing a test spot on the hood with the rather agresive combo I realized I achived about 4% correction and barely a dent was made. After 2 more hits still little luck.

I sent a PM over to Billy (PresidentialDetail) inquiring about the KB method and with his pointers I gave it a shot as I had no other options.

Under the halogens...

I used the KB method (my own take on it as least) and I was able to get about 90% correction... some scratches were beyond repair and I wasnt gonna chase them.

My process:

-M105 w/ TufBuf wool pad using KB method (primed pad and water spritz`s) 3-4 Hits per section 2100 - 2700rpm

-SIP w/ Orange DD cutting pad

-106FA w/ DD blue finishing pad

Before...

After...

The combo worked well on the hard paint but I had some dusting issues as you can see...

Befores...

After...

Before, dull

Aft

The trunk after the first 2 passes of M105, about 80% but it was getting there

After more M105, then the SIP in the sun

Still some rids left, not a big deal as this was not a 100% job

I pulled the car out after the IPA wipedown to check my work

Everything looked pretty good, no holograms from the wool correction:applause2:

Back in the garage for more un-funess

The passenger side panels had more serious issues, more dull than the driver side. These areas were worked at 2400+ rpm

Before...

After...

I finished up correction and re-washed the car. I hate doing it but the dust was in every crack and crevice.

After which it was dried, giving another IPA wipe and I applied DWG by the Flex DA at speed 4. I worked it in until clear and buffed off imediately.

DWG added a nice depth and slickness, I find with silver cars you gotta do whatever you can to make them look as wet as possible.

I pulled it out around 6 (not what ya think pervs)... No LSP yet, just a couple shots outside

Back inside I began the interior work which wasnt too bad and dressed all the trim and polished all the metal accents (some parts were too far rusted to bring back)

LSP of choice:

Jetseal 109 x2

Finished pics after FK425 wipedown

(Notice the trim piece on the passenger side, cracking off)

This was one of the most frustrating corrections I have worked on. The biggest issue was that I booked (and charged) for a 12hr detall and ended up spending 20hrs.

I know the owner (young man) bought the car used as a restoration project and asked if I could help him out. If I stopped at 12hrs the car would have still looked like crap. I did everything I could in the timeframe I had to make it look presentable.

He went home a happy camper and the genuine smile he made when he saw it made the extra hours go down easier but I made a promise to myself that I will do no more favors! Paint correction shouldnt be a favor, it takes too long and in the end most people never fully appreciate what you have to go through.

Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice. I ccan remember buffing those things back in the mid to late 90`s yeah they were tough! nice work bud!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    hands down... great work!!! there def is some shine now.

i have a 1990 5 series next week... )=

btw, i love your rack for bottles and tools, i might have to steal that idea. my shelves work for now
    GLENN | BLACK PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsms
    I made a promise to myself that I will do no more favors! Paint correction shouldnt be a favor, it takes too long and in the end most people never fully appreciate what you have to go through.

Thanks for looking

i am glad i learn something today , nice job :xyxthumbs , u got it to the end.
    ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work and it came out looking new. Luckily the extra time I put into the S2000 recently was my own time.
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    great work man. it`s tough to make a car that color shine like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I was the one that referred him to you.

Sorry about what you had to go through with the car. :doh

But know that he`s happy and just proves that you do amazing work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsms
    [I made a promise to myself that I will do no more favors! Paint correction shouldnt be a favor, it takes too long and in the end most people never fully appreciate what you have to go through.

Thanks for looking

[/B]

COMPLETELY AGREE. if people knew what kinda work actually goes into correcting a car they would definately understand why we charge what we charge vs. the $50 express detailing hacks out there.

and great job man, if you could see the different facial expressions i make while reading your write ups and seeing the before and after pics you would lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice indeed!

Can you make it so it`s "1988 BMW M6!"

That`s an awesome classic and one of my favorites; less the wheels, BBS RS would

be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Parthen
    Hey, I was the one that referred him to you.

Sorry about what you had to go through with the car. :doh

But know that he`s happy and just proves that you do amazing work.

No worries, in the end Alans face was worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Dave! Sounds like you got your hands on some of the diamond-hard crap I deal with daily! This almost sounds as hard as the Maserati Merak I did a couple of months ago... the most aggressive combo I had didn`t put a dent in it until I went into light-speed and chucked an extra 30 lbs. of pressure on it! Getting the buffer trails out of a red car like that one was even more enjoyable... at one time I actually saw smoke rising from the paint!! Not dust, SMOKE!
    Wolf`s Chemicals Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work as allways !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks amazing and I am glad the KBRM worked for you! You did a great job at learning the process quickly! I remember the first time Kevin told me about his method, I was going through the wall on this repainted S2k, everyone said this and that throwing around crazy suggestions, and then Kevin steps in, actually gives me a call and walked me through it on the phone. Needless to say it worked miraculously and I use the method VERY often on hard clears like that.
    Presidential Automotive Detailing - Tampa, FL - Click To See our latest Details and Customer Reviews

Follow Us! - Become A Fan Of Presidential Automotive Detailing On Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks amazing Dave!!

Sometimes you just get a car that throws you for a loop...

Despite the extra time you had to invest, it was well worth it in the end.

I`m with you, no more favors for anyone!! Great work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work Dave! :xyxthumbs

You should have told the owner to remove that UGLY pin strip though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information