Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    As I think rydawg, MBenz, and Clean Dean, (and others I`m not thinking of) would agree, IMO to *REALLY* appreciate what great work this is you have to have some experience with Benzes of that vintage. The clear is lacquer, thin, and somewhat fragile under the best of circumstances. To do that sort of aggressive work on it without simply cutting through takes an incredible amount of skill

And heh heh, I`ve been giving bufferbarry plenty of those lectures about ETGing the paint

bufferbarry- Ah, now that I see things more clearly, the spots I was worried about don`t look so bad. That turned out even better than I`d thought, what a save!

Did it seem like the *oxidation* was what like a really hard layer on top of the paint? What I mean is, I never found the clear on those very hard, and the most aggressive of your steps would normally, IME, have cut off a *whole* lotta clear in no time :think:

Days later, I`m still amazed that you had to get that aggressive! When you told me what you were doing I was simply :nervous2:

By no means am I trying to toot my own horn here. but yes accumulator you are right! This paint takes alot of skill to work, even in the better conditioned ones. The oxidation was like concrete on the top of the clear. I compound this very hard and very aggressive. the first step was more about cutting threw the concrete felt oxidation, then even after I was finished and did an ipa wipedown I noticed some still was present. So the second step more or less was to reomove the remaining oxidation. to what could be removed. Now at this point I knew I had taken the paint to the limit as far as I could so I used the kevin brown method ( to the best of my knowledge ) ON a gear driven da this is actually designed from my understanding to do some serious sanding threw bondoing. To some it up its more like a pc on some serious steroids. Very tough to control but killer results. Then once the oxidation was removed with all that serious compounding I had a fresh base to start with and it was loaded with all kinds of holograms from the ground and pound type method of compounding I used on it. so the m105 completely refined the finish, and them m205 has a great polished look to it. I thought I could do more, being the nut case I am with a buffer, I thought I`m gonna jewel it and that was the end reult. But yes it was a very tuff detail. Thanks for the kind words. I was gonna name this one "ONE FOR ACCUM lol. I hope I gave one of your favorites justice. thanks man!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy sh1t, man... now THAT is a save!!! Nice one!
    Wolf`s Chemicals Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jesse! hope all is well in hungary for ya!
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I`ll never get past weekend warrior status, THIS is the reason I spend all my time on this site. Just knowing what some of you guys are capable of is simply amazing and sort of inspiring. My wife, who is sick to death of seeing 50/50s and always being dragged to the computer to "check this out", was completely speechless when she saw this one. I think that`s the best part, when you can wow someone with absolutely ZERO interest in car detailing, you`re definitely doing something right.

Barry, you`ll be getting pats on the back and "attaboys" for a long time over this save. Enjoy every last one, because you earned it for sure. BTW, consider this thread bookmarked!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry
    By no means am I trying to toot my own horn here. but yes ..[this took some skill]..

Heh heh, toot away man, you earned it

And heh heh#2..."don`t try this stuff at home, kids"

The oxidation was like concrete on the top of the clear. I compound this very hard and very aggressive. the first step was more about cutting threw the concrete felt oxidation..

Thanks for confirming that..I was simply astounded that you had to use the Ardex on that paint at 3K!

I used the kevin brown method ( to the best of my knowledge ) ON a gear driven da this is actually designed from my understanding to do some serious sanding threw bondoing. To some it up its more like a pc on some serious steroids. Very tough to control but killer results..

That sounds a little like my Flex, but with undoubtedly a different throw/etc. I *think* I used air-powered DAs like that back in the day when I worked in a bodyshop. Hey, I`m sure that any guy who can sand autopaint with a PC can use that DA just fine

.. I was gonna name this one "ONE FOR ACCUM lol. I hope I gave one of your favorites justice. thanks man!

Hey, *NO QUESTION* you did it justice. One more old-timer looking better than it woulda in anybody else`s hands :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    save of the year? quite possibly!!!!

the turn around is so dramatic... to someone who didn`t know about the type of work individuals like you do: they would think it was photoshopped for sure. People always love seeing the exotics and garage queens: but threads like this are my personal favorites. Taking a beat-to-death car and making it look new again. Not only did the paint look FUBAR, but the wheels looked beyond savable as well. Truly a skilled and dedicated work of art. I only wish I could see this beauty in person. No way the pics do justice to how bad it was, nor to how great it looks now. Good to see fellow grunts doing good work!

-Marc
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MuttGrunt
    save of the year? quite possibly!!!!

This one`s definitely got my vote for "Turn Around of the Year"! I just had to look at this one again ...
    Wolf`s Chemicals Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like
    thats just an amazing turn around! Completely amazing.
    Supreme Clean Automotive Detailing, LLC

Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I nominate for turn around of the year as well.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, excellent work.

Forget turnaround of the year, can this go into the Guinness Book of records?

Post Thanks / Like
    So where`s the 2009 "Top 25 detailers in the nation" list? I think Barry needs on that bad beast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bufferberry wins by excessive shine on an older benz. That is the turn around of the year. Very nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great job, BUT, the paint will slowly return to the same state you saw it in before you started. These older Mercedes had no clear coat and you can only do so much with them. It may look great for a couple weeks or even a few months, but as soon at the protection starts to wear...bam it looks like a clucker again. I know.... I`ve done MANY of them and I used to own one. The good news is that the owner will need to bring it to you often for a very expensive detail if he/she wishes to keep it in that condition. I`m made some good money doing this for people with these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mini1
    That is a great job, BUT, the paint will slowly return to the same state you saw it in before you started. These older Mercedes had no clear coat ... I know.... I`ve done MANY of them and I used to own one..

Different experience here:

I too have owned/detailed a number of W126 Benzes, the earliest model-year of which was my `86 SEC. All of mine were original paint, all of them were clearcoated. I`ve *never* seen a post-`86 W126 with single stage paint and I`ve seen quite a few of them.

While there`s some debate as to when MB switched to *all* bc/cc paint, my factory literature from `84 goes into some detail about the then-new clearcoat systems used on the S-class Benzes of that vintage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That`s amazing! When you said it wouldn`t be perfect, I never would have expected it to actually look perfect! Great job!
    2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information