Post Thanks / Like
    2004 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas

Wow what a gongshow of a detail†Please be sure to read the ‘subsections’ within the photos, or else you will miss the reasons why this Jag was my archnemisis for almost 30 hours†It’s a long read but I really needed to ventâ€

This is the first time the decal I had created for my rear windshield brought me business. The owner of this Jag saw my car in a parking lot, checked the website, and ended up contacting me. I headed out for an inspection of the car, and we agreed upon a 2-step correction; no interior, no wheel cleaning, nothing. Fix the paint, that was my job. There were 2 deep scratches that even wetsanding would not have removed; other than that, the entire car was marred to sh*t but I wasn’t too worried. Now, read back to the part where I said we agreed upon a wham-bam-thank-you-maam 2 step polish lol†let us beginâ€

Saturday 7am: Compounding. Test spot M105/white. No go†So you want to be a tough guy, eh?, that’s ok†M105/orange with lots o pressure and we were in business! Called it a night at 7pm, cracked a pint and kicked back, the hard part’s done†lay down some finishing polish in the AM and enjoy the rest of the (Canadian) long weekendâ€

[IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/chstyles/Jaguar

/jag238.jpg[/IMG]

Saturday 7am: So everything is looking great! The 105/orange actually finished out very nicely on this hard clear, I was impressed! I couldn’t wait to lay down some 205 as this was the first time I have ever used it†finished up around 1pm, and pulled her out into the sun to check out my masterful artwork. Jesus H. Christ. The car was marred beyond BELIEF, about 100x worse than when I got the car. In EVERY angle in the sun, the was marring and hologramming over every square inch†the scary part was, not 1 bit of it was visible under halogen or LED lighting†I did capture a LITTLE bit of it with the flash of my camera though after I knew where to look, but no where near what it looked like in the sun. I didn’t get photos in the sun as it didn’t occur to me to take photos of crap lol†I used the flash in the garage to see if I could use the flash to see it, and check my work.

So my next step, I pull the car inside, tape of a 12x12 section that was EXTRA marred, and polish with 205/white again. Wipe down, looks perfect. Back outside, crap. Back inside. I then redid the same area with white/OPII. Pulled it outside and removed the polish in the sun, under a very careful eye†low and behold, the finish was perfect, but the MF TOWEL WAS MARRING THE FINISH!!!!!!!! WHEW, problem solved. Busted out my shag rags (uber plushness, I only use them for buffing off LSP) and did a couple test spots. Success in the sun (on a 12x12 area on the trunk). OK, lets get to it. Re-polished the entire car with OPII and removed polish with shag rag. 6pm, sun is setting and I bring it back out into the sun one last time†or so I though. SCRATCHES EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!! They looked like holograms but about 100x more apparent and worse. I threw up in my mouth a little bit. It was 6pm, the car was worse than when I got it 2 days ago and the owner was picking it up at noon the next day. I inspected the marring closer, and ran my shag rag across it, and sure enough marring was created exactly where I touched the paint in the same direction I swiped. But wait a minute. I rubbed my finger HARD across the grain of a serried of the marks, and it disappearedâ€? Was this polishing oil being spread around the finish? I pulled it back inside to inspect†take a peek – you will see where I rubbed across the grain of the marring and it disappeared. You have to know that I pushed REAL hard into the paint for the mark to removeâ€

SOOOOOOO once again I thought I was in the clear†Busted out the good ol’ IPA spray (non-diluted). Didn’t do a damn thing (and I am stumped at this point). I grab some ONR spray – nothing. Fill up a spray bottle with ice water and spray on / wipe off. Nothing. The only thing that worked was rubbing the SH*T out of the (what I assume is polishing oil reside) with a not-so-plush MF towel. But of course, then I ACTUALLY marred the paint all to hell. I was about ready to quit the detailing business at this point. Then I thought to myself, when did I see this paint looking pretty much perfect� Right after M105/orange! There is not much oil in 105, and it wipes off with ease (and it dusts like crazy too). So I do a test panel right where you see the big streak above with 105/black, and I have what looked to be success. Buffed off, looked good. However it is 8pm now with no sun, and I had learned by this point that with this car, I will reserve my judgment until I see sun. Either way, it LOOKED good in the halo’s and LED so away I went, repolishing the car for the 3rd or 4th time and pulled the chute at 1am. Sweet baby jesus let the sun treat me good in the AM as the client is picking up at noon.

6am. Wake up. Pull car into driveway. Bring coffee pot outside, sit in lawnchair beside Jag and wait. The sun wouldn’t be up for another hour or so, so I just sat and contemplated my existence, wondering what I did in my previous life to deserve such a fantastic car to work on. 7am, sun is up over the houses and I get my first look. Holograms. Much better than before, but holograms from the 105. Client scheduled to pickup in 5 hours. My apologies, but the camera got put away at this point as it was go time to find SOME sort of solution†Pics of this stage; didn’t catch them the night before; invisible in the halogens, invisible in LED and only minutely visible by flash if it is in the right position;

I tried more combos / techniques on the trunk, all to no avail. Same problem every time; polishing oil on the paint, not coming off unless I press real hard, then I end up scratching the paint. One last thing to try; polished the trunk, wiped down VERY LIGHTLY with the oil still on the paint. Load up a black pad with an acrylic glaze and apply via PC. Allow to haze, wipe off with shag rag. I about arrived in my pants. Perfect.

8am. Polish entire car AGAIN with OPII, this time with a 4†white pad (just to make it as long as possible LOL) working each section nice and long, breaking down the polish entirely. Lightly buffed the car afterwards to remove most of the polishing residue, then redid the entire car AGAIN with the acrylic glaze. The buffed the entire car by hand and pulled it out into the sun. Perfect from every angle. I am guessing the glaze encapsulated the polishing oil, and when it hardened and I removed the glaze residue, the polish residue came with it. Owner arrive at Noon, as I was just finishing up removing bits of polish and wax from the nooks and crannies. He was blown away and HAPPILY handed over the dough for this ‘2-step’ polish LOLâ€.. Here are the pics after the glaze process; my camera died just to make everything perfect right as I was going to pull out into the sun†how convenient. Owner took his own photos and better damn well send me some.

I am having my 2nd pint of the long weekend as I type this, and it’s Monday at 615pm. I thought I got into this for the ability to work your own hours and enjoy he holidays LOL. Thanks for reading this novel, and I hope this experience ends up helping one of you someday if you run into a clear like to hold onto the oil then scratch all to hell when you try and remove it.

Chris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Sounds like a scary amount of work! I have had similar experiences in the past and they aren`t too fun...but it really feels good when you conquer the demons!

K u d o s for sticking with it!

I have found lately that no artificial light I use picks up the amount of defects I look for. Sun is the only truth. I need a 3M Sun Gun, but refuse to pay the $400 at this time...i think that will be the end all for my chasing of the paint demons.

Anyway, I feel it man....seuper (spelled right) deuper job!
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what an epic. I am glad you pulled it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude...you had me rolling reading this (I was laughing WITH you, not at you!). I`m glad you found the right combination in the end. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC17
    Dude...you had me rolling reading this (I was laughing WITH you, not at you!). I`m glad you found the right combination in the end. Good job.

Glad I could help out LOL... I am still all pent up and uptight, even though the devil reincarnate left my garage about 7 hours ago...haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can make the garage completely dark or just go outside at night and put halogens on it, holograms will show. At least in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I feel much better. :thx I had a similar problem a few weeks ago ALSO with a black Jaguar. It took me forever to come up with the proper pad combo. I finally settled for the orange/black pad.

Thank you for sharing in detail that experience that is one to remember. :xyxthumbs:getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Soft paint nightmare, we all get them from time to time. there are sometimes when 205 just will not work....... that is why I have everything to get the paint to finish down from PO85 to ultrafina and GI evolution etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you figured it out, turned out terrific!

I`ve been in the same situation, hard cars like that where nothing seems to work and it takes forever to figure out a combination that finally does the trick.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Funniest thing that I`ve read in a long time. Great job on plugging away and working until you found what worked--very professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. Now that it is a new day, I am grateful to have had this experience as it only helps me to learn! The next time I run into this type of situation, at least I will have a starting point with technique / products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you guys elaborate a bit more about the "Soft paint"

Post Thanks / Like
    Soft paint is when a car has a clearcoat that is easily scratched / marred. Usually easy to correct and hard to finish out. Hard clear coats are more scratch resistant, but much harder to correct. Once corrected however, they usually finish out pretty easily without drama.

Here are the after pics that the owner took this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    DefiningDetails- Good job, and a great learning experience, huh? That was good thinking about the glaze soaking up those polishing oils :xyxthumbs

For holograms (and some similar issues like those oils), you simply *have* to have natural sunlight IME.

Quote Originally Posted by D Tailor
    ... Sun is the only truth. I need a 3M Sun Gun, but refuse to pay the $400 at this time...i think that will be the end all for my chasing of the paint demons...

I can`t see light holograms/etc. with my SunGun. I know Dave KG uses his for this, but I simply *CANNOT* see them with mine, even when I know exactly where they are. I don`t mean to be a wet blanket, but I sure don`t want you to waste the $ on the SunGun expecting to see everything with it only to have it just sit on the shelf most of the time the way mine does.

Thread Information