Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pure sickening to me..........:furious:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he was thinking with his dipstick............:chuckle:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ :har: OWWW! Why`d you hit me?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m still in shock at all of this. as pointed out by others - we all have to start somewhere and surely everyone has made mistakes in the past. messing up trim could almost be thought of that.... but what about a sloppy clean-up? how do u BEGIN to justify that? that`s not a "different technique" or a "slip of the rotary." i just don`t understand. If someone had me work on such a vehicle I can`t imagine leaving it with crap all over the place.

i feel so bad for the otherwise beautiful lamborghini
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a very pissed off owner if I picked up my car and found trim burned away. I definitely wouldn`t pay a penny either. Seriously, this happens all to often and it really is frustrating. Rotaries are serious tools which should be handled by professionals who are well aware of the harm which can be done. Doesn`t matter what the value of the car is. I`ve seen glass actually damaged by a rotary which skipped across the surface.

Blows my mind how people can claim to be experts.

When people ask me to detail there car I usually say no, I would charge more than you would want to spend. Good work requires at least 30 - 40 hrs and some disassembly of the car to get it done properly. It also requires that you take hte time to clean between the body lines, cover trim and go very slow. No excuse for the garbage produced by this guy, especially at the prices quoted.

Unbelievable.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBZ 500E
    ....Good work requires at least 30 - 40 hrs and some disassembly of the car to get it done properly.....No excuse for the garbage produced by this guy, especially at the prices quoted.

Unbelievable.

Poor Lambo. Came all the way to America only to be abused.

I don`t see many talk about disassembly of lights and trim and so on. Maybe this is another thread, but to ya`all take the time to do that when necessary?

(Not a pro. Just watching and admiring the GOOD work. The good ones know who they are.)

:thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink
    Poor Lambo. Came all the way to America only to be abused.

I don`t see many talk about disassembly of lights and trim and so on. Maybe this is another thread, but to ya`all take the time to do that when necessary?

(Not a pro. Just watching and admiring the GOOD work. The good ones know who they are.)

:thx

Disassembly depends on what is being done. For example, concours prep definitely requires removal of some trim/lights etc to clean inside and get access to visible areas which can`t be cleaned with Q-Tips etc. But if you`re not doing concours work or getting paid for it then at minimum trim should be taped off and avoided by a rotary to avoid damage. This should be common practice IMHO.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes!

I see that some of the photos are gone now?

Anyway, I have been detailing for a few years now but I don`t do it professionally...

I mostly do my cars and my friend`s cars and have found that I too learn something new almost every time I do a different car.

And I agree about the experience comments too. Before I ever picked up a PC I read and read and read and watched videos and videos heh. But the real learning is in the doing.

Same when I moved to a rotary. Much reading and watching of vids, but I`ve only been using the rotary for about a year now and I still take it very slow and am EXTREMELY careful because I respect the machine and follow the sage advice given here and elsewhere.

Either way I DEFINITELY tape off any trim no matter if the car was a Lambo or a Yugo.

It seems like maybe this guy just got a little ahead of himself and perhaps bit off more than he could chew.

I wouldn`t have even attempted to polish that area with a machine. I do all jambs and tight areas like that by hand... so I`m not even sure how he managed to do that.

Anyway, I hope he does pay for that trim and refunds the guy`s money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still not exactly sure what`s going on...can someone just give a summary of what happened? All of the pictures are down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace M3
    I`m still not exactly sure what`s going on...can someone just give a summary of what happened? All of the pictures are down.

From what i can gather the OP claimed to be the best detailer ever. Flew from Canada to the us to detail a Lambo.

proceeded to make a rookie mistake and destroy some trim on the lambo.

Owner of the car gets pissed (rightfully so the price for the detail was insane).

The OP disapears.

Post Thanks / Like
    holy crap!! I never even clicked this thread when it first started. i thought-Teaser? ehh I hate teasers.

Now, i start seeing all the little comments and sarcasm in some other thrads, i read this and then read through the lambo site thread.

wow is all I can say. As an amateur detailer, it`s just another reminder to myself not to ever think/pretend that I`m something that I`m not. I make a little money on the side and I`ve worked on some luxury cars (not exotic). I don`t charge astronomical amounts because frankly, I want to be fair to the customer.

this was very entertaining but mostly unfortunate for the lambo owner and also for the young guy for how this all turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    posted just for you

Thanks! :LOLOL
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Again Dave is absoultly SPOT on here. :woot2: I`ve been doing this for over 14 years now and I still learn something new every season. I still aspire to "master" a technique. And I didn`t learn any of it from reading a forum or watching videos. You don`t get in shape by "watching" work out videos LOL

Same here. 15 years full time in April of this year. I learn something new pretty much every day.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Same here. 15 years full time in April of this year. I learn something new pretty much every day.

Wow, being 19 I hope that I can amass HALF of the knowledge that you and many of the other great detailers on this website have stored up, but I just read the Lambo forum and I dont really know what to say... I have only been detailing for about two years and like you I learn something new every detail, but I can not seem to find out how this guy even managed to burn that trim if he had taken the proper safety precautions that you should always take when polishing a car. I suppose he did not take those precautions, and I feel sorry for those guys who got involved on that lambo forum. They shouldnt have had to defend themselves from some crook who did not know what they were doing...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^it`s one thing to burn the trim because mistakes happen (I`ve done it once lightly on a BMW, never again) but when you charge thousands of dollars for the detail, then mess up and run... well then you deserve all the hate
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information