Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very well built car.... the guy really has some talent. Great write-up and documentation Josh, it was very informative..... thanks! I can`t wait to see the Nomad!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    unbelieveable josh!

The painter/sander/detailer, all did an amazing job on that car.

Some girl will have a very awesome 2 year late birthday present, but I am sure it was worth the wait.:clap::clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sick work Josh and a fantastic write up! That sure was a lot of real estate to cover my friend!

Quick tip when working any of the gloss it polishes via rotary you need to spray the gloss enhancer QD spray in between polishing to get a longer work time out of them and also it helps reduce the micro scratches and holograms a ton! I just did some extensive testing with my makita and all the polishes and I got the finish to come out swirl and hologram free everytime. Gloss enhancer is the key!

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible work, there`s nothing like orange peel-free black paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by d00t
    Stunning teasers! I noticed the stack of pads you`ve accumulated. At what point do you decide you need to start with a new pad? When the entire pad is soiled, does it lose cutting power so it`s a good idea to switch?

Ha, I`ve accumulated quite a stack too - but I like how many white`s you went through, as I go through less as the stages progress and the polishes become finer, as they tend to be nicer to pads and not cake up as much. I`d be interested to see the full writeup as well!

Gorgeous BTW, I love how you can actually see the swirls of the car that`s 10 feet away, through the reflection of the car you worke don. Amazing! :xyxthumbs
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! And a great write up i enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsms
    Sick work Josh and a fantastic write up! That sure was a lot of real estate to cover my friend!

Quick tip when working any of the gloss it polishes via rotary you need to spray the gloss enhancer QD spray in between polishing to get a longer work time out of them and also it helps reduce the micro scratches and holograms a ton! I just did some extensive testing with my makita and all the polishes and I got the finish to come out swirl and hologram free everytime. Gloss enhancer is the key!

Thanks, you know I previously tested out the Gloss It again on a black Volvo and did exactly as you suggested with the enhancer spray and it did help a little with the spread life of the evoluation cut and evolution polish but even after extensive jeweling it just did not finish down hologram free.... unfortunately. (at least it`s not masking anything, that`s for sure):xyxthumbs
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    Thanks, you know I previously tested out the Gloss It again on a black Volvo and did exactly as you suggested with the enhancer spray and it did help a little with the spread life of the evoluation cut and evolution polish but even after extensive jeweling it just did not finish down hologram free.... unfortunately. (at least it`s not masking anything, that`s for sure):xyxthumbs

Check out my latest test using the makita and gloss it. See if this process works for you.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...-showdown.html

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad, if you look closely you can still see some holograms near the bottle just over the lip of the fender.

What holograms? Can someone open this picture in Paint and circle in red the holograms? I don`t see any defects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWinLDS
    What holograms? Can someone open this picture in Paint and circle in red the holograms? I don`t see any defects.

The holograms look like VERY subtlety curving smiley faces(ie almost flat)- horizontal if you get what I mean.

They are very hard to capture in that type of lighting...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think those look more like sanding scratches....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenHulk
    Great pics, Josh.

I love that engine...not so sure about the color choice for the valve covers and such, but regardless, it`s done very well.

Well, I forget why now, but there was a specific reason why they choose they color for the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pampos
    Amazing job,fantastic results and great write up there.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    That is a very well built car.... the guy really has some talent. Great write-up and documentation Josh, it was very informative..... thanks! I can`t wait to see the Nomad!

Thanks, yes he did an outstanding job on the car, took him nearly 3 years though. I`m supposed to be doing the Nomad sometime in the near future, wait till you see it`s engine bay, puts this Lemans to shame....

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffdogg06
    unbelieveable josh!

The painter/sander/detailer, all did an amazing job on that car.

Some girl will have a very awesome 2 year late birthday present, but I am sure it was worth the wait.:clap::clap:

Thanks, yes we all did a great job. Total hours just rubbing the paint was around 55 hours. 25 hours sanding and about 30 hours polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRumble
    Incredible work, there`s nothing like orange peel-free black paint.

Very true, the owner wants to give me all the credit but I keep telling him he`s the one that sanded it so well....:2thumbs:

Quote Originally Posted by charlesaferg
    Ha, I`ve accumulated quite a stack too - but I like how many white`s you went through, as I go through less as the stages progress and the polishes become finer, as they tend to be nicer to pads and not cake up as much. I`d be interested to see the full writeup as well!

Gorgeous BTW, I love how you can actually see the swirls of the car that`s 10 feet away, through the reflection of the car you worke don. Amazing! :xyxthumbs

Thanks, you can probably easily add another 4-5 pads to that stack after I went back to touch it up and seal it. The car is huge and black and nearly orange peel free so there is plenty of room for nice reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by mixxer
    Nice work! And a great write up i enjoyed it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading/searching the net a long time for exactly this. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenHulk
    .......I love that engine...not so sure about the color choice for the valve covers and such, but regardless, it`s done very well.

Well, I forget why now, but there was a specific reason why they choose they color for the engine...............
    Blue is sort of a traditional color Pontiac used on their engines:

Pontiac Engine Colors

When I saw it I thought it was pretty cool in the sense that even though it was a modern transplant they incorporated the Pontiac logo and engine colors.

John

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information