Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, it turned out really well.

What size LC pads did you use with the M205 and M105? I have some LC pads but they are all 6.5", and I am guessing those are way to big to get any good results

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I will follow this guide when I do my car.

If you did apply the wax on top, would you just do this step by hand? How soon would you redo this process?
    2005 Aspen White STi

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had problems with the mirror, hood scoop and wing fading slightly when compared to the rest of your paint?
    2005 Aspen White STi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineIRL
    Nice work, it turned out really well.

What size LC pads did you use with the M205 and M105? I have some LC pads but they are all 6.5", and I am guessing those are way to big to get any good results

They were the 6.5" pads.

Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiars 105 and 295, Lake Country Foam pads

They were ungaingly for handling all the odd angles on this car, but I had no other complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusker
    Thanks! I will follow this guide when I do my car.

If you did apply the wax on top, would you just do this step by hand? How soon would you redo this process?

I probably won`t do much 105 next spring, but I will hit it with 205 and top it with more sealant. Might do another top later in the summer, and before winter with a fall clay job.

I just do the carnuba and sealant by hand. It doesnt need to be "buffed" in, just applied, cured, and knocked off.

I haven`t had any issues on the mirror-wing. Just the front bumper is becoming off color and hood-fender-mirror paint is really thin. I`m thinking about takign it in, having the front bumper, fenders and hood resprayed and blended into the rest of the car. My car is driven all year round, and garaged parked all the time.
    `05 STI (Aspen white/gold), CB-M105-M205-Four* Premium Paint Protection w/7424xp

Post Thanks / Like
    Were you able to do the hood scoop, and wing with the PC?
    2005 Aspen White STi

Post Thanks / Like
    What sealants have you used on your Subaru? That`s all I need to buy before I get started on my car.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Post Thanks / Like
    that is one terrific looking WRX . Great looking reflections on a beautifull white paint .

Cheers ,

Jean Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jean Paul.

March 2011 Update. Another winter, another survival.

I didn`t drive it much this winter, but it sure did get the abuse. Major problem detailing this car is the amount of claying required on the rear bumper and decklid. It seems that the aerodynamics of the car really sucks muck off the road and deposits it right on the back. Lots of inadvertent marring just to get the contaminants off.

One thing I have been doing over the past few winters is mixing up a 1/3 ATF + 2/3 CRC Powerlube mixture (trick picked up on from the Bimmer forums) and putting it in a industrial spray bottle and coating the entire underside of the car before winter. This seems to do a good job keeping rust from encroaching on the car. It works by making a dirty dust layer on the metal parts, like assembly lube and it doesnt blow off with a carwash. This car is 6 years old, and driven like a tank in the winter on some of the worst salted roads in the country and the only underbody corrosion to speak of is around the rear hubs-strut mounting and a little bit on the trailing arms at a smidge on a few of the underbody bracketing around the hitch mounts. No serious rust-though part destruction. For those living in the rustbelt, I highly recommend doing it.

Over the past 2 days, I did the spring complete detail. It`s a lot of work to do it right.

1. Mothers Clay

2. Megs #205 (***** pure genius) on a PC 7424xp with 4.5 3M backing plate and black LC foam pad

3. Four Star Sealant. So smooooooth

4. Topped it with Megs #26 hi-tech carnuba wax. (Hadn`t gone this extra step in a while, forgot how much optical pop it provides)

Weather was crappy today, and the ISO on the camera doesnt like white, so here is a variety of photos. The reflection is unreal. I can`t believe you can make subaru paint look this good. Can`t wait for a sunny day and I can go blind cars around me.

`05 STI (Aspen white/gold), CB-M105-M205-Four* Premium Paint Protection w/7424xp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information