Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint isn`t the worst part, it`s the fact that it`s on an ugly H2. No, hold one, that`s just a Tahoe with a different body on it, right?

I don`t mind the pink, I personally love the pink. Pink or brown, whatever. I`m not too picky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    No, hold one, that`s just a Tahoe with a different body on it, right?

The chasis may be the same but that would be about it. The underpinning of the H2 is still pretty serious and very capable of handling some nasty stuff.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    ^

lol wth is with "I have a 2 inch Peni$`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mblgjr
    People get mad when I mention that an H1 is a real Hummer; the H2 is a glorified GM pickup; an H3 is nothing more than a rebodied Colorado...
    Like they say, truth hurts.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
    ^

lol wth is with "I have a 2 inch Peni$`

Someone `chopped it in along with teh flamer on the side.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, if i`m paying 15 racks for a paint job, I will be expecting perfection and that will be known up front.
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys may be a little tough on the pricing. I worked recently on a 71 cuda` show car. The paint was $30k on it. That`s pretty standard pricing really. You aren`t just paying for somebody to spray. The Cuda` had hours of blocking, welding body gaps, re-cutting body gaps, fitting, etc. It`s not like you just pull in, pay a ton of money, and wait a couple hours while they spray it.

Think about your own detailing prices for a minute. Let`s say you charge $50hr. It doesn`t take long to get to $15k. At $50hr it`s 300 hours. Good paint jobs easily have 300 man hours into them once it`s all said and done. Guys that are good at blocking have been doing it for 20 years or more usually. They charge a premium and people are more than happy to pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M
    I think you guys may be a little tough on the pricing. I worked recently on a 71 cuda` show car. The paint was $30k on it. That`s pretty standard pricing really. You aren`t just paying for somebody to spray. The Cuda` had hours of blocking, welding body gaps, re-cutting body gaps, fitting, etc. It`s not like you just pull in, pay a ton of money, and wait a couple hours while they spray it.

Think about your own detailing prices for a minute. Let`s say you charge $50hr. It doesn`t take long to get to $15k. At $50hr it`s 300 hours. Good paint jobs easily have 300 man hours into them once it`s all said and done. Guys that are good at blocking have been doing it for 20 years or more usually. They charge a premium and people are more than happy to pay for it.

Thank you. It`s even more expensive when doing a color change and spraying candy colors. You get what you pay for. I`ve never seen a cheap show quality paint job? aypal:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`ve never seen a cheap show quality paint job?

True but I`ve seen a lot of alleged show cars with some pretty cheap paint jobs! :LOLOL
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

I think i`m being tough on the finished product, not the pricing. If I pay 15 racks for a paint job on a brand new vehicle, obviously there`s no need for the hours and hours of work like the 36 yr old `Cuda needed, but even if there was I would expect that the end result would be a beautiful job done with a finish that resembles a mirror, free from orange peel. I don`t think that`s asking too much.

Your pricing example is horrendous
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Post Thanks / Like
    It cost that much because it was done at a Hummer body shop. No one around here would charge that much to paint a vehicle like that. The only way I can see it costing that much is if they took the whole body off of the frame and did it that way. I`m not really familiar with the H2`s. Are the firewalls painted the same color as the rest of the vehicle? If so was the firewall painted candy as well? Around this area to do that work including a color sand and buff it would probably be around $7000-$9000. As for the guy posting the $30k for the cuda...yeah...that is normal for a show car. The pictures above are not a show car and are nowhere near perfect. Also like you said...there was extensive body work. When you do an old car it takes time usually months just on body work. This thing should have been done in 3 weeks tops. Hopefully only 2 to 2 1/2. Anyway, it is just like everything else...location, location, location. You can get a car detailed here for $25 and it would cost $150 in cali :laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rkf76

Your pricing example is horrendous
    For what reason?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qballjr13
    The chasis may be the same but that would be about it. The underpinning of the H2 is still pretty serious and very capable of handling some nasty stuff.
    H2`s get stuck in terrain that real hummers laugh at.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what reason?
    You said:

"Think about your own detailing prices for a minute. Let`s say you charge $50hr. It doesn`t take long to get to $15k."

Reading that, the first thing that came to mind was "damn, that`s one hell of a detail job!" But then I realized that you are taking the hypothetical hourly charge for detailing and calculating how long it would take to rack up 15g`s in doing the custom paint job at that same rate.

It`s like comparing apples to oranges.

If you paid 15 racks for a paint job, would you be happy if it had hella orange peel?
    I <3 Hi-Temp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information