Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone. Been piling up c&b`s lately but this one deserves it`s own, not only because it`s a cool car, but the condition it was in when I arrived was

Story is that the current owner bought it recently, it`s in wonderful mechanical shape, body is in great shape and the paint is only 6 years old. Unfortunately the previous owner, or a bad detailer decided to color-sand the car to reduce some of the already minimal orange peel. Obviously they used a rather low grit paper/block and didn`t quite know how to remove all the marring - they didn`t remove much OP either, incidentally.

So the condition was bad. Very large swaths or what appeared to be maybe 1000 grit sanding marks all over the car. The hood was accosted by a rotary at some point; there were halograms almost down through the clear.

I checked the paint with my PTG and it was reading all over the map from 18 to 30 microns; I decided to use the PC only because I was pretty sure the clear was thinned quite a bit on the horizontal panels. I knew we would have to live with some deeper marring, but better to extend the paints life I think. Paint was very soft, I had a hard time finishing down clean on it. This detail showed me how reliant I`ve been on the Makita lately. The PC did a great job, but soooo slow.

I had to leave the car inside because it rained all day. I know, total bummer. :/

Process:

Hi-Temp EC/yellow via PC

Hi Temp HC/orange via PC

106ff/grey via PC

Metal got P21S polishing soap via white/PC (works great, BTW), cleaned the chrome up very nicely!

Lots of trim restore!

Zymol Destiny (I got a sample of this, been wanting to try it for awhile, so hey why not)

Sanding gone wrong...

close up!

The most OP on the car was on the rear deck. I removed the rack to find this:

I actually had to sand this part with 3000 grit super lightly (it read 25 microns, so I was ok) to get most of it out. Uhg.

Hood wasn`t much better...

More coming.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the car....super sweet! I love the red and the chrome....man they don`t make them like that any more.

Great work on the polishing and sanding. I had to do a quick wetsand and polish on a fresh repaint today. Porsche called me to do this on a hard top for a Carrera and it`s so much easier to do this on fresh paint so I can really appreciate the work that you put into this one :2thumbs:

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome picus. i think the people that answer the phone for hi temp should check this thread out. that way they can tell people that you can use ec and hc via pc. thats unreal. how long were you polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Just unreal work! The paint looks crystal clear under the lights and the full car after snots...just wow! Unreal depth and wetness!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine
    awesome picus. i think the people that answer the phone for hi temp should check this thread out. that way they can tell people that you can use ec and hc via pc. thats unreal. how long were you polishing?

EC definitely works via PC. It gums the pads up after 3-4 panels, but I just switch pads. HC is awesome by PC, in fact if I was working by PC only it`d probably be my "go-to" aggressive polish.

This one took ~9 hours. By the time I was done I was thankful it was a tiny car with no roof!

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Better than new is an understatement. Got to get some HC now. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning work on a beautiful classic! :2thumbs: The red is really deep and glossy looking, its fantastic.
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus- Great job, and that`s interesting about the EC/PC (I`m assuming you used a 6.5" pad, which I was leery of trying).

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfection, even with a PC. Great job!!

Can`t wait to give the HT-HC leveler a go pretty soon, with my PC.

Regards,

Mike
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Drop dead gorgeous car, and outstanding work! :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding looking. Very transparent looking finish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Picus- Great job, and that`s interesting about the EC/PC (I`m assuming you used a 6.5" pad, which I was leery of trying).

Both 6.5" and 4" when needed. It works with both. Obviously it`s not quite as aggressive as with the rotary, but it still finished down very well considering the bite it as and it tends to cake a bit less than with the rotary. It will still cake pads though.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    EC definitely works via PC. It gums the pads up after 3-4 panels, but I just switch pads. HC is awesome by PC, in fact if I was working by PC only it`d probably be my "go-to" aggressive polish.

This one took ~9 hours. By the time I was done I was thankful it was a tiny car with no roof!

Thanks guys.

Can you please explain the working in process of HTEC/HC with the PC? I would be very interested in this. I have a job that needs it.

Thank You!

-Ryan M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information