Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning,

As per my post in the Professional Detailers section, I had it out with this beast yesterday. For some reason, the paint would not correct the way I wanted it. The more and more I read and researched, the more I see that I`m not alone. Corvettes, I guess, have plagued detailers with a tough surface to buff. This one was no different.

Having purchased the car a couple weeks ago, Chris wanted his finish to be rid of the ugly swirl marks and buffer holograms. 25k on the clock, the car was in very nice shape overall. The black paint was smooth (almost no bonded contaminants) and glossy. The trim, wheels, and wells, all in great shape. The holograms were very bad though, so bad , in fact, that on two spots on the hood, I noticed a bit thinning of the clear. The swirls were pretty bad (not shown great because of the dirt), but I battled mostly with the holograms. I made quick work of the initial clean-up and spent a good 4 hours straight of buffing (no breaks). Here`s the polish combos I tried:

-Hi-Temp Extreme Cut/Optimum Car Polish (50/50)

-Hi-Temp Extreme Cut

-Zaino ZPC/Optimum Car Polish (50/50)

-Zaino ZPC

-Optimum Car Polish

-Menzerna PO85RD/CK RMG (50/50)

-Menzerna PO85RD

I experimented with speeds from 900-1700 rpm on my Makita rotary and with pads ranging from a Yellow Cutting to a Red Finessing. My finals were this:

-Dawn Wash

-Zaino Z18 clay with Dawn Wash as lube

-P21s Wheel Cleaner for wheels

-TOL Tire Cleaner cut 50/50 for tires/wells

-Hi-Temp Extreme Cut via rotary and LC Cutting Pad @ 1500 rpm x 2

-Rinse and dry (remove dust)

-Menzerna PO85RD via rotary and LC Finessing Pad @ 1200 rpm x 2

-Rinse and dry (remove oils)

-Zaino Z5 Pro by hand

-Zaino Z8 by hand

-CD-2 Engine Detailer in wells and on lower nose trim (then wiped down after 20 mins)

-Zaino Z16 on tires x 2

Before

After (compounding/polishing only)

Before

After

After polishing, no LSP, please excuse the dust and clutter

Despite the pictures (I tried to capture), the finish was not perfect. The verticals were about 95% and the horizontals were about 90%. I really busted my tail and tried very hard to make this sucker shine.

The one thing I really did learn is that this paint HATES heat. If you have a cool, shady area, you are golden. I worked for most of the day in the sun, in 90* heat. I was almost working backwards. The finish started coming around when the sun tucked behind the trees. I checked my work with the few times when the sun peaked through the leaves as well as with my camera with my flash on full power/brightness.

Questions/Comments/Advice, please .

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely awsome

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, I have been there with the same car, but in red--the clear is just like granite, but finicky as all get out!!!!

I finally had a bit of success with the 3M PI-III line--specifically the extra cut rubbing compound--pretty harsh stuff(hit me up if you want a few oz to try).

The paint still wouldn`t correct the way I wanted it to.

I am not sure if the Z06 paint is different from the regular non-Z06 vettes, but I sure have more trouble with the Z06`s. :nixweiss

It looks awesom man, no need to be down on yourself--though I know *exactly* how you feel.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint is the same on all C5`s and a PITA if ever marred and needs serious correction. :sadpace:

C5 paint is NOT for the faint of heart.

Great job Sean. Actually a remarkable restoration!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Really good work. Two thumbs up! :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work, have you tried something like Sonus Swirlbuster combo to hide the reaming swirls. Or wouldn’t that work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Turned out beautfully Sean! Was this your first Vette? Bet it will be your last after this PITA right? Jk Sometimes 100% defect free isnt obtainable, 90-95% is still VERY excellent!!! Great job bringing the vette back to life!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend trying the SB polish and topping it with a durable carnauba to fill in the remaining imperfections (the only thing that has worked very well for me on my rock hard GM clearcoat, albeit on the GTO), but to be honest, I would have been completely floored with the outcome you achieved there Sean. It may not be perfect, but it looks 100x better than when you started. Still definitely a finish to be proud of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some of the WORST Holograms I have ever seen especially on a car like that. That`s a very very amazing finish.

Great Job!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Sean, that`s an impressive turnaround.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Extremely impressive
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, great work. That hood shot is amazing.

I am new to this and have both ZPC and the newly formulated Optimum Polish. I saw that you mixed the two in one of your trials. I was wondering what that does exactly. Does it make it cut more or less or does it make the polish finish off a bit better. What were you trying to achieve with the mixture that isn`t achieved by each alone. I am going to be detailing a black mustang for my friend next week and would love to know. Thanks in advance for your reply/advice.

Again, nice job on the vette.

Post Thanks / Like
    With holograms deep enough to appear to have thinned the clear, no wonder you can`t get the `Vette 100%. No one can. At a certain point, you just have to live with the defects because to remove them completely would mean thinning the clear all around the holograms too.

Car looks beautiful to me, a really incredible improvement especially with such deep swirls and hard paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the comments .

lucas: I am going to look into that product. Thanks.

Chris: First, yep. And the entire time, I was thinking to myself, "THIS WILL BE MY LAST". I`d like to overcome and learn and hopefully land another shot at a C5.

Nick: Worse than the black Mustang I`m doing tomorrow ?

johnhoefer: I find Optimum as a nice low-medium cut polish that works for nearly EVER. I mix it with some products I have that have short working times and/or dusting problems. It allows to take on the characteristics of both. I`d try ZPC alone first and if you are having trouble, dab a little ocp into the mix.

Scott: Yep, I had to double take in the shade, but it was slightly thinned.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean really nice job per usual detail.

mongo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information