Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, no sweat on being late. The thread is a year old now. Just had a revival of sorts!
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus.......again.....amazing write up and great work on the paint. I was wondering if, when you are in the process of waiting a couple days for the paint to cure, can the car be driven? (As in a daily driver?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep; not a problem. The only pisser sometimes is after 48 hours the touchup will shrink into a deep scratch, so you`ll need to re-apply a bit more then wait again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus do you do work for other people?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also.....What`s the going rate for chip repair like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brit6
    Picus do you do work for other people?

Yep. Click my name then my homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by mose
    Also.....What`s the going rate for chip repair like that?

TBH, I don`t really do just chip repairs. If someone wants one done as part of a detail I will do it, because I will have time during the detail to let the paint dry. Otherwise it`s not really worth the time since I have to sit around for 4-6 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus, I touched up some chips/scratched using your method.

Two issues:

1)When I wet sand it down it seems that it is not sanded all the way to be level with the rest of the paint but yet the primer is peaking through the touch up paint (white specs).

2) I am having issues with the paint matching, I got it from pepboys (dupi color). You said to apply clear if you have mathing issues, how does that fix it? It appears that the touchup paint is lighter than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow this is agreat thread
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much Picus...that is a great write up and I cant wait to follow your step-by-steps and try it on my own car! Autopia kicks-a$$ because of people like you! :2thumbs: :goodjob
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus: To celebrate the second anniversary of this thread`s creation (almost), I`ve got a question for you: How many sheets do you normally use for a touch up job? x sheets per chip/scratch? or x chips/scratches per sheet? I`m about to start the touch up process on my own car, and I would like to order a few sheets from Megs online.

If anyone else wants to chime in with their own experiences, feel free to do so.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you`ll need more than one sheet of each. I can wetsand multiple scratches on multiple cars on the same piece if its cleaned properly after use.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kenleekenlee
    Picus: To celebrate the second anniversary of this thread`s creation (almost), I`ve got a question for you: How many sheets do you normally use for a touch up job? x sheets per chip/scratch? or x chips/scratches per sheet? I`m about to start the touch up process on my own car, and I would like to order a few sheets from Megs online.

If anyone else wants to chime in with their own experiences, feel free to do so.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaStevo
    I don`t think you`ll need more than one sheet of each. I can wetsand multiple scratches on multiple cars on the same piece if its cleaned properly after use.

Hah, funny to see this thread come back. Like Steve said one sheet will do quite a few chips. If you`re using a block you cut the paper to fit the block, and get about 4 usable pieces from that. Each piece will do 10+ chips in my experience.

One note; the sand blocks are pricey, but they last forever. I`ve been using one for almost 2 years now and it`s not even half way gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    is ill be using a pc with an orange pad with optimum compound, what grit sandpaper should i end with? Could i use just 2k grit and be fine, or should i use higher grits after the 2k? Would i be better off using 2k, then 3k, then buffing?

Post Thanks / Like
    great thorough write-up with pics, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Por2geezSupra
    is ill be using a pc with an orange pad with optimum compound, what grit sandpaper should i end with? Could i use just 2k grit and be fine, or should i use higher grits after the 2k? Would i be better off using 2k, then 3k, then buffing?

Well it`s always best to end with the highest grit you have; but you should be able to remove 2k grit marks with OC on an orange pad and a PC.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information