Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    No, and no. I`ve never seen a chip repair that I did oxidize or pop out after it was sanded and polished. They sometimes pop out during sanding, which is why I like to wait 48 hours.

If I was doing a large scratch I might add some clear as the last layer of paint before sanding. I generally find when adding clear it`s actually harder to get the paint to match perfectly.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing write up!! Thank you so much!

My question is: When doing a car and waiting the two days for the paint to cure, can the car be driven?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this awesome information!!! One more thing...does the sand paper brand matter? I should have put these in 1 post! Will attempt soon and post b/a pics...High 5IVE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent write up. Someone slammed their door into mine and took out a chunk of paint. After reading this im no longer nervous about painting it up, and sanding it out. Going to give it a shot soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 5IVE
    Thank you for this awesome information!!! One more thing...does the sand paper brand matter? I should have put these in 1 post! Will attempt soon and post b/a pics...High 5IVE!!

Well the brand doesn`t matter so much but I highly recommend unigrit paper. I find it`s much, much easier to get out sandpaper marring when using 2k-3k unigrit as opposed to regular 2-3k grit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-up and great work, thanks for taking the time to share. Hope you`re getting less snow than we are in Calgary right now.

Edit - Question:

If you`re adding clear at the end and before sanding, isn`t there a danger if you build up the basecoat too deep that you will sand all the clearcoat off while levelling the scratch?

Also, is it worth masking off an inch out from around the whole scratch to reduce how much area you`re sanding?
    Jed Bouscal

Mobile Reflections, Calgary

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus, I got a scrape on the underside of my front bumper (the lip). Its below the actual face of the bumper so from standing outside you can`t see it. Would you approach a scrape (with quite a few spots down to the black plastic) the same way? If not, what would you reccomend? Thanks.
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflections
    Great write-up and great work, thanks for taking the time to share. Hope you`re getting less snow than we are in Calgary right now.

Edit - Question:

If you`re adding clear at the end and before sanding, isn`t there a danger if you build up the basecoat too deep that you will sand all the clearcoat off while levelling the scratch?

Also, is it worth masking off an inch out from around the whole scratch to reduce how much area you`re sanding?

Heya - when I layer the paint the layers are really, really thin, so it not a lot of sanding is required. I suppose it is possible all the clear is sanded off, but as I mentioned above that doesn`t really matter anyway. The clear is more to make the touchup match than for protection.

Masking might work, I don`t do it because the whole process is almost like blending paint, so making might leave funny marks. It is worth a shot though, maybe I will try it on my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW335i
    Picus, I got a scrape on the underside of my front bumper (the lip). Its below the actual face of the bumper so from standing outside you can`t see it. Would you approach a scrape (with quite a few spots down to the black plastic) the same way? If not, what would you reccomend? Thanks.

I know those scrapes! The problem with bumpers is that the paint is often thicker on them, so it`s harder to reach the level of the existing paint. Otherwise I would approach it in exactly the same manner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write and nice paint. I`m thinking of fixing a few little chips and scratches by doing basically what you did. I`m looking at purchasing some unigrit paper. Should I just get a couple sheets if all I`m going to do doing is what you did? How many sheets per problem? Thanks for you help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry maybe I am missing it somewhere, but did you add a clear and if so where?

Post Thanks / Like
    where can you get a sandpaper that high? all i can find at autostores is like 1200 or so...

wouold pepboys/autozone kinda places have this?

btw, you did a freaking awesome job man. i have a scratch on my car that i touched up but you can definitely see it, from putting a hardtop on by PO, so i will be using your writeup for that, now if i can jsut get the sandpaper somewhere
    :waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djomlas
    where can you get a sandpaper that high? all i can find at autostores is like 1200 or so...

btw, you did a freaking awesome job man. i have a scratch on my car that i touched up but you can definitely see it, from putting a hardtop on by PO, so i will be using your writeup for that, now if i can jsut get the sandpaper somewhere

Meguiars Wet Sanding Supplies

You can get unigrit there and in single sheets. Thing is I`m not sure how much to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Sorry maybe I am missing it somewhere, but did you add a clear and if so where?

I didn`t. I find on black it makes the paint harder to match.

Quote Originally Posted by djomlas

I get the 3k unigrit from Meguiars Online.

Post Thanks / Like
    thx a lot for the link man.

ill order some to fix my car
    :waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Picus- I`m late to this party, but I just wanted to compliment you on a great write-up/pics and a *super* job on your car

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information