Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboy`s World Detailing Weekend 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    We are expecting a full write-up Bobby!
    OH I already had that planned!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

hope its a good time, i passed by west nyack when i went to rhode island for christmas, if it wasnt late and i knew they were closed i would have stopped by!. and please let us know how the products work and please let us know how well they do in the sun. i need to purchase some poorboys because most people here use their garage as a storage area and not a garage so i need some more products i can use in direct sun...wgdgps works OK in direct sun just is a pain in the rear to apply because its drying on your pad so to say so you need more product....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt,

I`m hoping the weather will be perfect for this event.

We`ll be taking my daughters 2008 ford Escape which will put even the most aggressive products to the test!

I`ll take a ton of photos then post them for everyone to see and chime in on....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

cool deal bobby! looking forward to it!...

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow and Sunday is Poorboy`s World Detailing Weekend 2012. I can`t believe this is already here....

I`ll be leaving the house about 4:00am so it`s to Dunkin Donuts then on the road.....

I hope to see many of the names that are so active here so I can put a face with those names!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

We look forward to your reports. Enjoy.

Al
    The Need to Bead

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I know it is early, but someone should be there setting up so how bout some pictures?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s World is about a 4 hour drive for me so that`s not too bad. My son-in-law and I left at 4:00am Saturday morning and the ride was uneventful until the Tappan Zee Bridge which added about an additional hour to the drive due to construction....I tell you it`s a conspiracy!!

Poorboy`s World Main Headquarters is located in West Nyack, NY.

Product Display

We arrived on scene about 9:00am and after a little meet and great we backed our victim under the tent and with the temperature already over 85 degrees so it was a blessing. Tom and I received a warm welcome from Steve, Chris, Marge, Gus, & Steve.

Our project car was a 2008 Ford Escape. A typical daily driver in all sorts of weather so if it was a finish defect you`re looking for it had them all.

In the past I`ve used PoorBoy`s World products and have been impressed with their performance. Before this event I`ve used Poorboy’s World EX-P Pure Sealant, Trim Restorer, and White Diamond Glaze. All products were easy to use and worked as described.

My main goal for Saturday was to teach Tom some of the basics of machine polishing, pad and product usage. After a wash we dried the SUV a little taping was in order to protect the trim minimizing our work.

Saturday`s goal was to complete the nose of the Escape. My attack plan included; wash, clay, 2 step polish, seal, and wax.

Now that everything was taped, we clayed everything from the windshield forward. We used Meguiar`s clay and PoorBoy`s Spray & Wipe. This combination worked very well and Tom was surprised how easy claying was but more importantly how important this step was!

Polishing

Not being very familiar with PoorBoy`s World products a quick question gave me an idea of what to use and for the defect level I choose SSR2.5. This combined with a Orange flat pad proved to be a great combination on both the Porter Cable 7424 and my Flex PE14-2 rotary....Yes, I said rotary...

Tom with the Porter Cable 7424 &SSR2.5.

Bob with the Flex PE14-2

Once we were satisfied with our progress we switched to a finer polish, SSR2. Although somewhat of a smaller step, this product on a white pad did improve the glossiness giving me the look I was hoping to see.

Tom & Bob with the Porter Cable 7424 &SSR2.

Here I was giving the young lad a break working on the front facia....

PoorBoy`s World Pro Polish on the glass.

With the finish clean and polished we used Poorboy’s World Black Hole Show Glaze. This is a very nice, easy to use glaze that hides those tiny surface defects and blemishes. This was applied with the Porter Cable 7424 polisher using a soft blue foam pad.

Poorboy’s World Black Hole Show Glaze dries quickly and once I was through applying it over the entire nose I could buff it to a beautiful shine and shine it did!

While glazes perform as designed they provide little to no durability and after one wash most likely would be gone. A way around this is to apply a sealant or wax. We applied PoorBoy`s World EX Sealant with Carnauba. This product seal in the Black Hole adding both depth and protection. PoorBoy`s World EX Sealant with Carnauba is at home with darker colors leaving them with a deep wet shine.

Sunday we had to hustle. We needed to finish the exterior so Tom and I both taped and clayed the rest of the trim.

To expedite things, as a first step I hit each panel with the rotary and PoorBoy`s SSR2.5 polish. This allowed me to achieve the level of clarity I needed then Tom hit each panel with the Porter Cable 7424 &SSR2 polish.

I finished up early so I grabbed my Flex 3401 and some SSR2 and polished each panel meeting Tom in the middle.

Chris aka Pockets@PoorBoys

Lunchtime is served at the PoorBoy`s Event.

Steve on the hot-dog steamer along with Marge, Gus, and Steve.

Because we needed to be out by noontime the paint was completed and Tom and I would finish up the tires, wheels, trim, and glass once we arrived back home.

Although there was a bit more to do we ran out of time. All and all, the finish came out great using the PoorBoy`s World products.

One of those highly sought after reflection shots...

Two other attendees for the weekend

Ed (Eandras) working hard. It was nice to see someone from the forums to put a face and name together!

PoorBoy`s World Products used:

• Spray & Wipe
    • SSR2
    • SSR2.5
    • Pure Polish
    • Black Hole
    • EX Sealant with Carnauba
    • Microfiber Towels

I came away with an appreciation for the PoorBoy`s line of products. Everything we used performed well and this combined with the friendliness and hospitality made the weekend a real winner....

Thank you PoorBoy`s World!!

BobbyG

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to see this and great to see everyone had a great time there. Thanks Bobby for the pictures and write up.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

That is great Bobby. Maybe some day I will be able to join the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you got a lot accomplished !!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a great time! Leave it to a Boston fan to wear a Red Sox jersey into New York!

Post Thanks / Like

How many folks where there? It doesnt look like to many showed up.

Are there any demos or do you just show up and detail your vehicle using their products?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    How many folks where there? It doesnt look like to many showed up.

Are there any demos or do you just show up and detail your vehicle using their products?
    Attendees:

Saturday - 5
    Sunday - 5

Unfortunately the numbers were low and it may have been due to the hot weather on Saturday. The temp hit close to 100 degrees and the humidity was also up there making it pretty darn challenging. I kept the cold water close by in a cooler I brought but PoorBoy`s also had a large cooler handy with ice and water too.

Because I`m relativity new to PoorBoy`s World products, and my son-in-law new to detailing period, I was hoping for maybe a 30 minute seminar or tutorial on their products, their application, and intent.

Please don`t misunderstand me, there was plenty of technical assistance from Steve and Chris but you sort of started off and had to be self motivating.

I think the 2 day event was worth the drive. If I were to make any recommendations it would be to offer each attendee an 8 ounce sample selection of their product like to take home as a promotional gift for attending. This would allow a person to try different PoorBoy`s World products at their own pace at home seeing what they bring to the detailing game.

PoorBoy`s World products are quality products and make to mistake about it, they are a player. PoorBoy`s World products have only been available for less than 10 years and for a small company have quite a following.

To promote their products during a PoorBoy`s World local event I`d include:

1. Structured usage of each product
    2. Instructional demonstration of their products
    3. Tour of their facility
    4. Product samples for each attendee to take home
    5. Special show pricing for all PoorBoy`s World products

BobbyG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information