Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Legacy STi pictures. <insert drool here>

Quote Originally Posted by zilla
    My G35 has the same problem, it`s an `03 as did my Altima, which was an `02. Tiny paint chips missing all over the front of the car. However, I think it`s more a factor of how much the vehicle is driven on the interstate as opposed to the paint being faulty. While highway miles may be better for the mechanical parts of the car, it`s worse on the paint typically in my experience. My Altima had hardly any chips and such until I commuted 2 hrs round trip daily for work for a time period of about 5 months. Chips galore after that.

Back on topic... that car is awesome. That`s the first Subuaru I`ve seen that I wouldn`t mind owning.
    All of my nissans have done that, my Maxima, Sentra and now my 2005murano. It looks like someone took a sand blaster to the front of it. My wifes 2001 Sequoia on the other hand has twice as many miles and has hardly any chips at all. I know some has to do with the driving but I am starting to wonder about nissans paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gfunk720
    It isnt so much japanese paint as it is Subaru paint that sucks. The front of my car has tons of tiny little rock chips all over. Part of it has to do with the fact that the hood is aluminum and chips easily. Much of it has to do with the paint being really thin. Ask any subaru guy, no one is too happy about the way their front bumper has chipped...

On the other hand, that car is beautiful. The second picture from the top totally sold me...
    It kind of does have to do with Japanese paint. The Legacy is painted in the US and that is why the paint sucks. Hondas painted here are way different than the ones painted in Japan as well. You can comare them side by side on the lot and see the difference in orange peel and quality. I don`t know if all Subies are painted in the US that are sold here, but I know from experience with Suby owners in other countries that they don`t have the same issues we are having here with out paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan
    All of my nissans have done that, my Maxima, Sentra and now my 2005murano. It looks like someone took a sand blaster to the front of it. My wifes 2001 Sequoia on the other hand has twice as many miles and has hardly any chips at all. I know some has to do with the driving but I am starting to wonder about nissans paint.
    Just to further confuse the situation, I have a good friend who bought a new Sequoia back in `04 and he commutes (same drive I used to have) with it. After a few months of that the front of his car looked (and still does) there were so many chips on the front of his car that it looked like someone splattered white paint droplets on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Zilla...thats how my murano bumper looks like. Like you took a paint brush dipped it into white then fanned it with your fingers and the small white specs dusted the bumber. I plan on getting it repainted in the spring of next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan

How true. My parents 02 Maxima (USA) and 02 Altima (USA) have the chipping problem. No swirls though! My 97 Max (made in Japan) isn`t near as bad. What year was your Max and Sentra?

The interior on that STI looks much nicer then some of the other Subarus I`ve seen. Any idea of performace numbers?

Post Thanks / Like

The interior is very similar to current Legacy GT models. The center console looks a little more updated, but overall it is easy to see that it is still basically the same interior.

The numbers aren`t a whole lot higher than the US 2.5 GT currently. Mostly it is just STi accessories and suspension mods. In the US we already have the WRX STi engine, it is just detuned to 250 HP instead of 300. They already have the tuned by STi Liberty down in Australia and it isn`t really a performance machine beyond what the GT can do. It is a smaller engine than ours anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The Indiana plant is currently building a 2007 Sedan (2.5GT spec that fits this description. Not sure when or if the wagon will be built?
    Don`t forget the new 6 speed trans and that the driver now has the ability to performance tune the engine to fit their need on the go, neat!

After the units leave the factory, they go to the distribution center for processing and for special upgrades. Perhaps, this is when the STI badging gets installed?

It is my understanding that all Legacys-Outbacks- B9s and the Bajas, which are sold in the US, come from the US. I could be incorrect. The remaining Subaru lineup comes from across the pond.

Paint is paint as far as the EPA is concerned. They just don`t want any pollutants being emitted from the stacks. Gone are the days of adding a "little more" thinner to get it to flow. The Camry is using a water base on their US built models. IMO only - it would make since if Subaru changes over.
    just my 2 cents
    Dave
    Extreme Clean ~ Extreme Shine
    "Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." - Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

awesome car!!!

the_stig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover
    How true. My parents 02 Maxima (USA) and 02 Altima (USA) have the chipping problem. No swirls though! My 97 Max (made in Japan) isn`t near as bad. What year was your Max and Sentra?

The interior on that STI looks much nicer then some of the other Subarus I`ve seen. Any idea of performace numbers?
    My Max was a 2001 SE and the Sentra was a 2003 SER Spec V The Sentras paint for me was even worst then the Maxima plus it was a nightmare to own, constant problems.

I like the Legacy, great looks, power, and AWD I just wish it was a little bit bigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information