Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cars & Coffee Eye Candy

Columbus, OH today. Drive down was a bit, uh...crowded on the freeway.

Chilly for a bit but sunny. Free coffee and pastries helped.

And this is something different:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cars & Coffee Eye Candy

So cool...
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

After spending the day with Margaret’s new Corvette and seeing and hearing all of these other examples of automotive excess I find myself in a state of automotive depression; somehow my Honda Accord suddenly just isn’t very inspiring in comparison.

I *really* like her new car; comfortable (for the driver), powerful (just passed out of break in period on drive down) with lotsa modern conveniences.

Can`t really justify another fun car due partly to only having a 2 car garage (4 cars, 2 car garage is just too much of a PIA to deal with...been there, done that) but mostly because my daily commute just chews up nice cars. 20 months since new, 40k miles and the Accord really needs the hood resprayed as it looks like someone`s been throwing gravel at it all the time.

Bummer.
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Feel your pain....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Dispatch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You should get a car to enjoy your commute. No reason you can’t buy a older mustang gt and use that as your commuter. Gas would be more but drive would nicer. Don’t need to go crazy... base gt. Won’t be the corvette but would be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    After spending the day with Margaret’s new Corvette and seeing and hearing all of these other examples of automotive excess I find myself in a state of automotive depression; somehow my Honda Accord suddenly just isn’t very inspiring in comparison.

I *really* like her new car; comfortable (for the driver), powerful (just passed out of break in period on drive down) with lotsa modern conveniences.

Can`t really justify another fun car due partly to only having a 2 car garage (4 cars, 2 car garage is just too much of a PIA to deal with...been there, done that) but mostly because my daily commute just chews up nice cars. 20 months since new, 40k miles and the Accord really needs the hood resprayed as it looks like someone`s been throwing gravel at it all the time.

Bummer.
    I’m with ya Kurt. Every time I try to justify a more fun thrilling car I talk myself out of it. There is the side of me that says “life’s too short and get what you want”. Then the other side that says “I just don’t see how it makes any sense”

Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1,

I hear what you are saying, especially after seeing those types of cars. On a way lower level, a few years ago I bought a perfectly good (new) 2014, then traded that in your a end of year, but new Porsche Macan S, which was great but I quickly found out it was not the ideal car for my NYC commute. Traded that in for the new Audi A4, which was the first non SUV that I had in over 20 years. Well, after a few months of that, realizing that the A4 was too low for ease of entry and a bit too small, I saw the Audi Allroad (station wagon) sooooooo I traded the 6 month old A4 for the 2017 Allroad. That`s buying/trading 4 cars within a year and that`s simply crazy at any age, let alone at 65 years old and I ain`t rich either.

The Allroad is my best car yet and I intend on keeping that car for at as long as it is in great working order. Doesn`t mean I don`t enjoy checking out newer cars, but after losing thousands in new car depreciation, I`m not looking to make that impulsive mistake again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    You should get a car to enjoy your commute. No reason you can’t buy a older mustang gt and use that as your commuter. Gas would be more but drive would nicer. Don’t need to go crazy... base gt. Won’t be the corvette but would be fun
    Yeah, always an option but that just moves me back into the "4 cars, 2 car garage" inconvenience which I`m not sure I`m willing to deal with anymore. If I decided I could deal w/ it would have to go `all in` on a new Mustang and have the PPF applied to the whole thing in hopes of preserving the paint. Problem is, if previous history is any indication, what seems like a good idea in the Spring/summer turns out to be a PIA once winter hits...and I end up selling and taking a hit. Happened when I bought a new 2008 Mustang GT and sold 18 months later...and then again when I bought a new 2013 Mustang GT in Spring 2013 and sold/traded in October 2015 cuz I was tired of shuffling cars around.

But I did find a really good storage option for the Vette this coming Winter, could do the same for another fun car but then summer becomes a PIA shuffling cars around to get the `good stuff` outta the garage and keep the `commuters` off the grass as parking on the grass for extended periods of time is NOT good for cars. Learned that the hard, expensive way.

I`m more of a Mustang person as opposed to Corvette so while it won`t be a Corvette, I`d actually rather drive a Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I’m with ya Kurt. Every time I try to justify a more fun thrilling car I talk myself out of it. There is the side of me that says “life’s too short and get what you want”. Then the other side that says “I just don’t see how it makes any sense”
    Exactly the argument I have. And I can`t be confident that the short term thrill of it all will carry over long-term which gets kinda expensive when you`ve had enough and decide to dump a relatively new car.

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    BudgetPlan1,

I hear what you are saying, especially after seeing those types of cars. On a way lower level, a few years ago I bought a perfectly good (new) 2014, then traded that in your a end of year, but new Porsche Macan S, which was great but I quickly found out it was not the ideal car for my NYC commute. Traded that in for the new Audi A4, which was the first non SUV that I had in over 20 years. Well, after a few months of that, realizing that the A4 was too low for ease of entry and a bit too small, I saw the Audi Allroad (station wagon) sooooooo I traded the 6 month old A4 for the 2017 Allroad. That`s buying/trading 4 cars within a year and that`s simply crazy at any age, let alone at 65 years old and I ain`t rich either.

The Allroad is my best car yet and I intend on keeping that car for at as long as it is in great working order. Doesn`t mean I don`t enjoy checking out newer cars, but after losing thousands in new car depreciation, I`m not looking to make that impulsive mistake again.
    I`m certainly not in the rarified air of the exotics group, operating at a much lower level. I`ve lost a bit of $$ in the past with these kinda impulsive decisions as well.

If there was a truly `dual purpose` car that would be fun and could also be used as a daily, would solve some of my issues nicely but haven`t found one yet. The Infinity Q60 RED AWD is my current top pick (400hp, AWD...possibly reasonably fun) but then I hear the exhaust of a good `ol American V8 and the stupid side of my brain starts coming up with all these crazy ideas. Have also looked in to Cadillac ATS-V, Dodge Charger Scat Pack (rear wheel drive probably makes this a no-go for winter commuting) but can`t really narrow down anything that is visceral fun yet appropriate for year round use. I gave that a try with an AWD Subaru WRX in 10/2015 but that lasted only 18 months before the compromises with that somewhat stripped down `fun` car became too much for my old bones to live with.

Kinda funny that I`m apparently a bit transparent in my scheming; was sitting on the couch Sunday morning, trying to think of a solution and my wife says "Your thinking of something, aren`t you...I`ve seen that look before..." and then nicely offered to `share` her Corvette but my daily commute would just eat that thing alive.

I guess this isn`t really a problem in the great scheme of things and if I really wanted to solve it I`d quit my job and move to Arizona where the whole winter/summer car dichotomy is a non-issue. But getting in her Vette over the weekend, punching the start button and hearing the exhaust is intoxicating. Maybe I just need to `sober up` and return to being somewhat practical.

On another note, the Vette with the Automatic transmission, paddle shifters and psuedo-manual Sport modes would likely mean that I could give up my personal need for manual tranny (which wife refuses to drive except in emergency) in `my` fun cars. That`s a bit of a compromise, no?

Post Thanks / Like

I love the red sport. The isf (Lexus) is a beast but kind of small. Not cheap but an Audi S4 and BMW m3 are super fun cars 400 plus Hp....

Post Thanks / Like

I love the red sport. The isf (Lexus) is a beast but kind of small. Not cheap but an Audi S4 and BMW m3 are super fun cars 400 plus Hp....

Kinda wary of German cars. Would *love* to experience a BMW M-something but thought the general consensus is they`re not something fun to have around once outta warranty...$$$.

Eh, I think I feel this way every Spring. Have to likely content myself with re-coating my car for now until fall at least. I`m 0-2 on not getting fed up shuffling cars around in the past, sold each toy after 2 years to stop the madness. Not sure my "Seemed like a good idea at the time" list needs another entry right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda wary of German cars. Would *love* to experience a BMW M-something but thought the general consensus is they`re not something fun to have around once outta warranty...$$$.

Eh, I think I feel this way every Spring. Have to likely content myself with re-coating my car for now until fall at least. I`m 0-2 on not getting fed up shuffling cars around in the past, sold each toy after 2 years to stop the madness. Not sure my "Seemed like a good idea at the time" list needs another entry right now.
    Yeah just drive your toy as a daily.... till the wheels fall off

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot about your weather. Having a RWD wouldn’t work year round for you

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot about your weather. Having a RWD wouldn’t work year round for you

I think the answer is 1) Quit my job which eliminates the abusive commute and 2) Move to a warmer climate which removes winter from the equation.

Problem solved!
    Likes MattPersman, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the answer is 1) Quit my job which eliminates the abusive commute and 2) Move to a warmer climate which removes winter from the equation.

Problem solved!
    If it was only that easy !

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a truck full of concrete to create a parking pad would solve the logistical issues of moving cars around while keeping them off the grass. Or fill in the pool and extend garage. Might be a bit too much just for convenience though. Anyone got the winning lotto numbers for the next drawing; could solve some of my issues, as irrelevant as they may be.
    Cars & Coffee Eye Candy-tophouse.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information