Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: entering my first car show....

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
    Brandt--Picked up a trophy on Saturday as a result of your work. We`ll share it cause you missed your show.
    THANKS
    Jay
    nice! congrats

I guess I also vicariously won a few trophies at the same show I wasn`t able to attend as well.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt--Picked up a trophy on Saturday as a result of your work. We`ll share it cause you missed your show.
    THANKS
    Jay
    Cool, great for both you and Brandt. What category did you win? What did Brandt use on your car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Cool, great for both you and Brandt. What category did you win? What did Brandt use on your car?
    last year I polished with essence and topped with PBL v2 but I`m sure he`s put some Polish Angel or something on there since then so I`m not really sure it`s all from me

Brandt K.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have topped Brandt`s work with Opti Spray Wax after every weekly wash and Polish Angel High Gloss on special occasions and before shows. Since Brandt`s handy work--3 shows, three trophies. Thanks again Brandt!!!!!!
    Jay
    Likes 512detail, LEDetailng, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

so our car club is having probably our largest car show this weekend
    I plan to attend since my car is pretty much show ready as it sits
    paint recently polished and topped with essence, csl, exov3, and polish angel gold zirkon (last week)
    trim has motor kote
    engine bay recently cleaned with Polish Angel engine

just need to do the wheel barrels, faces, and refresh the tires and wells

not sure if I want to add anymore shine so I may just wipe it down with spray and gloss at the show Saturday when I clean off the bugs from the hour drive

there`s a top 50 award so I`m not getting my hopes up but you never know!

but honestly I`m horribly embarrassed at my the chips on my cuda style front grill insert - no shop around here wants to touch it because they say it may break or not reinstall properly when removed to paint

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear your tackling the wheel wells..lol. That Cuda grill is sweet, always loved them. Front clip isn`t to bad to take off, couple YouTube videos out there. Good luck at show, hard to not recognize a black car shinning with all the flake popping. You will place.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    Good to hear your tackling the wheel wells..lol. That Cuda grill is sweet, always loved them. Front clip isn`t to bad to take off, couple YouTube videos out there. Good luck at show, hard to not recognize a black car shinning with all the flake popping. You will place.
    thanks. I am thinking since my plates say WAXWSTR that I will take my `parking for wax wasters only` sign and put it on my dash as well as my poorboys car and the die cast I have that is the same color black as my car

I don`t really want to pop my hood and trunk, I could pop my hood I guess but most people admire how shiny I have been able to get the carbon fiber vinyl stripes on my hood so I like to show them off (although I personally think they look like crap from 3 feet)

It`s supposed to be hot and sunny so I`m hoping my car looks really good in the sun

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

At some shows, if the judges can`t see the interior or under the hood they will give you a "0" for those two areas. I`d recommend that you open the hood and trunk and either leave a door open or at least the window so they can see inside. Just MHO. Good Luck!!!!!
    Jay
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I don`t really want to pop my hood and trunk, I could pop my hood I guess, but most people admire how shiny I have been able to get the carbon fiber vinyl stripes on my hood so I like to show them off
    I like to have folks be able to see the engine bay and the top of my hood. That can be impossible to accomplish if the hood is opened all the way up.
    In my case, I have made a little "stick" to prop the hood up. After a few tries...I found the right height so folks can see the hood and the engine bay.
    My "stick" consists of a pvc pipe and two rubber stopper feet. I cut the pvc until I found the correct height. I painted the pvc black, added the feet and lowered hood.
    Too high and folks can`t see the hood. Too low, it looks like you`re trying to hide the engine bay. It`s not good if folks have to bend over and down to look at your engine.

At some shows, if the judges can`t see the interior or under the hood they will give you a "0" for those two areas.
    I`d recommend that you open the hood and trunk and either leave a door open or at least the window so they can see inside. Just MHO. Good Luck!!!!!
    Jay
    Interior:
    At a minimum the two front windows need to be rolled all the way down. Anywhere where folks (and judges) can see inside the vehicle needs to be neat and clean.
    I have lost a show (by 1 point) due to the fact that there was dust on my dashboard. This can be a constant effort at a 4+ hours car show with the windows down.
    Option - There are devices (arms) that will hold you doors open. They hook to the door latch and will hold your door open part way and hold them in that position.
    Opening the trunk - It is not required but it is recommended. If the trunk is open it need to be vacuumed & clean. This means there needs to be no "junk-in-the-trunk".

Raising the Hood:
    This is a requirement at cars shows. Occasionally, it will be announced over the PA system (via DJ etc.) that judges are coming around...time to raise you hoods.
    At all the car shows I`ve been to...besides what Never Enuff stated "if the judges can`t see the interior or under the hood they will give you a "0" for those two areas.".
    If your hood is down when the judge(s) come around they will walk past your vehicle and not judge it at all. "The hood is down...they walk past..less work for them".

Side Note:

Reach inside the top of your wheel well. Rub you hand back and forth. Do you see dirt on you fingers? This is a common area that judges check to add/subtract points.
    Side note to the side note. If you clean the wheel well area spotless and decide you want that "extra" during your arrival wipe down. Do not coat the inside with a dressing.
    * The only thing judges hate worse that reaching inside a wheel well and coming out with dirty fingers is reaching inside and coming out with a handful of greasy dressing. ROFL

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes Ronkh, Never Enuff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Merlin...I cleaned the wells with bold n bright, which is not very greasy but will probably leave something on their fingers, oh well

the wells were cleaned a week or so ago and I haven`t driven the car since but it still looks good

those show props you speak of, I am familiar with them...several people in the club use them on the doors hood and trunk

I haven`t decided if I want to start investing money into those type things or not

a hood prop, probably but door ones, not yet

I don`t know how I feel about windows all the way down but I guess I`ll see how it goes

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Dirty/slimy wheelwells on a showcar? Untidy trunk? The mind boggles....

Maybe my perspective is skewed by all my time at Autopia

512Detail- I bet your car will look great in the sun, hope the judges appreciate it!

Hey, about that plate...ever wonder about customers thinking "he wastes wax...and I bet I pay for that" ? Just wondering..paranoid ol` me
    Likes Ronkh, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dirty/slimy wheelwells on a showcar? Untidy trunk? The mind boggles....

Maybe my perspective is skewed by all my time at Autopia

512Detail- I bet your car will look great in the sun, hope the judges appreciate it!

Hey, about that plate...ever wonder about customers thinking "he wastes wax...and I bet I pay for that" ? Just wondering..paranoid ol` me
    you Are paranoid, haha

honestly I don`t care at all what other people read into my plate

its truely a wax waster now since no wax really sticks to csl+exo

I cant even tell if the gold zirkon I applied aftet I coated the car is even still on there so I applied Polish Angel Presto this morning

yup, definitely have a problem

I bought the plate for me, its part of the "theme" of my car if you will
    and a reason to (be legal) and put a front plate on the car, as strange as that may sound

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not popping the trunk tho as its full of detail supplies now

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh....yeah...and regarding that plate, you have the right attitude

Sounds like you`re *ready* for this show, "problem" or not. Try to resist the temptation to do a "little touchup" that somehow messes something up...I know guys who arrive at a show marring-free and leave in need of serious correction.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i only wiped the front end to get the three bugs i collected off of there

its participant judged so i left the hood closed, screw it

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd, Merlin liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information