Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car show prep for my Frontier? Help

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    HYDRO WAX AS YOU DRY the night before will POP it for sure!

Question, How is the DODO FUTURE ARMOR SPRAY SEALANT? Curious ever since it came out. Never mentioned here.
    I bought the tiny 100ml bottle back several months ago..its very nice stuff. smells great too..i should have done a review but I only used it on parts of my truck and parts of a friend`s vehicle

I would have purchased the larger bottle on the last sale but it was out of stock.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    That nobody cares about a 127k mile 2006 frontier that is properly maintained...as opposed to a poorly cared for vehicle with some shiney add on stuff.

But hey I might be wrong, it sure does look nice when cleaned up.

It`s not exactly a large show either.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    This is what I noticed at the car shows I`ve checked out. The cars with stickers and swirl up paint end up winning because of some modification that makes it appealing (stance, chrome dress up kit, wrap, plasti dip, wheels, and who they know).

I was the only car at the car show without a swirl, scratch/RIDS, or dent. I didn`t enter but I checked out the winners and wasn`t impressed. A wide body GTR R35 took first place and his car was covered in holograms and the wide body kit was just bolted on (looked like a 10-year-old installed it).

I`m going to stick to the Classic Mopar shows where people are about shine and power, but not one is interested in a 09 Jeep SRT8 other than the 16-24-year-old crowd.

Anyways good luck hope your truck wins! It all really depends on the type of car show that it is. There`s a huge difference depending on the attending demographic (concourse car show vs import tuner car shows). My personal favorite car show is the international one were all the manufacturers present their concept and production line up.

What kind of car show did you enter?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

512dertail- When I do my pals Jag showcar, I always warn him that it won`t turn out as nice as my beaters. He accepts that and doesn`t really care as he scores well anyhow. Don`t underestimate how much better your DD is compared to lots of "showcars".

My advice is to simply work on anything that "looks bad". Yeah, very general, but certain issues draw the eye and will matter a *LOT* more IMO than which LSP you use.

And I agree that the "coolest" vehicles will probably score the best regardless of whether they really deserve it, just the way it seems to go.

What`s the issue with the rubber/etc.? I`ve brought back rubber and plastic that looked like it`d need replaced (and always did it without any "dye"). Gotta get the "dead material"/oxidation off first...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    What kind of car show did you enter?
    It’s a fathers day classic car show our car club puts on every year for charity

Categories anywhere from pre 48 hot rod / antique/ to your vehicle specific categories-
    Camaro/trans am
    Mustang
    Corvette
    Mopar
    Muscle streetcar
    Rat rods
    Vw
    Trucks
    16 different categories
    (each of those categories have year model brackets)

Brandt K.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    512dertail- When I do my pals Jag showcar, I always warn him that it won`t turn out as nice as my beaters. He accepts that and doesn`t really care as he scores well anyhow. Don`t underestimate how much better your DD is compared to lots of "showcars".

My advice is to simply work on anything that "looks bad". Yeah, very general, but certain issues draw the eye and will matter a *LOT* more IMO than which LSP you use.

And I agree that the "coolest" vehicles will probably score the best regardless of whether they really deserve it, just the way it seems to go.

What`s the issue with the rubber/etc.? I`ve brought back rubber and plastic that looked like it`d need replaced (and always did it without any "dye"). Gotta get the "dead material"/oxidation off first...
    I will dig up a pic on my next break and post....its just really really faded, almost white looking...I tried Trim Restorer,, a lot of it... it made a huge difference but was still in dire need of more... On Ray`s recommendation I picked up Wurth Flexible Trim Paint

and have it at home..probably should just tape off and give it a shot- can`t be too hard to use and I just need to tape off the window and hood with newspapers or something and spray it in the garage

there is also the same faded plastic on the top of the rear bumper (two pieces)

then the rubber around the window trim needs some love too

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be easier to just remove the cowl piece to ensure better prep,coverage and avoid overspray. Overspray will reach areas that would surprise you. When i was prepping my car for full exterior paint, i did a small masking job around the areas where i was going to spray black paint to cover bare metal that had rust and was now removed, and there was overspray on the opposite side of the car! you couldn`t see it but you sure could feel it. The areas were much smaller than your cowl also, so imagine all the overspray spraying that whole plastic piece may create.

I`d check online for instructions so you can at least confirm whether it`d be easy to remove or not.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Might be easier to just remove the cowl piece to ensure better prep,coverage and avoid overspray. Overspray will reach areas that would surprise you. When i was prepping my car for full exterior paint, i did a small masking job around the areas where i was going to spray black paint to cover bare metal that had rust and was now removed, and there was overspray on the opposite side of the car! you couldn`t see it but you sure could feel it. The areas were much smaller than your cowl also, so imagine all the overspray spraying that whole plastic piece may create.

I`d check online for instructions so you can at least confirm whether it`d be easy to remove or not.
    good call..i will look that up at work

Brandt K.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Need to write some reviews soon
    Pulled out a few products i have not fully tried yet.

Trucks 66 and up beware, lol

I have some other things to attend to tonight so I only plan on bold n bright on tires and boards and a quick lathering of trim restorer on the front window plastic. The rattle can will have to wait.

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, Migue, Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin good !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! Best of luck and have fun at the show!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Geez. 6 months or so and the lights were already faded again...
    Before

After

Nano 2 step to the rescue
    Dp aio headlight via blue rupes large nano pad
    Essence via yellow
    Will top with exp when i get home

Truck looks good!

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

512detail- Glad it`s going well!

I often end up using a compound (yeah...a compound like "made for paint") specifically Hi-Temp "357 Magnum" (AKA Fast Cut IIRC) to abrade away the "dead" rubber. Sounds like a terrible idea but that product works great for me. Guess that`s not of any help unless you have some, but anyhow...I used that and then KAIO over and over, finally stripped with IPA and then applied a Trim Sealant. Problem solved.

On the Oxidized plastic, I used compounds and polishes. Note that M205 was a [freakin`] disaster compared to HD Polish, so I`d avoid that.

If the headlights keep oxidizing are you gonna just replace them?

Post Thanks / Like

512detail- Glad it`s going well!

I often end up using a compound (yeah...a compound like "made for paint") specifically Hi-Temp "357 Magnum" (AKA Fast Cut IIRC) to abrade away the "dead" rubber. Sounds like a terrible idea but that product works great for me. Guess that`s not of any help unless you have some, but anyhow...I used that and then KAIO over and over, finally stripped with IPA and then applied a Trim Sealant. Problem solved.

On the Oxidized plastic, I used compounds and polishes. Note that M205 was a [freakin`] disaster compared to HD Polish, so I`d avoid that.

If the headlights keep oxidizing are you gonna just replace them?
    thanks. yea I have my eye set on a pair of anzo angel eyes led projectors with halos for quite some time now

just looking for little things to do to my truck to make me want to keep it as opposed to getting what I want which is a STI hatchback- hard to find btw (truck is almost paid off now)

im kind of curious how many times I can polish them until they run out of plastic--I`d imagine a lot more

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

512detail- Get some UV coating on the lenses and maybe you won`t have to redo `em so often.

I myself think that the STI would be a whole different animal than the Frontier.

I`ve gone from wagons/hatches to the Tahoe for hauling stuff and much as I *LOVE* wagons....sigh...the Tahoe, which I simply *hate* driving, does the actual *job I need done* a whole lot better. .

I`d keep that Frontier if it fills its niche, regardless of how much more fun some (supposed) alternative might be.

Post Thanks / Like

512detail- Get some UV coating on the lenses and maybe you won`t have to redo `em so often.

I myself think that the STI would be a whole different animal than the Frontier.

I`ve gone from wagons/hatches to the Tahoe for hauling stuff and much as I *LOVE* wagons....sigh...the Tahoe, which I simply *hate* driving, does the actual *job I need done* a whole lot better. .

I`d keep that Frontier if it fills its niche, regardless of how much more fun some (supposed) alternative might be.
    yea good point..I guess I could just put the extra money under hood and to the chasis of my SRT (which is also almost paid off)

man I could buy so much more detailing supplies without two vehicle payments- lol

Brandt K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information