Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Competition Ready?

How did everyone like the second episode of Competition Ready? I missed the first episode. I thought the episode was ok. I`m not sure who AG is trying to appeal to. I watch most of the shows on Velocity because they are automotive related. The show was strange in that it really neither starred the cars, the detailing itself, or the personalities. It started on the premise that the team only had 48 hours to detail four museum grade cars, then it shows them driving from AG headquarters (Florida) to California. That would burn a few days. I would like them to say what tools they are using and why. I don`t mean getting down to a gnats butt, but an overview. Such as rinse less vs water for classics, da vs rotary, compound vs final polish, just the basic reasoning of what they are using and why. I would also prefer A.J. to stay away from the actual work, she just looks clumsy (imho). It is hard to criticize a show that highlights my favorite hobby, but only by providing feedback will the show hit the mark and become a long running show. Mike is going to have to loosen up a little and smile. Got to remember it`s TV and entertainment is the main goal. I look forward to the next show.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready?

first one was in vegas for sema
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting notes, rimcarty. I really wanted to catch the Peterson Episode with the Folks at Meg`s headquarters last friday, but life got in the way.

I don`t have Velocity. I`ll have to wait for watching the shows elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been an ok show so far. It really could be a 1 hour show. It`s hard to showcase what is actually going on in 30 mins. Especially with so many commercials. It then becomes about a 15 min show. It`s a good start but there needs to be something more for the audience to grasp the concept of the show and what is being portrayed.

Hopefully the show evolves into something better.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen it yet hopefully it`s not a ad for products if it has no substance other than a pretty face it won`t last long.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched it -

It was a Meguiars Machine/s Products/ Love Fest ----

That is all they showed...

Everyone was using a Meguiars Random Orbital...

Not one Rupe`s, Makita, Flex, etc., to be seen...

It is based on the tried and true OverHaulin` format - some girl talking, the guys working, a lot of lame small talk, and somehow it all gets done ..

What we don`t see is exactly how many hours/days it took to actually do all the work..

I believe that all those guys are already based in California - otherwise it would be physically impossible to drive 3000 miles and still be awake enough to then spend 24 or more hours working without sleep, right ???

All Fluff...
    Dan F
    Likes pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was good, remember they have 30 mins and have to appeal to their audience.

Nice to see a couple familiar faces.

Post Thanks / Like

I think taking on 4 cars in an episode at 30 mins just doesn`t cut it. An hour may help show more progression on correcting the cars.
    You see the start and finish of the cars but not much about what their using to get there.
    They need to offer the 10 hour video on You Tube to see how its really done.

Post Thanks / Like

wish it was more of a DIY type show instead of "competition"/reality tv show

i think mike p would be better at DIY type show, he`s really good at explaining stuff.
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just my thoughts on that : If he does a DIY show, there might not be much incentive to buy the books and pay for training since people will think that the TV show will make them professional detailers after a few episodes.

This show seems to be catered to the very average consumer for (family?) entertainment and it might be used to market certain products instead of being aimed at viewers like us(which would be a much smaller audience) who enjoy all the details and explanations. Personally I`m ok with that, we don`t need any more overnight pro detailers .
    Likes donbeezy, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I watched it -

It was a Meguiars Machine/s Products/ Love Fest ----

That is all they showed...

Everyone was using a Meguiars Random Orbital...

Not one Rupe`s, Makita, Flex, etc., to be seen...

It is based on the tried and true OverHaulin` format - some girl talking, the guys working, a lot of lame small talk, and somehow it all gets done ..

What we don`t see is exactly how many hours/days it took to actually do all the work..

I believe that all those guys are already based in California - otherwise it would be physically impossible to drive 3000 miles and still be awake enough to then spend 24 or more hours working without sleep, right ???

All Fluff...
    Dan F
    hawking products pretty much what I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah each episode is sponsored by a product manufacturer. The first episode was Mothers and the second was Meguiar`s.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I had some similar thoughts. I wish it was longer and they went more into the detailing side of it. They may find the sweet spot as the show moves along. Next couple of episodes will be telling since there is only one car in each.

It`s also hard to watch for people who are more into detailing as we already know what clay does and the point of pretty much everything they do so there is no mystery for us and we don`t need those concepts explained.

I`m in episode 5 so watch out for me - all Sonax and Flex in that episode!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most opinions in this thread. I still like the show, but do wish it was a little more in depth and a true detailing show

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like it. It is what it is. I`d rather have a show like this than no show at all. Who cares if it showcases different manufacturers every week.

I think it`s a great starting point. To my knowledge there has never been a detailing show before so to see these guys using DA polishers and showing what they do is great.

I love the 50/50 shot. I love how they show the swirls and marring. Imagine the guys watching this that don`t do this for a living or hobby but they want there paint to look great. With the knowledge they gained from the show they can either find a reputable detailer or learn a new hobby.

If more people are aware that paint can be corrected like this maybe it will put more pressure on body shops to stop making a mess of peoples vehicles with rotary polishers and poor technique.

Probably wishful thinking. Not sure how many people even watch velocity.

It`s also pretty cool that my wife like to watch it. Its funny when she says "that looks familiar" or "I`ve heard you say that" lol! Any longer than a half-hour and she would probably lose interest too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information