Post Thanks / Like
    On the PBS show Motorweek aired this Sunday 23 November 2003 there was a feature about "concourse detailing".

The feature was shot at the Pebble Beach Concousre d`Elegance and they had commentary from Chuck Bennett from Zymol.

Zymol apparently has a team of detailers that does the final prep on concourse cars prior to judging

What I found ironic about it is that Zymol touts their mega$$$ custom formulation waxes for concourse level vehicles.... he was using their "off the shelf" polish ( the one in the plastic bottle!)and detail spray in the video segment shown!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the results from the last event, I think, (I`m not 100% sure), that 24 our 30 cars that won first place in their class used Meguiar`s.

I`ll check on Monday, I have the paperwork in a big messy pile on my desk somewhere

Mike

(Dang... I hate that pile of paper work, I wish I could turn it into a car that needs to be polished)

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzo0903,

Was the segement informative?

Maybe Zymol is trying to sell their off the shelf products. Normal people will purchase an off the shelf and inexpensive product sooner than an expensive mail order product. Other companies have done segments on automotive related shows promoting their products and discussing proper suface care. Two companies which come to mind are Meguiars and Mothers, both manufactures of quality products. I remember Barry on a Road Ready show sponsored by Pep Boys, and Dr. something from Mothers on ESPN car show review shows.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I`ll check on Monday, I have the paperwork in a big messy pile on my desk somewhere

Mike

(Dang... I hate that pile of paper work, I wish I could turn it into a car that needs to be polished)

Mike Sounds like my desk. Do you think this mind game will work?

Maybe once I file all the papers, I could put down a nice coat of wax, so the papers just slip off in the future.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gonzo0903

What I found ironic about it is that Zymol touts their mega$$$ custom formulation waxes for concourse level vehicles.... he was using their "off the shelf" polish ( the one in the plastic bottle!)and detail spray in the video segment shown!

Proof that concours isn`t about what product you use, but rather how you use it.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1

Mike Sounds like my desk. Do you think this mind game will work?

Maybe once I file all the papers, I could put down a nice coat of wax, so the papers just slip off in the future.Eric

:LOLOL

That`s funny... I don`t think it will work though... (Last week I received a freindly admonishment to make it go away)

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BW

Proof that concours isn`t about what product you use, but rather how you use it.

I think that they were showing the use of those products so that people would see them on the shelves in the stores and say "Wow I saw concours cars using this same product on TV!".

Marketing.
    Ben

2000 Estoril Blue M Coupe

2002 Le Mans Blue M5

1988 Alpine White 325iX

1985 Chrysler Green 325e

Thread Information