Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing I love more than showing off my cars! Hey, this detailing thing is all about ego, isn`t it?

This forum is dedicated to those of us who love to go to car shows or who would love to learn the tricks of the trade from folks like me who spend a lot of time there.

We will share our thoughts on special products that are great for show day. Or help explain the techniques necessary to "wow" the judges come judging time. Or maybe we will let you in on some of the special tricks we use to catch the judges eye or better yet...keep the judges eye "off" what we don`t want him to see. And there are plenty of special concoctions that I have never divulged on the regular forums that I use on show day to help me win points at the concours.

I`m sure you all have plenty more stories and questions than I do. So jump in and have fun.

Remember, every 1/100 of a point counts so, take notes!

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

TheOzzfather
    Do you win money or is pride your reward?

Post Thanks / Like
    This look like its going to be a great forum. I am always looking to improve at all the car shows I do. Always great to get tips from the experts.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheOzzfather

Do you win money or is pride your reward?

This forum isn`t just about me but I have won a lot of Concours. I have competed in many JCNA (Jaguar Clubs of North America) events across the U.S. No money, but a lot of pride.

Here is the first place award.

My greatest achievment was in 1998 during the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the XK Jaguar. They selected one Jaguar each in the United States to represent the best of the XK`s for the 120, 140 and 150 models. I was lucky enough to be the winning XK 150!

This was the award. Only three will ever be awarded.

The best part, though, is getting out there and talking with fellow gar lovers and answering questions when crowds gather around your car. Your chest puffs out and you`re on a high you can`t explain!

That`s what we all want isn`t? And we all can do it!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brad B.

[B]And there are plenty of special concoctions that I have never divulged on the regular forums that I use on show day to help me win points at the concours.

*interest peeking*

any good books you know of besides the Autopia eBook that relate more specifically to concours/show events and preparing for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    holy bejebus! that`s quite the garage you have there..i just looked through all 88 pics..hehe

that`s like every autopian`s dream playground. great setup and great cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

*interest peeking*

any good books you know of besides the Autopia eBook that relate more specifically to concours/show events and preparing for them?

A huge part of concours for older cars is authenticity.

There are a series of books called "Original Restorers Guides" that are fantastic photo books dedicated to specific models of cars. One would be on the Jag 150 or the BMW 325 or the Porsche Carrera, etc. They are filled with hundreds of incredible detailed color photographs. One photo might just be of the trunk area detailing the jack and tool kit, for example. And another might show the right side of the engine really close up so you can make out all the bolt heads and wire connections and read all the labels. There might be dozens of pics of the engine. Judges will study these for authenticity. And you can be sure these are correct.

I must confess I am more versed on foreign cars so I would appreciate it if someone could chime in on domestic cars. (I know there are huge followings for Mustangs, Mopar, Vette`s, etc)

As far as preparing for concours events...I have not seen any books. Maybe that`s something we should discuss. Lets come up with some topics.

:up :up
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

A huge part of concours for older cars is authenticity.

Interesting....I don`t think Porsche Club of America does that any more...at least not in California.

Authenticity is nice, but I think in the past too many cars lost out because of performance oriented modifications.

Although I have a modern car (Boxster S), if we judged on authenticity, the minor mods I have made would make me uncompetitive....in short if authenticity was judged I wouldn`t even bother to compete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JB in Irvine

...if authenticity was judged I wouldn`t even bother to compete.

It depends how the rules are enforced. Jaguar, for instance, allows Jaguar Factory approved aftermarket accessories.

In your Boxsters case, Porsche accessories such as all Tequipment accessories, wheels, body kits, interior mods, etc, would all be allowed as "factory" authentic additions to the car and therefore ok. So you could have a very distinct looking car yet be perfectly authentic.

But if you chose "off the rack" stuff from Pep Boys or out of a catalog from different manufactueres, it would count against you.

Porsche still does hold Concours and somethings that count toward authenticity and originality for the P-cars is keeping all your original stickers-airbag (yuck), warning decals, etc. I know I pulled mine off the day I got my car!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Porsche still does hold Concours and somethings that count toward authenticity and originality for the P-cars is keeping all your original stickers-airbag (yuck), warning decals, etc. I know I pulled mine off the day I got my car!

Actually in Zone 8 of PCA (California/AZ/NV) they only judge cleanliness and maintenance. Authenticity is not judged at all.....and I like it that way....my airbag stickers are covered up!

Porsche still does hold Concours .....

You bet they do....lol... I think there were over 100 cars at the last event I did...Santa Barbara Santa Barbara Concours Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations JB! That`s one sweet (and shiny) Boxster S!

Great pics!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    JB in Irvine,

Nice Boxter S! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

I have never entered a show but I have always enjoyed every one that I have attented.

I live in Santa Barbara and love to attend all the shows and concours that are in the area. If you know of a show coming up in the SB area that I might have missed, let me know.

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Our club has classes for both standard and modified cars, Peugeot optional extras and there SP range do not count against you as long as thety are extras for yor vehile, ie you cant put 406 wheels on a 306.

Post Thanks / Like
    brad, here in UK at porsche national level even some factory bolt -ons are considered as non original! some judges are dyed in the wool when it comes to originality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

The one award that you posted is similar to what they have for the 300ZX. Its called the Gold Cup/Medallion. Only one is awarded at the annual Z convention each year. Only 3 have been awarded for the Z32 (90+300ZX). It is the ulitimate award. As a matter of fact, if you car is judged and you meet the points qualifications then the Gold Cup judging is another completely seperate set of judging. Its concours all the way.

It`s something I will be striving for this year at the Z convention in New Hampshire.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information