Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, in two weeks I`m going to be entering my first car show at Texas A&M University. It`s gonna be a small event but I want my car to look GOOD. I drive a 1993 Mustang 5.0 (check out the pic) and it looks pretty good already (with a regular wash and wax) but this time I`m gonna polish it. I use nothing but Meguiar`s products on it so this is my plan of attack:

1. NXT Wash

2. Scratch-X entire car

3. Apply Deep Crystal Polish

4. Apply NXT wax

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I clay bar it as well? Also, any advice you can give me about car shows as far as what judges look for and what little details I should take care of would be greatly appreciated. ANY advice is appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw your screen name and remembered an idea:

Get a few door mountable mirrors and wood blocks and use those to show off your undercarriage. ( If you don`t have already)

Good luck at the show!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great looking Mustang !!! Somethings to keep in mind when doing shows:

Attention to Detail-I am not sure what type of show you are doing. Is it a Concours De Elegance or a regular type judged show. Concours shows tend to focus on attention to detail and the judges focus on making sure that everything is where it is supposed to be.

In alot of the Import Shows that I have done it seems to be more about "flash" etc. The judges tend to focus more on mods, playstations, stereos, etc. This is why the Concours shows are more appealling to me.

The most important thing is to take your time and enjoy yourself. Try and prep your car the best you can while paying attention to the little things. After the show, you might want to try and get your judging sheets to see what the judges took points off on. It gives you something to work on for your next show.

Alot of people get so hung up on the show and about winning. For me, its about getting out, having fun, meeting others, and seeing great cars.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Alot of people get so hung up on the show and about winning. For me, its about getting out, having fun, meeting others, and seeing great cars.

Amen!!!!

To me, that`s the best advice you can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the advice! This type of show is judged by students, it`s nothing to major. This is why I`m concerned that all the cars that have monitors installed will be getting all the points. I too really just wanna go and show off my hardwork and see the other cars in the "Hot Rod" class, which is the class I`m competing in. I never thought about placing mirrors under the car...interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    make sure its clean underneath if u put mirrors under

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others have said, look for dirt in places you wouldnt normally look. If you can get the car up in the air, wheels off, clean arches, floor pan, re paint calipers etc. Try and get into every nook and cranie. But as others have said most importantly have fun and take part.

The best advice I have ever got about where im going wrong with my car is to have a good chat to the judges after, about what they look for, where you went wrong and you will be ready for next time.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by underneath

... This type of show is judged by students, it`s nothing to major. This is why I`m concerned that all the cars that have monitors installed will be getting all the points. ..
    Maybe you should install mods that would appeal to students more than those. I`m thinking a pizza oven and beer keg ...

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I`m thinking a pizza oven and beer keg ... "

Yeah, I should pimp my ride at West Coast Customs huh? The car does have $6,000.00 in mods though, all performance wise, and I was thinking of including a list of mods to place under my hood so the judges can take those things into consideration. Is including a list of mods something that is normally done at car shows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget about the paint*, it looks great. Spend your time on the door hinges and other obscure areas that `normal` people never clean.

* in my opinion people spend too much time worrying about what polish/wax/sealant/unicorn oil to use on their paint and leave a lot of other details untended. "Real shiny" paint + great other detailed areas will beat "really really really shiny" paint + dirty doorjambs.

regards,

Jon

veteran of concours points lost for:

dust behind the dash, dirt on a seatbelt buckle, kid`s toy lost in the seat cushion, smudges on interior glass, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d change your NXT with a Carnuba like P21s personally, and apply the day before. I am old school and IMO Carnuba should be what people should put on show cars.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to ask the same question. I`m in the same situation but I am only 2 days away.

I got my paint, only, professionally polished a week ago. I had to drive it so It`s dirty now. So I have a few questions...

Is it ok to do a full wash with NXT? What QD spray should I use? What do I do about my engine, (inner)rims, and undercarrige?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is advisable to wax your car then wash before a show, helps to ensure you dont miss any tiny bits off wax residue anywhere. I used to QD with EF Clear Pearl at shows as it added a bit off extra pop to the carnuba.

I cleaned the underside off mine using good old fashinoned elbow grease and lots off soapy water and Autoglym engine and machine cleaner.

I agree 100% with Tetz in my early concours days spent to much time worrying about the 10th coat off something on my paint rather than the important bits engine bay, undercarrige, inside off rims etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    My $.02

Depends on the level of judging. Concours dE`legance vs reg show. But regardless of type of show my rule is this:

Be prepared when you get there, especially if you drive to the show vs trailer. After I place my car I

1. QD the Car

2. Paper towel to wipe of brake dust on rims (if I drive there)

3. vacum cleaner brush head to "comb" the carpet smooth.

4. glass cleaner

5. if parking is on grass, paper towel to remove grass on tires *on the flat tread side, just wipe off with paper towel.

6 - Never park next to a car better than yours

Post Thanks / Like
    This is good stuff guys...and I`m beginning to wonder if I belong in a car show because my car is driven four days a week but it looks good I`d say. The inside is perfect, except drivers side floor mat (I do not usually drive with passengers). Under the hood...well you guys can see for yourself. What do you think of this pic and what would you do to improve it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information