Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently posted on another forum I frequent, mentioning how he entered his car into a car show. I would be ashamed to have entered this car in...

Lots of mods no doubt, but the biggest downfall is the nasty swirls and holograms all over the hood. Is this a common thing? I plan on entering my teg into some shows this year and will be doing countless hours of prep work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m presuming that there is nothing in the makeup of CF hoods which would preclude a swirl free finish? Are they just clearcoated like a regular hood? Or is it the epoxy resin at the surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this at SEMA, LA Auto Show and every import show that I have been to. It`s like they don`t know the flaws are there or something.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike: I`ve detailed a CF hood before...It is NOT easy because it`s gelcoated, but it IS doable.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that`s why he doesn`t have any trophies next to it :nixweiss

It`s a really nice integra too bad the owner never took the time to detail it or have someone do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to the New Car Show in Sandy, UT last weekend. Was checking out the new BMWs 530i very nice car, but had orange peel on the part where the bottom of the car and roof meet, that little strip in between. For a $50,000 plus car that`s not acceptable to me. I was very disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the local shows tha I have attended have had cars that look worse!! Funny thing is, they usually win!! I guess the judges love swirls!!

I put on the local car show in my town, we have 100-200 cars, and they first thing I look for is swirls, scratches, etc. Then they really hate me when I break out the mirror to check their undercarriage!!
    2007 Infiniti G35S

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2008 CanAm Outlander 400XT

2008 Honda Rancher 420ES

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it must be the carbon fibre because there were similar problems on the cf equipped units at Detroit last week. The swirls looked terrible on the cf parts.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s funny but the only people who really notice some of these things is us!! Most of your average car lookers and even some of the real enthusists don`t notice the details. Its seems that a lot of the shows today are all about the "bling" and not the quality or attention to detail.:nixweiss

Honolulu, Hawaii, Land of $6-per-gallon milk!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that`s the typical show-car finish, Sean, I don`t think you`ll have any trouble. Have you asked any judges on what they think is important?
    "Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Current ride: 1992 Toyota Cressida, last of the great ones, RWD rules, baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 92MX83

If that`s the typical show-car finish, Sean, I don`t think you`ll have any trouble. Have you asked any judges on what they think is important?

I know there are some here on this site, so I`m waiting for them to chime in. The shows around here are pretty much based on mods unfortunately. I have a bunch, but some people go really crazy. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off I would be ashamed to drive the car, but whatever floats his/her boat....

EVERY car show I have ever been to that has been the norm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

First off I would be ashamed to drive the car, but whatever floats his/her boat....

EVERY car show I have ever been to that has been the norm.

I guess that`s why you win

Any quick tips you can give me for show car tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys should be worshiped at import meets !!! Some of the most neglected finishes have thousands of dollars invested in upgrades everywhere else on the car.

BTW... Classic car shows can hurt the eye also. Bodywork waves that beg you to grab a board and hang ten, and uneven gaps.

But I guess we notice thing like that here !!!

No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by John Styrnol

Went to the New Car Show in Sandy, UT last weekend. Was checking out the new BMWs 530i very nice car, but had orange peel on the part where the bottom of the car and roof meet, that little strip in between. For a $50,000 plus car that`s not acceptable to me. I was very disappointed.

I regularly see BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Audis, etc., with awful orange peel over the entire car.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information