Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s the problem when you buy cheap CF parts, these guys buy these $300 CF hoods thinking they are going to good quality. I`ve yet to see any of these hoods not turn to complete **** in a year after being outside, the resin starts to bubble, oxidation gets HORRID and it`s nearly IMPOSSIBLe to fix

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

I have been sponsored by Megs for my 1990 Nissan 300zx since 2002. They are pretty picky as to who they select. I have to submit a proposal every year and give them updates as to awards won etc.

I tried to get a sponsorship, but they aren`t doing hot rods these days, only imports

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

Well, I`m excited for the shows upcoming

I have a few months to go, but if I have stuff like this competing against me, I just hope the judges have a good eye.

which car shows are you referring to? i plan on entering my car as well, when it is complete..

arent there certain classes you can enter your car in? such as lightly modded best of show jdm, or lightly modded best of show honda? :nixweiss

atleast you know you`re car will have the one of the best detail jobs on it.. lol. i know people who spend 3-4 days prepping their car for a show, and thats using a lift, and working 10-16 hours a day

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SpoiledMan

I saw this at SEMA, LA Auto Show and every import show that I have been to. It`s like they don`t know the flaws are there or something.

what it is, is quite simple:

I`ve found that (non-autopian) people who do lots with mechanical/performance mods don`t know about or care about detailing the appearance. And people who keep them clean don`t know much about performance mods.

I know that`s not the case with most of us here, but aside from autopia, its what I`ve found.

Post Thanks / Like
    You would enter in stock or light modified (at least that is what they use to call that class before.) Unfortunately I doubt that you will get more points for *swirl free* shiny paint vs the one with swirl city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean,

The 2004 Atlanta Auto Show had swirls on $200K Lambos! I`m not sure if it is the norm but I wonder if the vendors are required to use some special detailing team. In Atlanta there were detailing attendants using some weird QD and terry towels (scratch-a-matic brand ) The cars were butchered...

This may be good for you though. We all know your TEG will be perfect so it should stand out even more.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SilverLexus

Sean,

The 2004 Atlanta Auto Show had swirls on $200K Lambos! I`m not sure if it is the norm but I wonder if the vendors are required to use some special detailing team. In Atlanta there were detailing attendants using some weird QD and terry towels (scratch-a-matic brand ) The cars were butchered...

This may be good for you though. We all know your TEG will be perfect so it should stand out even more.

werd. I attend NAIAS in Detroit most every year (didn`t this year ) and they have guys with those little wool dusters and flannel dust cloths going around wiping down the cars -- some use Meguiar`s FI detailer, but most just dry wipe the cars. All are employed by the convention center; obviously don`t know a thing about detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    i went to a car show a few years ago and they had "best paint" category. well, the winner turned out to be an aftermarket very very deep blue paintjob, but it had TERRIBLE swirls.

i was dumbfounded!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 99ITR_SC

i went to a car show a few years ago and they had "best paint" category. well, the winner turned out to be an aftermarket very very deep blue paintjob, but it had TERRIBLE swirls.

i was dumbfounded!!

let me guess.... airbrushed ghost flames or something custom of that nature, right? A lot of the old-school rodders and custom shops care more about the `effects` they paint onto the car, and not whether or not the paint is then swirl free. I`ve witnessed on more than one occasion a classic car being `detailed` with turtle wax rubbing compound and turtle wax paste. :shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    I too was AMAZED at the way some of those cars look at the local shows. Dull, foggy headlight, chiped paint on there kits, tons of swirl marks, I even saw on car with a BENT WHEEL. Why in the world would people even think of entering with that. To each there own I guess

Post Thanks / Like
    I have swirls in my carbon fiber hood quite simply for the fact that i`m not sure of the thickness or quality of the clearcoat sprayed on it and I don`t want to have to risk burning through it. Most of them have come out..but there are a few that i`m afraid to go after agressively.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Car shows seem to be all about mods or what the USA calls â€Ëœblingâ€â„¢ (just how shiny can you make your spinners) or how many â€Ëœmodsâ€â„¢ or HP you have installed, for real detailing go to a Concourse dâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’©légance like Amelia Island, Florida -Best of Class 1925-1935 was a 1934- Packard Aero Sport Cope (the most recent vehicle winner 1966 Ford GT40 MKII or my favorite Best of Class was a 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost not a carbon fiber hood in site or a swirl to be seen. Judges wear white gloves to inspect everything including the engine bay and use mirrors for the undercarriage

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    We keep hearing this time and time again. I think we have to try our hardest to have a stand at some major loal shows demonstrating the autopia way. Its a win win situation.
    One of the Original Autopians !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Myles

We keep hearing this time and time again. I think we have to try our hardest to have a stand at some major loal shows demonstrating the autopia way. Its a win win situation.

Unfortunately some people never do learn, or just plain don`t want to learn. It always amazes me that when I try to tell someone how a more effective way to do something is, they just want to go ahead and do it their way and complain when it screws up their vehicle. It`s like "Dont argue with me when you ask me advice or want me to help you do something! If you know how to do it, don`t complain to me when you mess up and realize I was right in the first place!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    This car makes me :hairpull

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information