Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sean the more shows you attend the more you will realize just how trained your Autopian eyes are. I`ve been involved in the local show circuit here going on 6 years now and I am still amazed at how poor the condition of the paint of some of the "show stoppers" are. They will have immaculate, orange peel free, mile deep paint jobs and be covered in swirls. To the average Joe, even the average show enthusiast, their eye is just not trained to see a swirl. Ignorance is indeed bliss. What you and I would see as a paint surface in need of gawd forsaken hours of prep to them will look perfect. I am reminded of the thread a while ago when Meguiar`s had their Autopian day. Scott, Bob and a few other Autopian`s got to see Jay Leno`s car collection and see the nastiness of "swirl city". To "normal" people...those cars looked just fine.

Don`t get me wrong...there are folks out there that do know what they are looking at when they see paint that has been prepped to the 9`s...but they are few and far between.

I have learned to be my own judge at a car show. I know my car will be up to my standards...and at the end of the day...that is all that really matters.
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a portland car. im going to practice the "if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything" approach

These portland "show" cars are absolutely terrible except for a select few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

Sean the more shows you attend the more you will realize just how trained your Autopian eyes are. I`ve been involved in the local show circuit here going on 6 years now and I am still amazed at how poor the condition of the paint of some of the "show stoppers" are. They will have immaculate, orange peel free, mile deep paint jobs and be covered in swirls. To the average Joe, even the average show enthusiast, their eye is just not trained to see a swirl. Ignorance is indeed bliss. What you and I would see as a paint surface in need of gawd forsaken hours of prep to them will look perfect. I am reminded of the thread a while ago when Meguiar`s had their Autopian day. Scott, Bob and a few other Autopian`s got to see Jay Leno`s car collection and see the nastiness of "swirl city". To "normal" people...those cars looked just fine.

Don`t get me wrong...there are folks out there that do know what they are looking at when they see paint that has been prepped to the 9`s...but they are few and far between.

I have learned to be my own judge at a car show. I know my car will be up to my standards...and at the end of the day...that is all that really matters.

This pretty much sums it for me. Well said 1 Clean WS6 :xyxthumbs

Sean, trust me your attention to detail and skill level will be all that is needed in the show. Your daily driver will be ten times cleaner than any garage queen there.

Post Thanks / Like
    well first of all im starring at the red rsx (?) thats in the background of that picture, nows thats some nice paint. anyways, i do think its pretty common. the last show i went to in hawaii had lots of swirled cars. it was especially apprant under the lights. however, there was also a car show that featured strictly exotics, and i noticed that many of the nice ferraris seems to be detailed very well, though there was a fair share of those that were swirled. anyways, i would say that its pretty common amongst show cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

I know there are some here on this site, so I`m waiting for them to chime in. The shows around here are pretty much based on mods unfortunately. I have a bunch, but some people go really crazy. Time will tell.

I used to show but stopped a couple of years ago.

Yes swirls are part of these shows for most cars. As long as the paint is shiny is all that seems to matter.

On another note, seeing how everything evolved in the car show scene in the last few years, you would have to spend a fortune to compete with these cars. Not sure if it would be worth it.

What are your plans?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`m excited for the shows upcoming

I have a few months to go, but if I have stuff like this competing against me, I just hope the judges have a good eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my old car club we had clases for both standard and modified vehicles. There where no points on modifications however. Tho if you entered a modified car car in standard class you should off lost points, most people didnt as the judges where not keen eyed enough to notice non factory additions or finishes. (BANGHEAD)

When I judged the back in September swirl marks, badly detailed engine bays, and dirtier wheel arches than I would have on my daily drive where common place. The same people moaned when they got low scores!

Most properly arranged competitions will have a proper judging criteria setting out exactly what is marked on and the amount of points given. It is advisable to get hold of this before hand of the event to see what is judged if possible and get it back after to see where you dropped points.

Regards

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its all about the type of shows that you do Sean. If you doing alot of Import type shows than its all about the "bling". You are going to see things that are going to make you shake your head...swirls, people cleaning cars with dirty rags, spraying stuff all over the place after you get your car prepped etc.

Things are alittle better at "concours" type events where the judges seem to be more picky at things and are not concerned with "mods" and such.

Whatever you do remember shows are about having fun, seeing awesome cars, and meeting new people.

Good luck with the shows you have coming up. With the way you treat your car and the details that you post on the forum you should have no problems..:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

Scott, Bob and a few other Autopian`s got to see Jay Leno`s car collection and see the nastiness of "swirl city".

Shame on Mr. Leno. :nono

It`s as if Meguiar`s doesn`t do enough "horn-tooting" by associating themselves with him. If they want to sponsor someone, at least that person should have some idea of how to maintain their car finish. After all, Meguiar`s IS the expert in car care!

Post Thanks / Like
    If they want to sponsor someone, at least that person should have some idea of how to maintain their car finish. After all, Meguiar`s IS the expert in car care!

I have been sponsored by Megs for my 1990 Nissan 300zx since 2002. They are pretty picky as to who they select. I have to submit a proposal every year and give them updates as to awards won etc.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

I have been sponsored by Megs for my 1990 Nissan 300zx since 2002. They are pretty picky as to who they select. I have to submit a proposal every year and give them updates as to awards won etc.

Except that they don"t bother with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood looks bad, but the maroon car on the left is dripping wet

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

Well, I`m glad to see that they have the smarts to sponsor an Autopian! That`s what I call a win situation! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I see this all the time, along with filty engines and interiors. it always amazes me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanna see a nice finish. There`s this video on rotation on cable. The rapper`s name is The Game. I didn`t catch what car it was, just a glimpse, but that thing is beautiful.Just BLACK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information