Post Thanks / Like
    Im entering my 1st car this weekend, this may be a stupid question, but should I leave my hood up, trunk up or closed, windows, etc...what is the best presentation.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One mans opinion / observations~

Usually the judges expect you to open the doors, hood and trunk and place your scorecard under a wiper

Oh! Good luck (warning it gets very addictive, which is strange considering the amount of time you’ll spend preparing the vehicle and then you willingly ask a group of people that you don’t know to find as many ‘faults’ with it as they can and then give you a score for it…)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most I`ve attended have the hoods open almost all of the time. When they come to your car just do everything they ask. He he, I wonder how many judges are Autopians
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing to do is ask when you register. I have been to shows that have requirments and others that leave it up to you

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our last experience this Spring included judging of the engine compartment. If your hood was down, you received 0 points towards the overall total.

I would definitely ask if it isn`t already explained in the rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Windows down so they can see the interior. Usually in real competitive shows the trunk lid is open, the drivcer`s door is open and the hood is up. Personally I think the hood should be down and rarely show my engine.

I`m just "old school" ---- years ago nobody got a chance to see what was under the hood. You found out the hard way while leaving a green light. Now everybody shows the engine but nobdoy can appreciate the finer working of the engine; they just look for chrome and blowers or turbos. The more the merrier regardless of whether it works better or not.

Guess I`ll brush some salt of my shoulders now!

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hood and trunk up with the windows down and all your doors unlocked. Keep your registration/score card under your wiper or on your dash in one of the a-pillar corners.

Good luck!!! :up
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely have my hood up, takes away from the lines of the car to much, and I`ve won a good amount of shows.

I`ve yet to ever recieve a score card at a show

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HotRodGuy

I`ve yet to ever recieve a score card at a show

No score card? I don`t know, I thought it was standard practice :nixweiss How do you know your score (as related to ranking)? We have even received a judge`s scoring "card" which breaks down each judging component.

Are these show perhaps participant judged shows? I`ve never gotten a score card there, but do have an entry/ID card and instructions include where this must be displayed.

Windows up, driver`s door open, hood and trunk lids up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HotRodGuy

.........I`ve yet to ever recieve a score card at a show
    All depends on the show, some give you a score sheet to leave on the seat/window for the judges when they come around, other judges just carry their own sheets, and yet some shows I go to have drive-through judging.

As for how to display, ask at registration what they expect access to, then after they judge your car display it as you think it looks best. Some, like HotRodGuy, like the lines of their car/truck with the hood closed, others like to display what`s under the hood.

I suggest you not get too caught up in the race for trophies, the real fun is the driving to the shows, seeing a lot of cool cars, making new friends, etc.

Good Luck and have fun :xyxthumbs
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Car show is over, my car was as clean or cleaner than the day I bought it from the showroom floor. They only had 1 place for each class, the club members 2002 bullit won in my class, but it was fun and I met a lot of people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick around here long enough and you`ll be sure to beat the pants off that Bullit owner next time around! :xyxthumbs
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Eliot Ness

I suggest you not get too caught up in the race for trophies, the real fun is the driving to the shows, seeing a lot of cool cars, making new friends, etc.

Good Luck and have fun :xyxthumbs [/B]

That is the truth!!! So many people get upset over who won!! Just enjoy the day and make a lot of new friends!

-Dennis
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Oh! Good luck (warning it gets very addictive, which is strange considering the amount of time you’ll spend preparing the vehicle and then you willingly ask a group of people that you don’t know to find as many ‘faults’ with it as they can and then give you a score for it…)

:hm Sounds like a rare form of masochism! OTOH, I like to detail my car. Maybe it isn`t all that different!

Thread Information