Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking of buying a trailer for my next showcar project,in the past I have always driven my showcars,but with a heavy heart realise I just can`t compete with trailered cars and will be saving myself a lot of extra work getting the car back to `show` standard,after driving it to/from shows.

What hints/tips can you guys give me?If I go for a open trailer and put a car cover on it is the buffeting of the wind on the cover going to damage the paint? Not use a cover and reverse the car on the trailer,so I don`t get squashed flies over the harder to detail front??

Do I bite the bullet and get a (much more expensive) enclosed trailer?At least if I went for enclosed I could possibly store the car in it a have more garage space.

But you can pick up open trailers secondhand (cheaply)and I bet I will have to get a custom made enclosed trailer over here in the UK as there won`t be that much call for them.
    1959 model Mini,Speedwell Blue.

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

1990 Peogeot 1.9 205 GTI,Red.

2001 Ford Focus Ghia Diesel,Metallic Phantom Black.Arrrrrrgggghhh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well for starters you can`t drive an open trailer with a car cover on. The flapping will cause major damage to the paint.

I have an open trailer and it fits my needs perfectly for shows. My trailer is an open bed which I find to be great. It allows me to put the car on the trailer and work on the suspension.

Enclosed trailers are nice but expensive. You are also going to need something alot heavier to pull the enclosed trailer because of the weight.

I guess it really depends on how much showing you do. I do 6-7 shows per year so the open trailer fits my needs perfectly. I think I paid about $2000 for the entire package. This included everything, straps, fees, etc. I also upgraded my trailer slightly from the base model to included wheel wells that are removable.

Hope it helps..
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t think of getting anything but an enclosed trailer. They make light-weight aluminum enclosed trailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ZaneO

I wouldn`t think of getting anything but an enclosed trailer. They make light-weight aluminum enclosed trailers.

ZaneO,Could you give reasons to back up your opinion, please?:up

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Zane0. If it`s for a show car I wouldn`t consider anything but an enclosed. They can also be found fairly cheap, however I don`t know about over there. Personally I`m a drive to the show kind of guy and I compete w/ the big guys. I recently went to a show where I took a top 10 out of about 2,000 prime cars. It was a 3 day event and I drove 280 miles round trip each day. All the other owners thought I was nuts as most of them trailored their cars down there. What fun is it if you don`t drive them.

But if the main reason you don`t want to drive it is to keep it clean what good is an open trailor gonna do for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    The enclosed trailer gives you total protection from dirt, dust, bugs, wind, rain, sun, people, etc. They generally have storage and work space inside, along with lighting and power. This allows supplies, tools, compressors, shop vacs, etc. while freeing up space in your tow vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can even get bare bones enclosed trailors cheap that don`t include those accesories. Pretty close in price to new open trailors also

Post Thanks / Like
    btw, just curious, what are you planning on towing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HotRodGuy

btw, just curious, what are you planning on towing?

Looking to buy a really early Mini (1959 model) the Mini has a massive cult following over here in England,so theres a show almost every weekend.

There are very few early Minis left really,I already have a Feb 1960 model in excellent original condition,15,000, Miles two Lady owners.I have never got anywhere trophy wise with this car as I will need to totaly rebuild a car in order to show it as the emphasis is on perfection.

Thought it would be nice save a early Mini as it would be a little unusual as a show car as they have a few quirky features,but findung one is proving hard.

The original non-BMW Mini is only about 10 feet long so maybe I should buy a car made in the U.S and take it to shows in the glove box?

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    haha, or get a pick up truck. There is a huge mini following out here in my area and even 2 big shops that do work w/ them a within a few miles of me.

A mini is going to be my next project, my father and I have been wanting to build one for years. Unfortunately though we are gonna cut it up and put in a vtec honda motor

You may want to look into an inclosed motorcycle trailor!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HotRodGuy

[B]haha, or get a pick up truck. There is a huge mini following out here in my area and even 2 big shops that do work w/ them a within a few miles of me.

A mini is going to be my next project, my father and I have been wanting to build one for years. Unfortunately though we are gonna cut it up and put in a vtec honda motor

I`ve got an article somewhere in one of the UK Mini magazines,on how to go about shoehorning a V-tec into a Mini,I understand its easier with the clubman,I could dig it up if you wanted?

It works out quite expensive but you would have one rapid little car!

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a ton of info on them, there is a company over there that sells everything you need. There is even a guy out here in Canada I believe that is about to release a frame that`s built for a vtec motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 people over here selling the frame for the V-tec conversion,I think you also need something on the electrical side which is WAY expensive that has to be especialy made,I will try to find out.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the Trailer debate?

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definately covered IMO. My dad just got a covered tailer, granted, i dont think he`ll ever put the car in it as he likes to drive it too much, but its loads nicer than the open one we had. I look at it this way, once youre at the show, Boom, instant shelter, get a cot, take a nap, you`re good to go. Yeah, they`re lots more expensive, and you need something pretty big to haul em with, but i think in the end you would be happy you got a covered trialer. One trip in the pouring rain with an uncovered trailer, and i think you`ll see what i mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr Concours

There are 2 people over here selling the frame for the V-tec conversion,I think you also need something on the electrical side which is WAY expensive that has to be especialy made,I will try to find out.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the Trailer debate?

yea, wiring may be tricky but I should be able to handle it. Let me know what you can find out about the frames!!

Thread Information