Post Thanks / Like
    What drives people to show at Concours Events? I asked this question to get feedback from individuals who regularly show.

At the Porsche Club here in the Southwest we have quite a big concours program. We have 12 events with 347 entries last year. Some are small events with just 20 judged cars and others are close to 100.

However of the 347 entries last year the distribution was skewed.

16 people accounted for 90 entries

229 people accounted for 257 entries

The 16 "hardcore" folk were competing for the end of year trophies that require a minimum of 4 events.

So what drives the "hardcore" concours people to show? Awards? Trophies? Other forms of recognition?

What would increase the attendance from the other groups? What would make these people cross over into the "hardcore" group?

I`m also sure we are going to see concours burn out from a few of the hardcore folks this year as well.

So what do you all think? What drives you? What would a perfect concours competition look like?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have three reasons why I like to compete.

1. Pride of ownership. This is probably my biggest reason to do it. I like "going the extra mile" to get the car looking it`s best and running it`s best. I think it`s neat to see an old car that looks like it just rolled off the factory floor.

2. I like the challenge.

3. I like being with fellow enthusiasts that have something in common with me. The day I see these enthusiasts get nasty just to win is the day I quit concours shows.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally, when I get into one thing really intensely, I do burn out.

I only did one concours, a PCA event where I did great (2nd place in my category, only Boxster to place). But it took me 6 weeks to prepare, and it is really tough when you have no garage!

I didn`t even wash my car for a couple months, never wanted to compete last year. But I`m thinking about it now.

Unlike other PCA events, concours isn`t just something you show up to. And for me, I know I wouldn`t bother unless I went as far with the prep as I had previously. That`s a big commitment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, JB, you sure know how to pose the tough question.

I`ll try to answer as honestly as I can, from the perspective of somebody who has owned a fairly-rare 1975 Jaguar for nearly 2 years now.

I first showed up at a non-Concours All-British show, not really knowing the rarity of my old Jag. But when all the guys were spell-bound and drooling over it, I started questioning them and then went home and did some research. Also, at that show, I met several Jag owners who were wonderfully helpful, friendly and supporitive. Then I discovered Jaguar`s Concours program and began showing the car with pretty good success.

The reasons I became a repeat-Concours participant:

1. It was SO COOL to show a seldom-seen car and get the admiration of fellow car-lovers.

2. I loved kibitzing with other Jag owners -- sharing technical and aesthethic tips, the lore of the marquee, etc.

3. Lastly, it was nifty to ge the scoresheets and trophies that validated the attention I had lavished on the car to get her looking sleek. But this was really the least important.

Now ... the reasons I got burned on concours:

1. I felt like I got burned by club politics.

2. I learned that cars like mine -- which are driven regularly and not garaged and not over-restored -- will not compete well against over-restored trailer queens. It`s a slam-dunk, and I don`t need that kind of humbling over a hobby.

Since then, I`ve been doing more local non-judged shows, All-British shows, European shows, etc. where I can just enjoy hanging out with other enthusiasts, appreciate the compliments of spectators, etc. -- sort of like Afshin & Boxster Charlie have already said -- without the hassle and expense of driving hundreds of miles to lose to an over-restored trailer queen. Sorry if that sounds bitter. But at the moment I am sorta bitter. And (to be honest) probably, in my heart, jealous of folks who have a garage and a trailer.

Thread Information