Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As I have been doing car shows for only a short time (6 years) I notice a new trend in the cars that are in attendance are more and more everyday cars? Last weekend I went to a show and was really unimpressed. Most of the cars there were less than a year old and didn’t have more than 1-2 mods to make them more interesting than a stock car of the same make and model. I can understand a newer car that has a ton of mods to make it more of a show car more than a one that is setting at the dealership. Am I the only one seeing this? It seems to me that it is taking the “show†out of a car show!

Now don’t get me wrong if you have a car that is 10+ years old and it looks brand new and has 10k Miles & no mods that is still something to show. But a K&N FIPK and some colored wire loom on a 2004 doesn’t seem to make a show car? Lets see some custom paint, Maybe some polish workâ€. Heck even some chrome!!!! I am not trying to step on toes here†But lets give the people something to look at, something to wow about!

Ok ok Rant off.. Sorry

DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, around here the local shows generally won`t allow any cars less than 15 years old to participate. My other car just qualifies this year. Even at that, being so "concours minded" I would hesitate to put it in anything higher than a "survior class"; to me it still doesn`t really qualify as a true show car due to some body issues, but they generally don`t get that technical. Now that my car can be in a true car show I`ll have to get around to entering it one of these days ......
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest thing I see with this is people taking SUV`s and putting huge rims on them.

I`m not saying they look bad, but when that`s your ONLY mod, I`m not impressed. Any idiot can go out and buy cool rims. To me, its the upkeep (detail and maintenance), DIY mods, and something more than just rims that makes a car show worthy.

To me, I don`t care if your car says "RICE" down the side, it`s your thing and that`s fine. But some of these people literally pull their car off the dealer and think its show car worthy.

There should be mod restrictions or desirability testing before a car enters. IE: If you drive an Integra (I`m just using it cuz I drive one), there should be a certain amount of mods done that makes your`s stand apart from the stock ones. OR. If you pull in with a Brand new CTS-V, it`s a different story. They are very rare (as of now) and VERY desirable.

Could just be me, but that`s how I feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

OR. If you pull in with a Brand new CTS-V, it`s a different story. They are very rare (as of now) and VERY desirable.

Mnnnnn yum a new V... Caddy + LS6(Z06 Covette) Motor = Screw car shows! Go for a drive!

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Redcar GUY

Mnnnnn yum a new V... Caddy + LS6(Z06 Covette) Motor = Screw car shows! Go for a drive!

Can I get an Amen from the congretation?

I agree with what all has been said. I see cars at shows that are lowered and have aftermarket wheels and think, where is the custom work? Anybody can buy a bunch of stuff and screw it on to their cars, let`s see something unique. I wouldn`t classify many of these "shows" as such, they are more of a get together. Wait, my car is lowered and I have aftermarket wheels, maybe I`ll enter it in a custom car show.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    i personally hate it when ppl say, ``ye i`ve got a custom air filter, and custom boost guage`` and stuff like that, when in reality its just bought off the shelf!

custom usually means ONE OFF

Post Thanks / Like
    What I`ve seen over the last few years are too many car shows period. Now that the internet is so pervasive, anyone can organize and promote a car show at any time. Get 10-15 people together on some internet forum and they`re organizing a show someplace.

The guys with real talent aren`t showing at every little worthless event but display only at large events where the recognition is there. But even those events are getting more common. I dunno.... as a spectator I like lots of shows but I agree with you guys that the quality has dropped significantly.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s why I don`t even go to World of Wheels anymore. You used to see all kinds of wild vehicles there. Now you see cars with a cold air package and a bolt on exhaust and these people think they have a custom creation on their hands. I like seeing the newer cars and all at shows but there should be a minimum amount of mods to qualify for entry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thumper

That`s why I don`t even go to World of Wheels anymore.
    I use to take the SS to the world of wheels here in Indiana, then they moved the show from one of the nicest convention centers around to the darn fairgrounds!

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    The same problem has been happeneing here to the point where cars with 100 miles on them were competing with 10 yr old cars. I was in one show last year where I was in a class "Stock 1970 to Present!" A T-Bird with 68 miles on it won! This year they changed the classes into 10 yr groups so I`ll be in 1990 to 1999 wish is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest thing I see with this is people taking SUV`s and putting huge rims on them.

Thats all I seem to see anymore. Its big rims, TV Screens, and Neon. Whatever happened to the classics.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had this argument with several members of my local GP Club chapter. They are upset that more members aren’t showing cars at car shows, even Poncho specific ones. I tried to explain that most of our cars aren’t show cars. We have a few cars that have custom hoods, spoilers, wheels, engine mods, etc that are show worthy.

My car could easily be confused for any other GP in any given parking lot (except a bit shinier ). There is no reason for me to show it, even if the class was 1997+ Grand Prixs. Our MG Club puts on a big show in June of each year. There is one category for modern cars. The focus is mostly on foreign and sports cars, but we do also get good ol’ American Iron. I think that people that want to show off their modern cars, they should stick to cruise nights.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with just about ALL the opinions posted here. If I put my hard earned money and time into making MY car look good. I believe I have the right to "show" it a car show. The point of a car show is to look a "nice" cars. Your defination is of nice is up to you. I don`t care if the car is a 2004 stocker or a 50 year old car modded to hell. If you can see the hardwork the owner has put into via either keeping it clean or adding mods then he gets a thumbs up in my book.
    Antonio Wright - Mdetailer@Gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    RCG, I gotta hand it to you: You have the nerve to tackle the HARD discussion topics.

Now ... <flame suit on>

I guess I`m just not interested in the kind of "car shows" that most folks in this thread are talking about. I gag at cars lowered, neoned, nitro`d. I just look them and say, "What is that person trying to prove?" It`s like they bought a "base-piece" on which they wanted to do some artwork.

I gotta confess a bias to the older cars. I find today`s cars just BOOOOOORRRRRRRING. I`d like to buy a new car, but everything I see just says "same-old/same-old."

So ... I just go the shows that have older cars (And, yeah, I confess I go to the British/Euro showsl) And what impresses me is the way that folks have maintained/restored their classic cars. Whether it`s Afshin with his 90s Benz or the guy on Autopia with the old MG .. that`s what gets my jets racing.

Me, with an old `70s Jag ... I just dont "get it" when folks with a 2004 Jag show up at a "car show." Like what did it "cost" them? :nixweiss They just had to wash and wax it. They didn`t have to scrub 30 years of scrunge off the engine. They`re not having to do war daily against rust.

Maybe old cars and late-model cars just need different "shows"? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, new to this forum.

I have a 2000 Z3 and plan on showing it. The only modifications I`ve made (so far) are adding some chrome. I feel comfortable taking the car to show because it`s no longer made. I`m looking forward to the day I put "historic" plates on `er.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information