Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t try to get worked up about the judging at shows. My 1961 Comet S-22 never stands a chance. I did most of the work myself. It`s a pretty rare model, and usually the only Comet at the show. The popular vote goes to over-restored 1957 chevy. I get more satisfaction in knowing I can drive mine anywhere without fear of fingerprints.

I don`t like seeing "new" cars at shows. There are a few exceptions, but generally they don`t do a thing for me. If I want to see that I`ll go to a dealership. There was a new GTO at a show last week. It had less than 500 miles. :nixweiss Didn`t do it for me. The unrestored - very rough - 1954 Vette was more fun to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,

Let me me tell you about the Peach City Beach Crusie I attended in Penticton BC yesterday (June 12). It had ~750 cars and most were from 1920-1970 with the odd new Viper. Of course there was a large Vette club displaying old and new iron. Overall, a FANTASTIC show! It was a breath of fresh air!!! It had cars from all over Western Canada and the United States. It was a 3 day event and a LOT of FUN!

Here is a only sample of what I mean (I took the photos):

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics Tim! THX!
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, some are you guys are spot on. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t attend many shows anymore, especially shows with “modern†cars. I’m sorry, but I’m not impressed with an import with a poorly fitted body kit, large wing and nitrous. If that’s your thing, great, but it’s not what I define as a show car. These types of cars are pretty much a dime a dozen these days, and all look the same in my eyes. I can appreciate some of the stock vehicles, but even they can get bland. If it`s a new car, that’s a rare edition (something like the 04 Ford GT) that’s a different story. But seeing 25 stock Mustangs or Corvettes that are 2 or 3 years old, in different colors, isn’t something that is impressive to me. I can see the same thing at a local Chevy or Ford dealer.

I try to attend Concours shows, mainly. The marque really isn’t all that important because I enjoy seeing a good restoration of nearly any classic automobile. Even at these shows, the judging has gotten absolutely horrendous. At many local, and even regional, events it’s not what car you bring, but who you are. I’ve routinely seen cars with notable owners beat other superior cars with less notable owners. At a recent Concours I attended a 1964 Rolls won Best in Class. It had freakin’ visible wear on the seats competing in a restored class! ARG! There were MUCH better cars in the class. Why did this vehicle win? The owner of the vehicle was one of the sponsors of the event. Jeez, that sounds like fair judging.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree with everyone else. (well, almost everybody...). i hate going to a show to see a car that is totaly stock competing. we went to a show a few weeks ago here at the beach and there was a stock Silverado SS competing. not even just parked at a booth, it was actually in the show.i dont think it would have been too bad if it was Chevy trying to get publicity for it, but it was a couple who just happened to buy it when their previous truck`s tranny blew out on them on the road. Yes, its a nice truck, but its not a show car. its just a new car.

if i want to see a new stock car, i can go to a dealership. they even let you DRIVE the cars at dealerships...

Edit*

oops, just noticed the date on this thread.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here we have a lot of car shows during the day and then at night it turns into a cruise event. I usually go to the cruise part but not to look at cars but hang out with friends.

I`m seeing way too many car shows. There are like two going on every weekend around here. Every group I`ve been in someone starts trying to organize their own car show...

The world of wheels show this year wasn`t that bad. There weren`t many cars that were just stock with just a few mods. The only one I can think of is an escalade that just had chrome rims.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of comments about this topic on car shows. First off, I`d also like to recommend the NSRA Street Rod Nationals held each August in Louisville, KY. Where else are you going to have a chance to see 12,000 pre 1949 street rods at one event? If you like street rods, this is a “must see†event.

On the subject of new cars at the shows, well, I think it is the responsibility of the shows sponsors to decide what year cars they’ll allow. I go to some “open†car shows and it does strike me odd that someone deems their stock 2003 truck/car as a show car. But hey, if they’re proud of it, and the show has no age restriction then I guess they have a right to be there alongside my 1940 Chevy coupe. While I love the NSRA street rod events, I also like the Goodguys and other shows that allow cars up to pre 1972. That allows a bit more diversity and I love the 55-57 Chevys, muscle cars, and the assortment of odd cars that show up. At the Ducktail run last year (Gas City, IN) there were even two boat tail Auburns that cruised through.

Then there is the subject of trophy’s. I’ll bet I’m opening up a real can of worms here! There’s nothing wrong with someone trying to win a trophy at an event with their car, but sometimes people get caught up in the trophy race and forget what’s really important. That is the fun of driving your car to the events and meeting new (and old) friends. The judges at these events aren’t perfect, they have their own preferences, and if you win that’s great, but if not I hope you at least enjoyed driving you car there. The real trophies aren’t made of shiny plastic and wood. It’s the people in your neighborhood who come over to see the “neat†car. It’s the little kid down the street who asks you a thousand questions, always prefaced with, “how fast will it go?†It is the thumbs up sign you receive from the guy in the pickup truck as you drive down the highway. Those are the real trophies. If all you want are trophies made of plastic and wood, then quit spending all your time in the garage and join the summer bowling league!

I’ll close with a quote from my best friend who passed away in February. “I don’t even raise my Hood anymore when I go to a cruise-in. I just enjoy driving to the event, looking in front or behind me at the cool cars in our caravan, the sound of my exhaust (turn off the radio). I enjoy getting ready for a Sunday trip or a weekend getaway, talking on the phone like a bunch of old women (thank god for e-mail and 3 way calling) with my crusin’ buddies, the planning, and THE TRIP is what I think Street Rodding is all about. If I had wanted a point car that never got driven I think I would have bought a picture†Thank God for bugs, dust and road kill.â€

Life is short my friends, get in that car and drive!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Three words; Woodward Dream Cruise! The most outragious display of American Muscle I have ever seen. You should trailer up the SS and head to Detroit for the 2005 cruise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information