What is the general consensus on judging an original car competing against a fully restored car?

I can`t help feeling there should be some kind of concession for an unrestored original car,I see this quite often an elderly owner ,possibly the first owner or second owner of a original car kept out of the silverware because someone has trailered a `fresh from the workshop` ground up restoration,that really is to such a high standard that the factory would have never have dreamed of on their best Day!

Don`t you think that original is only original once and that its better to see something that isn`t `overestored`. While I do admit it isnt always possible to find a nice low milage original car to show and you might have to fully restore a car to make it a contender why not go for an original type finish? All to often I see a paint job on a post war car that really is just far too good,if every car that came out of the factory had a slight orange peel should I/we mark it down as its unoriginal?

I guess this whole Perfection V Originality is a bigger nightmare when you are Judging multi marque shows and not so bad if just Judging a one make event.

Yes you do get a WOW factor on a full restoration to a show standard, I would just like to see some of the little guys get some credit and not always the person with the biggest cheque book win.

Rant over!