Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

I searched extensively for sources which mentioned automotive parts as their forte, unfortunately none nearby existed so I decided to phone interview a few local places. I narrowed it down to the platers that didn`t overreact when I told them what I wanted done. I took a chance with the shop I used, luckily the job was completed on time (3 business days) at the price quoted. I will be using them again when I need to have my nuts/bolts gold cad plated in the future. Again I had previous business history with them which helped.

Funny you mention the EPA violations, I am an equipment supplier including wastewater equipment. It`s amazing walking into facilities and seeing some of the things manufacturers get away with. Many get fined on a regular basis for dumping chemicals into sewers and only purchase equipment when faced with shutdown.:nono I`ve seen this not just in the chemical industry but also dairy and food industries. OTOH Playing Devils Advocate.....with all the regulations in the US it`s no wonder manufacturers are moving overseas, not only is labor cheaper but the EPA isn`t there to regulate them.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MBZ 500E

..Funny you mention the EPA violations, I am an equipment supplier including wastewater equipment. It`s amazing walking into facilities and seeing some of the things manufacturers get away with. Many get fined on a regular basis for dumping chemicals into sewers and only purchase equipment when faced with shutdown.:nono I`ve seen this not just in the chemical industry but also dairy and food industries. OTOH Playing Devils Advocate.....with all the regulations in the US it`s no wonder manufacturers are moving overseas, not only is labor cheaper but the EPA isn`t there to regulate them.

IMO it`s too bad that people will do stuff that`s literally poisoning their own community (or anyone`s, for that matter) just to save some money and hassle. I`m not one for governmental interference (and nobody`s ever called me a tree-hugger ), but only a moron would dump the toxic soup from plating into a waste water system (let alone the one IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY) that can`t treat it properly. The guys who got shut down here deserved a lot more trouble than they got, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this thread, wow they look good. Will the pads remove the plateing in the swept area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich,

The plating will definitely wear off on the swept area, I knew this up front. My goal was to keep the unswept areas looking factory new especially the outer edges of the rotors and the point of contact with the wheels. Both areas are visible through the wheels and were a sore spot IMO. Here`s a shot of the front rotors, you`ll note the rust covers the unswept areas and detracts significantly from the overall appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I guessed it would i was just checking, i have painted the hubs on mu show car but they havent held up. So i need to get some more Rotors (discs in the UK!) and get them nickel plated?

Post Thanks / Like
    I imagine Nickel would hold up better than paint but how much longer I have no idea. I will say for concours if my rotors (discs) originally had paint on them then I would have used powder coating to match the original color as suggested earlier since powder coating should last as long as plating.

Everything I know so far about Nickel Plate is based on what I`ve read on the internet and heard from plating shops. Seems like it should hold up really well but only time will tell. If the rotors survive one of my twisty mountain excursions (lots of acceleration/braking) and the heat cycles associated with it then it should withstand long term use.

Keep in mind I don`t drive my car in foul weather, do you use your car strictly for shows or everyday commute?
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see pics of the whole car not just the rotors and wheels, please!! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrific idea! This area is usually such an eyesore! :thumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    My 306 show car lives outside ( no garage ) and does about 6K a year . Its not my daily drive and i avoid using it in rain if i can.

Post Thanks / Like
    My routers have like a rust on the "neck" of them...looks really bad and makes the rims look bad
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HellrotCi

I want to see pics of the whole car not just the rotors and wheels, please!! :bounce

I just finished driving the car 200 miles and it`s a mess (at least to me). I`ll only post pictures after I`ve had time to properly detail it this weekend.

Rich,

I think the Electroless Nickel would be a great solution for you, might be worth checking your local platers.

Murph,

That is exactly why I did this, I couldn`t stand looking through my wheels and seeing rust. It was especially annoying after I had detailed the wheel wells, my eyes kept drawing towards the old nasty looking rotors. Now I just need to paint my calipers.
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    MBZ500E, that is a good look.

Boxstercharlie,

Do you have the rust problem on your Boxster? I have never had this problem with the factory rotors from Porsche. They come prepainted and I have never had it rust, chip and/or flake off. However, the BMW rotors on my wifes car are another story. They look like crap all the time. In fact when I went to put the snow tires on this winter I could not remove one of the wheels (it had fused itself to the rotor hub - Long story on how I finally got it off).

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought all new front and rear rotors for my m3 and plan on painting them. I`ll be painting both the hub and cooling veins. I think i`m going to use flat/satin black. I`ll post pics and details when i`m done. I should have them next week, hopefully the weather will be decent so i can paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys get smooth hammerite paint? Great on Calipers.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information