Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy and I both entered our cars in the `95 and newer modified class at the "Good Time Oldies" car show last weekend.

My concern is not about the judging itself, because they were very thorough and we could tell they had done this many times before.

My complaint about their judging was that THEY TOUCHED THE CARS! At one point, one of the judges was LEANING on my fender!

I was furious! Then they went next door to my friend`s car and opened the door and started messing with the interior. They even lifted the console cover!

That`s going too far. They shouldn`t touch the cars.

The judging was done on 4 areas at 25 points each. He got 100 pts, I got 99.

The 4 judged areas were:

1. Exterior

2. Interior

3. Engine bay

4. Wheels, tires, undercarriage

All that was fine and good, but does anyone agree that judges shouldn`t touch the cars?

Maybe I`m the one who`s wrong.

(BTW, we took first and second!):xyxthumbs
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Luster,

Don`t feel bad. I particpated in the 16th Annual Internation Z convention in NH last week. It was a pure concours de elegance show. After the initial judging, my car was rejudged for the gold medallion/cup judging. I observed one of the judges leaning over my car with a lite cigar dropping ashes into the engine bay.

Needless to say I was disgusted over the whole event. So much for "concours de elegance".
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

I observed one of the judges leaning over my car with a lite cigar dropping ashes into the engine bay.

It`s bad enough that you have to watch for kids whose parents let them run out of control, but JUDGES should be the example-setters.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Judges have allways asked me to open the doors, bonnet etc, surely they must have to do the finger in the wheel arch test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichPug306xsi

Judges have allways asked me to open the doors, bonnet etc, surely they must have to do the finger in the wheel arch test?

And I have always been very compliant of that test. Even the "finger behind the wheel spoke" test is no problem at all.

But leaning his fat a** against the car while he fills in his score sheet???? No way.:nono
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve judged several shows and sicne I also detail cars I NEVER lean up against ANY car. i DO touch the car to feel the paint. the other judges normally dont know what I`m doing but that`s the ONLY reason I toch the car is to gauge how smooth the paint feels if they have taken the time to wax it before a show or just wash it.
    If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine. - <b>Ernesto Che Guevara</b>

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a Porsche Club Concours Judge.....some of the golden rules:

1. Never open anything...get the owner to do that

2. Never sit in the car

3. Remove belt buckles, rings etc

You obviously need to "touch" the car to check for dirt and dust, particularly in the engine, door jams, locks, under dash etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Jag club rules specifically forbid judges from touching the cars for any purpose -- can`t even open the doors themselves. I view it as a sign of respect. And when I open the doors for them, I use a MF to touch the door handle. I`m with you, Luster; I would have been incensed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lynn

Jag club rules specifically forbid judges from touching the cars for any purpose .....

So how do they check for dust and dirt?

In PCA we dread the lady judges...they have small fingers that can fit in tiny spaces. We also dread the engine judge with long arms!

As a judge when I find dirt I normally wipe my finger on the contestants score sheet next to the section being judged. That way the contestant can clearly see what they are being deducted for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeepers - it`s not only judges who should know better... I went along to my first Jaguar Club meeting a month or two back - a new model intro at the dealer`s showroom - and observed several members LEANING against a new XK8 and an XJ while they listened to the speaker.

Common courtesy prevented me from waving my arms at them - which I would have done (and more) if they had been leaning against any of my cars.

How do you stop people doing this? Without losing friends or making enemies? Is there a polite way?

I had occasion to move the friend of a buyer of one of my cars a while back. He leant against my Daimler and I gave him a quick wave away, explaining the paint was new.

He didn`t realise he was doing it (duh!) - it was an automatic move.

I thought it might jeopardize the sale, but fortunately it didn`t.

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1992 Miata MX5. Finish detailng, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    :wavey

Luster,

Did you not say anything to the offending judge for fear of receiving points against you? Could it and do these car shows work that way? :shocked

Could it be, that some people have no clue how labor intensive the perfect shine is to attain and how fragile it is?:nono

I would have come unglued:grrr
    Ken

`01 Honda S2000, `04 Mazda 6

The need for speed!!!!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day "concours de elegance" judges wore white cloves and would ask an owner to open doors, bonnet etc.

I attended a car show in TN and a judge was wearing a huge belt buckle and reaching over the fender to look at an engine compartment. It wasn`t mine so I offered him a MF towel to cover the buckle with. He had no idea what he was doing to the paintwork.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just joined after purchasing a Autopia Diamond account. I have been detailing cars since 1970 and have been a Concours judge for 10 years. First rule they teach judges is not to handle any part of the owners automobile, not to lean or sit in the car and to ask the owner to politly open the hood doors and trunk for inspection. I can tell by your experience that these guys who judged your car were new and should not have been leaning on your fener and insulted their job duties in such a sloppy manner.

I can tell you I take pride in judging cars and treat every owner I meet with undue repect and enthusiem. You got out of bed early that morning to bring your car so lets make it a good day for you and everyone out there who is showing up with an automobile.

Sincerely

Bob Geco

Bob Geco`s Auto Appearance Care

Los Angeles, CA:up

Post Thanks / Like
    I am afraid those judges are a `sign of the times`.

People do not take the time to learn how to do a job correctly. It is all about `do it now`, get it now, do it half a**, just do it and move on to the next .......

I think it is time for my medication.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Well as a Porsche Concours Judge I must 100% agree with the comments about belt buckles etc and leaning on fenders. Also judges should not open anything (let the owners do this) and should not sit in the car (or on the sill) while judging.

But this whole notion of "do not touch the car" is a bit much. If the cars were just visually inspected at the events I compete at, you would have 3-4 cars always tying for first place with perfect scores.

Of the 26 deductions I received in 8 events this year, 14 were visual (seen) and 12 were found by the hand. (ie dust deep inside a lock, dust under a wiring loom in the engine bay etc).

Just my 0.02c worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information