Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I also belong to a Nissan Frontier forum and I help out where I can when it comes to detailing over there. Well I just read something that truely suprised me! You can read it here: http://pub175.ezboard.com/ftunfsfrm1...cID=5569.topic

Basically a guy said "I use Meguiers on my vehicles and hadn`t had any problems from lack of protection. Most show vehicles aren`t waxed because they aren`t allowed to get dirty enough to need the protection."

I replied with "I wasn`t going to comment on this but I couldn`t help myself

"Most show vehicles aren`t waxed because they aren`t allowed to get dirty enough to need the protection. "

Yikes! I do not believe I just read that Show cars like mine may not be driven but rely on different waxes to bring out the best possable shine! Waxes can add depth to the paint, "pop" to the color, and they make the finish smooth to the touch. Plus, oils in waxes help hide minor imperfections. It is these properties that make everybody I have ever met on the show circuit wax their pride and joy`s on a regular basis. I would not even consider showing my car or truck for that matter without it being the very best it could be...would you?

Please do not take this as a flame...it really is not ment to be. I was just suprised, thats all."

He then goes on to say "people I know with show vehicle dont wax them. they dont wash them, they dont drive them (except on and off an enclosed trailer). you get your paint depth with clear coat. you get your smoothness with a good paint and body shop. the closest thing to dirt that gets on the vehicle gets dusted off before and after the show."

Now I ask you Autopians, Am I wasting my time waxing my show car to a perfect shine? Or should I just dust them???

:nixweiss
    Brian - 2003 Frontier SC CC LB

My picture page...click here!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at an antique car show at Westbury Gardens after it rained terribly the day and night before and the field was a muddy nightmare. One of the show car owners was so pissed because his car was a muddy mess.

He stated that the car has never been touched by water as long as he has had it, but that he would have no choice but to wash it with all that mud that was kicked up on it.

"Most show vehicles aren`t waxed because they aren`t allowed to get dirty enough to need the protection. " I don`t know that I agree with this statement....Maybe [Some]or [Many] show vehicles aren`t waxed....

[He then goes on to say "people I know with show vehicle dont wax them. they dont wash them, they dont drive them (except on and off an enclosed trailer). you get your paint depth with clear coat. you get your smoothness with a good paint and body shop. the closest thing to dirt that gets on the vehicle gets dusted off before and after the show."]

I agree completely if the car is treated like this...pretty boring thing to do with your car...a lot of the fun is driving it.

I have heard that many show car people use a product like 3M IHG which offers no protection but looks real good...at least they used to do this years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I learn something every day! I will however keep a fresh coat of wax on MY car....even though I never drive it!:up

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s also very true among Street/Hot Rods ...they put on 20-50k worth of paint and clear work it had better outshine a wax ...but to say all ...I doubt it...some do some don`t ....some only use hand glazes and polishes to bring out those great shines...

one guy told me once that the reason he didn`t use any silicone or wax products was because he repaints constantly..his Rod has no fenders and he`s always kicking up a rock or something that will cause him to get deep scratches and then he repaints....he also owns a body shop...

To each their own...factory paint work can not be compared to these finishes...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Garage queens. I show my car and I Zaino it. I drive it almost every day, and frequently drive it several hundred miles to Concours events. Also managed to win the Jag national championship in my class last year. I have this crazy notion that cars are for driving.

Not flaming anybody here. But I run across competitors who keep their car in a garage, trailer it to a show, and they almost cringe at having to drive it out of the trailer and onto the field. I just don`t understand that mentality.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been my experience that most "true" show cars are not waxed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I beg to differ to diff on these points.

For one, I have a show car and it is constantly garage kept. I trailer it to shows. Do I keep wax on it??? Of course !!!!! Who wouldn`t. I feel wax tends to bring out a greater shine.

My car always has a nice coat of S100 or Pinnacle Souveran.

I don`t wash my show car as frequently as others. Since its garage kept, I usually follow a method that David B posted about.

I have a bucket and wipe the car down with a wet MF towel.

[QUOTE]Garage queens. I have this crazy notion that cars are for driving. [QUOTE]

I don`t understand the animosity towards garage or trailer queens. I feel that I am taking extra steps to preserve my car. Trust me, I used to drive my car hundreds of miles to shows and it took a beating. I feel that trailering it to events is just saving on wear and tear of the vehicle and preserving it to some extent.

Its my car and obviously I put tons and money and effort into it. How I care for it is my business.

Rant mode off....
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Pats300zx on this...

And I am still in shock the show cars are not waxed...I just can`t believe it. I always thought a quality wax ADDS to the look of perfectly aplied paint....GUESS NOT!:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we really saying this: That a car just out of the paint booth would not benefit from wax?

I think this is an interesting question, but I don`t believe it. I think a layer of, say S100, on perfect paint would look better than just the paint alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    My car is by no means a show car. It is a daily driver but, I am fanatical about maintaining it both mechanically and cosmetically. I have always been a carnauba guy but, have been interested in trying Zaino so I did a comparison on my hood. The car had just been PC`d with DACP followed by #9 so it was crystal clear. It had also been washed before my test. I applied S100 SEC followed by S100 to part of the hood, a layer of Z5/ZFX and two layers of Z2/ZFX to another part and left another part of the hood bare. I frankly could not tell much of a difference between any of the sections. I would say the Zaino though did look a tad better than the bare paint. I have not had a chance to try the new Zaino yet.

This is by no means a citicism of either product as I love them both. Just my observations

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Forrest at Mothers said they only glaze their show cars. I can`t remember if he elaborated on why or how this is acceptable, but maybe he might read this and chime in?

Hm, here`s a searched thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...laze+show+cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Pats300zx, we may have a different understanding of "garage queen." No doubt that having a garage and a trailer for out-of-town shows is a huge plus, and I just wish I had both. What really gets me -- and was trying to say here

Originally posted by Lynn

I run across competitors who keep their car in a garage, trailer it to a show, and they almost cringe at having to drive it out of the trailer and onto the field.
    is about folks who hate even having to drive their car 50 yards onto the field -- who never enjoy the pleasure of driving their vehicles. I just don`t understand that mentality; it seems more like having a sculpture than a car. But, yeah, you`re right about different strokes. And I think it`s great that you`re able to pamper your baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a freshly glazed car will look better than a glazed and waxed car. I forget where I saw it on here, but there was something about a wax taking away some of the cosmetic abilities of the glaze. So therefore a lot of show cars are just glazed.

Post Thanks / Like
    One guy at a show said he didn`t wax because "wax contains acids"

To each their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who Cares?! I drive mine daily and I show it. It needs wax/sealant to protect the paint.....period. So why should I care at all what some trailer queen owners do ? It doesn`t matter at all what they do. What matters is what will enhance the looks of my truck and help protect the paint.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information