Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miami Rice Show

Post Thanks / Like
    Well im 15 so I am a "Punk Azz Kid" but i dont act like it

Post Thanks / Like
    The movie "The Fast and the Furious" further perverted the import craze. Whatever happened to sleepers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 71chevelle

Well im 15 so I am a "Punk Azz Kid" but i dont act like it

15? wait, how are you driving when most places don`t give liscenses until 16?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

yet another trick from the world of RWD racing... it creates lift under the front of the vehicle, therefore displacing more of the vehicle`s weight onto the back wheels, increasing traction (I think this is how it was explained to me?)

Those little "fins" are used to create downforce. If they wanted to "lift" the front end of the car up they would mount the "fins" tilted upwards..(think about it...physics..or hang your hand outside the window of your car while on the highway...tilt your hand up...see what happens...tilt your hand down..see what happens..) They help the front of the car stick to the road. They are used mostly for road racing (no, not road racing as in using public roads...road racing on a closed curcuit/track). While taking a turn at 100+ MPH it is good to have a lot of downforce...you wouldn`t want to come into a turn...turn your steering wheel...end up getting massive amounts of understeer...and plow nose first, straight off the track because your car kept going staight instead of turning. With more downforce on the front of the vehicle the front tires are being "pressed" against the pavement...therefor giving you better traction. If those "fins" were used to create lift...well, then you would have some pretty big problems...

Now..as to why they are on a non-racecar...well..you got me stumped... :nixweiss
    -Impolex

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dr.Jones too but I personally don`t like BIG stickers and aluminum wings on a stock looking car. Some people have crazy body kits but if its a clean looking car then I respect that. It`s not my taste though but it`s always nice to see other peoples ideas etc. I am more into the JDM look.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is all a matter of taste, there are plenty of mainstream American and European cars which I believe are look terrible.

There is a very long history of reflecting race car looks on road cars. Many aerodynamic parts on mass produced cars are there for style not performance. There is also a long history of custom paint jobs, so why are these `ricers` so very different.

If these people wish to express themselves whats wrong with that? Some do a first class job whilst others make a very poor effort. For example, how many modified Fords (good & bad) have you seen without thinking all Ford drivers are idiots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Impolex

Those little "fins" are used to create downforce. If they wanted to "lift" the front end of the car up they would mount the "fins" tilted upwards..(think about it...physics..or hang your hand outside the window of your car while on the highway...tilt your hand up...see what happens...tilt your hand down..see what happens..) They help the front of the car stick to the road. They are used mostly for road racing (no, not road racing as in using public roads...road racing on a closed curcuit/track). While taking a turn at 100+ MPH it is good to have a lot of downforce...you wouldn`t want to come into a turn...turn your steering wheel...end up getting massive amounts of understeer...and plow nose first, straight off the track because your car kept going staight instead of turning. With more downforce on the front of the vehicle the front tires are being "pressed" against the pavement...therefor giving you better traction. If those "fins" were used to create lift...well, then you would have some pretty big problems...

Now..as to why they are on a non-racecar...well..you got me stumped... :nixweiss

This is pretty accurate, except one point that always makes me laugh is - if you use those, they need to be attached at a structural hardpoint - most of these guys just bolt them to a fiberglass bumper, which will flex, defeating the whole purpose of them.

So they have what COULD be a performance mod, but insead they nullify any use it might have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most street cars will not under normal driving conditions reach speeds where these devices become effective, they mealy echo race car designs. Style over function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information