Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, do folk add a layer of wax on the day of a show? It seems to me that wax always looks better the day after I apply it, but maybe old age and poor eyes are deceiving me.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

Just a thought, do folk add a layer of wax on the day of a show? It seems to me that wax always looks better the day after I apply it, but maybe old age and poor eyes are deceiving me.

Steven

I think it depends on the type of "show". For the Porsche Concours events they are judging preparation and cleanliness. There is no subjective rating for the shine of the car. Its either clean and shiny or its not.

For me waxing the day of the event is just way too dangerous. A spec of wax residue on the edge of a panel and I`m history.

As careful as I am, I still find some wax residue on a panel edge the next 1 -2 washes after waxing. So my rule is, I need to wash the car at least once after waxing.

Plus I would not have time to wax the car on the day of the event. Assuming you drive to the event (not trailer), there is a mountain of work to perform on the car once you get there. In the Porsche events you get about 2 - 2.5 hours between car placement and judging. This is the most important preparation time. I have a checklist that takes me over 4 hours to perform. With help of one of my kids, I normally can get it just done in 2 hrs.

I see posts from time to time where people say they wax their cars on the day of the event...even at the show. All I can guess from that, is the judging is more subjective on the overall look of the car and way less anal on cleanliness.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always add on a layer of glaze before a show. Wax is just for protection, its the glaze that gives the shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never wax the day of the show. I agree with JB there is too much risk of wax residue and missing it. Since I do concours events also I am always concerned about point deductions.

I feel there is too much prep to be done with the car at the show getting it ready for the judges. If you waxed the week of the show as part of your prep, you should be good to finish the car of with a good QD once you are placed.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely NOT! All that stuff should be done ahead of time. Day of show = a QD and little details that have to be done onsite, like last-minute glass cleaning, wipe down the interior, roll the carpets with a lint roller, etc, etc, etc. Also, last-minute check on the engine bay for any little leaks or new dirty spots. I had a heckuva surprise the morning of my last concours: opened the bonnet, and discovered the radiator had spewed some antifreeze on the underside of the bonnet, sides of the engine compartment, etc. Leave yourself time to deal with such unexpected issues. :up (By the way, I actually owe these words of wisdom to the Sage of Concours, Brad B, who offered it to me as I was heading to the Indy Jag concours. Thanks again, Brad!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I obviously agree with Pat and Lynn!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Thread Information