Concours d’élégance

[: French meaning a competition of elegance]

They date back to 17th Century French aristocracy, who paraded horse-drawn carriages in the parks of Paris during summer weekends and holidays.

Over time, carriages became horseless and the gatherings became a competition among automobile owners to be judged on the appearance of their automobiles. These commonly are held at automobile shows or after racing competitions.

Notable Concours d’élégance includes Pebble Beach Concours d’élégance, Meadow Brook Concours d’élégance, Amelia Island Concours d’élégance, and Louis Vuitton Classic in midtown Manhattan Concours exist for motorcycles as well.

Numerous local organizations sponsor `Concours` events; i.e. PCA Concours , traditionally vehicle judging at a Concours d’élégance is much more demanding than that of a neighbourhood or general automobile show.

Trained judges examine the vehicle thoroughly and in its entirety. They rate each and every component. Only those vehicles that are judged perfectly original (or very nearly so) in every way, are considered eligible for trophy class.

The original concept behind Concours d’élégance in most instances is about the vehicles originality The judges are assessing the vehicle for authenticity, correct restoration, and historic significance; .so it wouldn`t have anything to do with the wax, it would have nothing to do with the paint finish, or what was used to polish or protect it. But most owners who own and show Concours d’élégance vehicle also take pride in how they look and would naturally want their paint etc to be protected against the elements. I know when I used to enter cars I’d always present them to look the best I could, did it win BOS because of its shine, doubtful but I think it had something to do with the overall marks, I know later on as a judge I took it into account when awarding a score

Often the competitiveness of a Concours d’élégance forces restoration of a vehicle to surpass `mint` condition, which would be the state of the vehicle when it originally left the factory. Concours-quality cars often are given upholstery, paint, chrome (or nickel) plating, and mechanical restoration far exceeding that of the car when new.

Concours d’élégance competitions also are run for classic cars. Here, the emphasis is as much on originality as the condition, although this also is very important.

Events

(March) Amelia Concours d`Elegance, Fl - Amelia Concours D`Elegance

(March) 9th Annual Festivals of Speed St. Petersburg, Fl - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...5001964868630/

(June ) Concours d’Elegance of the Eastern US-http://www.concourseast.org/

(July) Concours d’élégance of America at St. Johns - Home

(August) Pebble Beach Concours d`Elegance - Pebble Beach Concours d`Elegance : Welcome

(October) Lake Mirror Classic - Lake Mirror Classic

(November) Hilton Head Island Concours d’élégance - The Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d`Elegance | Concours d`Elegance