Post Thanks / Like
    I have become very interested in concours,after competing in an event last year with my late Fathers Mercedes.

I would like to hear from Concours Verterans,about any `special` techniques/tips that you

have developed over the years.

We all know that every car has good and bad points,(maybe more bad than good in my case:nervous2: so how do you go about preparing,and presenting a car to emphasize the good,and draw attention away from the bad;what have you learnt,and how?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like to know. I know the process for a concours detail can take 3 days to a over a week.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    As i suspected, like trying to get blood out of a stone:chuckle: :secret

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Link...Thanks Zane
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    Know your automobile , what is correct for your year the car must be showen as it left the assembly line with the same options ,color and equipment. Do not think you can fool a judge alot of them including my self are savy and can desiffer a vin code number and know how the automobie is suppose to look.

Lay out any tools kits in the trunk and any owners manuals and proof of options if they seem unusual or special.

Extra clean or orginal paint are noticed by the judges so is over spray and ill fitted molding and body gaps.

Ask for a copy of the rules and criteria to which your car will be judged upon. If

it is a converible the top must be up in the closed position along with alll windows. You can lower the top later after the car has been judged. Sometimes trunks and chassies are not judged but it help to have these areas clean and the undersite washed and cleaned as best as possible.

Some concours go by the 100 point sheet others like the Porsche club and Mercedes- benz club break down areas to the 300 point system.

What ever they might be you have the right to request from the head judge information about points marked off so you can correct them for later shows. Most of all have fun.

For more information on Concours preperation contact the Antique automobile club of America for their rule book and you will see the simularies to other Concours rules and judging criteria is adopoted from AAA. The biggest effort is the cleaning of the entire automobile so count on a Week at lease to prepare a car starting with a good wash of the undercarage and de cosmolining the under side and engine. Wheel wells inside wheels the list inever stops. But you have to Wow the judges in the first few minutes to get their attention to give your car a fare look over. Most judges can spot a 10 footer from a mile awayand give those car the lease attention which means they made up their mine who is going to receive 1st,2& 3 in class or best of show.

Bob Geco

Concours judge

Post Thanks / Like
    As a former (when time allowed) participant and concours judge (Porsche), it is to your advantage to obtain a score or judging sheet used in a previous event and use that as a guide for preparation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise 85
    As i suspected, like trying to get blood out of a stone:chuckle: :secret

The link posted by ZaneO is mine. The idea behind the documents was to share the tips and secrets so all could compete. Feel free to ask any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bluecls
    I would also like to know. I know the process for a concours detail can take 3 days to a over a week.

My current car (which I do not show) is in quite good condition

...but it would take 2 solid weeks to get it right. 3 weeks if I had to do the under carriage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice garage!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to have my car fully prepared a whole week before the show,basicly whatever the show date imagine its 7 days before,you wouldnt believe the amount of times this has saved me hartache.

Become an `expert` on the marque you are showing, as Bob G said,know what is a correct part for your make and Year of car,you can bet any Judge worth his salt will know,and if it comes to a tie,correct finishes might be what it comes down to,the Judge will more than likely be just as enthusistic about your make of car as you are,if you show your`ve taken the time to get your car as original as possible it will go in your favour,personaly when Judging,orignality (or original type finishes) has a big sway with me, as much as cleanliness.

Be critical on your own car,look at parts which are not upto the same standard as the rest of the car and replace them.Get someone else to look at the car and give you feed back on anything they notice,Mrs.Concours does this for me and although she is in no way a car `person` she knows what she likes and if something looks `right` or `wrong`.

Get the correct era battery (at least one that looks like it) for your car.

Look around at the other competitors cars,take your camera,I ALWAYS ask if I can take photos first,this more often than not leads to a conversation,ask them what the hardest thing to get right was,what the wish they had done differently,what was hard to get hold of,ect,ect.Always nice to ask a name to if there in the same club.

When the Judge comes over I normally just open her up and stay out of their way,speaking from experiance,you basicly just want to narrow the field down to the top cars and not really `chat` but if someone was clearly a newbie I would take time to answer questions if possible,would have a better talk if I came back for a second look which is usually a good sign if a judge does this!This would be a good to to relate how long/hard it was to get the correct original finish on an unusual part ect,possibly ask them what the drive themselves.

Always found the little folding camping chairs really useful and a picknick is always nice.

Bring your own water,for washing the car,in a large spring water bottle,as you can` always get water on site.Collapsablr buckets save space.

I you can find a garage with a jet wash close to the event make use of it.

Bring family or a good mate along to help you,sometime they will bring a car along with you gear to`support` you.Let then do what they like to do detailing wise.

If the event is miles away,it might be worth traveling up the day before to give yourself enough time,DO make sure the car has security like a steering bar/lockif your going to leave it somewhere unfimilar,might be worth tipping the conciage to keep an eye on it.

Have `show` mats and everyday mats.treat them with 3M scotchgaurd when new.

I like to use a high(ish) shine on the inside of the tyres (AA,AG rubber and Vynil)and low shine (PB B& on the outside.

QD the car at the show DONT use a polish/wax as you are bound to miss somewhere with the time pressure.

Remove all the door/boot (trunk) rubbers and clean behind them,clean rubbers and refit.

I can recommend Mike Antonicks book `Secrets of Corvette Detailing(second edition) ISBN:0-933534-44-2 publisher Michael Bruce Associates inc, although obviously about Corvettes it gives a good overview on showing cars,some recommended products are a lttlie out of date (thanks Autopia!)but overall it gives a good foundation if you want to get `into` concours,I think its still in print,you could try ebay PM me if you have trouble locating a copy.

JB; Nice to see you back again-Missed You!

What is concours the scene like in AUS?I was over in Perth WA last December and saw very few Porsches out there,unbeliveably swirly `normal` cars to. :shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Concours
    JB; Nice to see you back again-Missed You!

What is concours the scene like in AUS?I was over in Perth WA last December and saw very few Porsches out there,unbeliveably swirly `normal` cars to. :shocked

I`m retired from Concours these days. :nomore: I`m enjoying driving the car :woot2: and not having to worry about every spec of dust and dirt. While in Southern California I could do 10 concours events a year all with in 2-3 hrs drive. Here its just one Porsche event a year in Sydney and I`m yet to make an appearence..........WA is a long long long trip!

Maybe I`ll do the Porsche Club concours in 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been showing older Chrysler products for more than 15 years. My current car is an AACA Grand National First Prize Winner, National Chrysler Products Club Prestige Car, etc. I have been very fortunate with this car, especially considering it is not a flashy musclecar or the like. But, it’s an old family heirloom that means a lot to me.

Since the poster does not list the type of vehicle they are planning to show, it’s tough to give pertinent info, but I’ll try.

First, it also depends on whether you are going to an judged show or popular vote. At popular vote, anything goes, and I would not spend days prepping for that. You see, all you need is a club to show up and block voteâ€or have your perfect tan sedan in the same class as a ratty convertibleâ€you get the idea.

When doing “marque†specific shows, or older car meetsâ€originality is the king. You want to make sure that every clamp, belt, etc is what they used at the factory. For example, lots of folks show their older Chrysler with Mopar stamped belts, hoses, coils, etc. The only item that came from the factory with Mopar markings was the battery. Everything else had a part number, date code and vendor code. Factory replacement parts are marked Mopar. Using a modern battery on an older car is also incorrect.

For late model cars at open shows, it’s all about clean. While that sounds very simple, it’s also very true. Clean the pebbles from the pedal pads, wipe out the inside of the exhaust tips, etc. These are the little things that make a difference. And, don’t forget underneath.

As the Head Judge for the NCPC, I also can tell you all some things to avoid. Shiney dressings on tires, leather, interior. It does not look original and while it may not be cause for a deductionâ€it could be a tie breaker.

Some tips. Avoid lots of display stuff in and around your car. All kinds of stuffed animals and the like only cause a judge to wonder what you are hiding.

Remove floor mats to so that the carpet can be seen.

Convertible tops should be up, as should the windows.

Stereo should be off and left off. You may have spent a small fortune on it, but it annoys other participants and judges.

As far as secret products go? The only one I have is Aero-Kroil. It`s a penetrating oil that I have found to be safe on paint. If you have a rough spot in your paint, or a dull spot on something that is rough...it puts a bit of shine on and hides the area. I learned about it years ago when I had a car with some dry paint in the corners under the hood. I also have used the old school rubbing compound on exhaust pipe and mufflers (aluminized) to make then nice a clean. Of course, a good assortment of foam brushes helps too.

Thread Information