Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I`d post these pictures up for y`all to enjoy during lunch time. These fotos are from a few weekends ago (Larz Anderson, MoT in Brookline MA) at Germancarfest XX.

These unique conversion was prepared by Bob Hatch who is very well-known to MBz enthusiasts here in the Boston area. I believe this car is for sale. The detail work was quite extraordinary and these fotos don`t really do it justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that really *is* a nice piece!

I notice it still has the reverse-pattern gearshift, wonder which transmission they used with the V8 swap

Yeah, Hatch & Sons does great work...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that shift pattern design was standard as pictured. My father had a auto 1971 car and I recall it looked exactly like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I own that car in cameo yellow!!!!! I love it....... I need mine detailed and looking somewhat like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    I think that shift pattern design was standard as pictured. My father had a auto 1971 car and I recall it looked exactly like that.

Gee, I`m just *too* foggy on this stuff; I knew the sixes had that reverse pattern but I didn`t know about the V8s. For the life of me I can`t remember which pattern the 6.3 had :nixweiss but I *thought* it was the "regular" one. I know the next-gen SLs (W..uh..W???..W107 maybe? Sheesh I`m getting old) with the 3.5/4.5 V8s had the regular one....

hambone575- Lucky you! What a great car to have. I *bet* you love it :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I detailed that *EXACT* year and model Benz, color too.

I recently saw the car at the owner`s office sitting under a tree, not driven for the past few months. It is covered in this algae-slime.

He is getting his garage re-done so his classic is sitting out in the elements in a parking lot. Go figure.

That`s a pretty sweet car! My friend has a baby blue 1978 Jaguar with a Chevy 350 crate motor that was swapped in.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    My friend has a baby blue 1978 Jaguar with a Chevy 350 crate motor that was swapped in.

The Jag-nut in me wants to say "sacrilege" but the practical guy in me (who once did that swap) is telling the Jag-nut to shove it

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hatch & Sons does top notch Mercedes work. They used to have a dealership on Rt. 20 in Wayland, but I think it got bought by Chambers Motor Cars and is now a Land Rover dealership.

That car really does look amazing though!! Wasn`t German car day at the MOT on Father`s day? It usually is and that`s why I can`t go. I also missed Italian Car Day this year as I was out of town for a wedding. Maybe you were at Mercedes Benz day. I think that`s typically in August or September.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those guys do some real top shelf restoration work. That car is amazing !!! I regularly detail both a 1969 280 SL and another 230 SL (same owner) and although the 280 is in similar condition, the color of that one makes it so much more appealing (his is silver/black) !!! Did you know the asking price? I would believe about $32-$37k.

Great pics BTW, and thanks for sharing !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean
    Did you know the asking price? I would believe about $32-$37k.

Great pics BTW, and thanks for sharing !!!

Thanks.

No, but I`d suspect it`s far north of the price you mention. A friend bought a stock 1970 280SL from him 7 years ago and it was more than the price you mention - - it was very nice, lo miles. He does big $$$ cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too far north from that number. The market for these Pogoda roof SL`s is still somewhat soft. Unrestored super low mile 280 SL (under 20k) top out in the low-mid $40k range. I have yet to see a 280 SL crack $50k, but I would not be surprised if it happens often at Barrett Jackson.

My guestimate was based on the milage.

I wish I had the dough and the space to buy one of these for myself while they are still relative bargains.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Pagodas from the Benz Classic Center *start* mighty high...the one I read about recently (280 SL, no hard top) wasn`t perfect and it was priced in the mid-70s!

I sometimes call and price stuff that they have at Hatch & Sons, and their cars usually seem reasonable, at least for their level of work; they had a 6.3 that was a relative bargain at low-30s for a *very* nice driver that could be shown in driven class with a good chance of winning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.

yeah its standard. There was a 69 benz 300 sel with the 6.3 that i was interested in buying (gorgeous white) and the shift pattern was like that. its pretty trick

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Here was a 1970 300 SEL I sold earlier this year. It was a complete frame off in 1989 and driven less than 10k since that time. Car was very nice, and the air bags were at 100%. I currently have a 1971 300 SEL 4.5, but she is undergoing some TLC and she is basically diassembled.

Neverless it had 100k miles on it and I was happy to get near $20k for it.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean Dean- Even for "only a 3.5" that appears to have been a lot of car for the money. With stuff like the suspension done and the undercarriage presumably nice, the tough stuff shouldn`t be a problem for quite a while. Lots of good times for the new owner. You didn`t sell it to a guy named "Lenny" did you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information