Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: synthetic oil

Post Thanks / Like

synthetic oil

Anyone using it?

I had a customer today who only uses synthetic oil and he says its much better for the longevity of engines .

I want to keep my van as long as it will last ! My lease is coming to an end in a few months and I plan on buying it.

Any opinions on this?

I have a 2010 Toyota if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: synthetic oil

DC I know alot of folks using synthetic oil and they all never had any problems with their engine`s at all. My wife`s 2003 Toyota has 120000 miles and doesn`t use synthetic oil, engine is fine but everything else fell apart on the car.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I am using a synthetic oil for my Acura now. I have nearly 120,000 miles on it now and am trying to do preventative maintenance to make sure it last me another 100,000 miles.

My wife`s VW calls for a special full synthetic oil in its maintenance book. And man is that stuff expensive. Doing the oil change myself still costs just over $60. The dealer charges $75... I wish I would have known this before we bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using synthetic oils in my vehicles for nearly 25 years. Many performance cars like the Chevrolet Corvette come standard with synthetic oils.

I use both Royal Purple and Mobil 1 synthetics.....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

worth the investment. first oil change in the jeep, i switched to full synthetic.

http://www.jdpower.com/content/detai...aArticleId=208
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, you only need synthetic if the engine requires it (look in your car manual). While there is nothing wrong with switching to synthetic oil, it is more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

i use it in both my ford f150 and my harley. no problems. i do my own maintenance and want to go that extra mile and will go with synthetic every 3000. using a good oil filter makes a big difference too. if the price curve is too much, go with a semi-synthetic blend oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: synthetic oil

I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles mainly because I can get it cheap at Walmart and I do my own oil changes to keep the cost down (and I don`t trust most `shops`). I also like to fill the filters before I install them so there isn`t a little `dry` start and the oil pressure comes up faster. In Minnesota, we have winter temps down to -20* and it can hit 100* or more in the summer so I like to use good products. For filters, I will use Purolator Pure One, Mobil 1, or K&N. By doing it myself, I have about $30-32 into each oil change and will change the oil and filter between 3000 and 4000 miles depending on when I can get it done. (I shoot for 3k and make sure to get it done by 4k. Usually, it is less than 3500 miles)

My 2000 Regal GS has 210k miles on it and still runs great. My 1995 Impala SS has 194k miles on it and still runs great and even gets a severe workout on the road course which is pretty stressful on the engine (130+ mph and a lot of time at high RPM`s). Our Silverado has 100k on it and also runs great. We drive a lot and keep our vehicles for a long time, so I will pay a little more for higher quality car care products.

Synthetic is probably overkill, but I don`t mind paying a little for peace of mind. My old truck went to 325k (or more after I sold it and lost track of it) and that was with crappy filters and regular name brand oils, but at religious 3k intervals. I think regular intervals with any oil is probably more important than which oil you use.

OCD isn`t just for detailing......

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    I use synthetic in my Trans Am but that`s the only car I use synthetic in. If you drive in extreme conditions (temperature, heavy traffic, etc.) than I think it really helps protect the engine. Otherwise I think regular oil works just fine for protection as long as you change it regularly. Even regular oil is fine in extreme conditions as long as you change it frequently

I use synthetic in my Trans Am because I used to drag race and it became habit. Now I rarely drive it and I like going much longer between oil changes.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be advantageous but how advantageous is tough to prove in some instances. If you go 5,000 miles or less between oil changes I see no advantage. If you plan on extended oil changes such as 7500-10,000 miles or once annually then there would be an advantage. If going for long term you MUST remember to check the oil level and top off if required, you can`t just forget about it. Toyota has some excellent synthetic oils made to their specifications by Exxon/Mobil. They are available at the dealership but they`re not cheap, nor is any for that matter. I`d say the best value is Mobil 1 in the five quart jug at WalMart.

Although I`m a synth oil fanboy I use regular oil. Why? The Toyota Extended Warranty requires the same oil change interval as the original warranty. In my case that is every six months/5000 miles. I may have only put 200 miles on during that time but to maintain warranty the perfectly good oil has to go. Synthetic makes zero sense in my case.

Assuming your van is still in warranty you MUST follow Toyota`s oil change intervals in the owner`s manual regardless of oil type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I`ve been using synthetic oils in my vehicles for nearly 25 years. Many performance cars like the Chevrolet Corvette come standard with synthetic oils.

I use both Royal Purple and Mobil 1 synthetics.....
    Same here, 3000 mile intervals on the engine.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t let my car go more then 2,500-3,000 miles between oil changes, so no, I don`t use synthetic

Post Thanks / Like

Turbocharged direct injection engine that sees the best used oil analysis` from Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra 5w40. Rotella T6 is far cheaper and can be found locally at WalMart so that`s what I get.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its worth it, My 2001 Acura has 180k miles and I only use Amsoil oil in it. As soon as my new Acura was due for a change I filled it with Amsoil too.

CA.detailchick. Check out Amsoil and my 2001 Acura gets a change ever 12,000miles or once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m loyal to mobil 1 for like 8 years now. I have no way to prove its superior to conventional motor oil but I am of the belief that its better. So I spend the extra money when its oil change time.
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information