Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: synthetic oil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: synthetic oil

BMW has switched to Pennzoil and my car calls for a 15k mile oil change which makes me nervous. It takes 7.5 quarts to fill so it makes me feel a little better, but I wonder about the oil filter keeping up with the oil. I think I will start changing my oil every 7.5k miles just to make myself feel better. But you would think BMW would know what was good for their cars.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some on BITOG change out the filter @ 7500 and run it to 15k. They would say you cant make an informed decision with out a UOA (used oil analysis).

The engine in my dodge calls for a 0/40 stynthetic and supposedly, last I checked, only the penz plat had the correct qualifications, although im using mobil. In a heavy truck I go 7500 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    BMW has switched to Pennzoil and my car calls for a 15k mile oil change which makes me nervous... But you would think BMW would know what was good for their cars.
    As long as a vehicle makes it through the warranty period, cynical-ol`-me can imagine them not caring about the long-term (or even being, uhm....worse about it; dead out-of-warranty used car = less competition at the showroom). I mean..Audi simply doesn`t stock replacement parts for mine, they`ve utterly abandoned a guy who owns three of their Flagship cars, two bought new, and the other one`s original owner sold it (to me) in part for the same reason.

Auto companies can be pretty nasty towards even their best customers. (Lincoln owners can`t get *headlights* despite rules on the book requiring them to be available. I can`t either, for the `93 Audi. If it goes to court they`ll just pay the fine and say "sorry...".)

Quote Originally Posted by JBM
    Some on BITOG change out the filter @ 7500 and run it to 15k...

That`s what my Audi dealer suggested I do when they quit making oil filters for my `93. (I bought out the Audi dealer network`s stock and there`s a Wix that`ll fit if it comes to that.)

..They would say you cant make an informed decision with out a UOA (used oil analysis).

I agree with that and am gonna get around to it some day...at least on the vehicles where it might possibly matter. IMO people who hold, uhm....firmly held opinions...about the subject oughta get that UOA done before they get too set in their position on the subject.

Do people really keep vehicles long enough for it to matter? I mean, some of us here have our babies that we`ll never part with, but most folks I know replace `em every few years.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information