Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: synthetic oil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: synthetic oil

Another Mobile 1 user here for most of our vehicles save for my old truck. The only other synthetics I`d consider are Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum.
    Mobile does make a version of Mobile 1 specifically for high mileage/older engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
    Mobile does make a version of Mobile 1 specifically for high mileage/older engines.
    Oh here we go...Mobil makes a version of Mobil 1 for everything. They have the 0W "economy", the regular, the extended performance, the high mileage...and at Wal-Mart at least, they are all the SAME PRICE. What does that tell me? That most of the difference is in the label. Why on earth would anyone buy regular 5W-30 when you can get the extended performance 5W-30 for the same price? Why would Mobil and/or Wal-Mart sell them at the same price if the extended performance has higher performance and presumably costs more to make? Even if they cost the same, why don`t Mobil/Wal-Mart sell EP for more because you are getting more performance? If it doesn`t cost more to make, why do they even make the "regular"?

Mobil has been all marketing BS ever since they lost the "synthetic" suit to Castrol. What oil do I use? Mobil 1 (for the reasons Swanic stated). It`s just really hard to parse the marketing BS anymore (when they first came out with the EP oil it didn`t meet the then-current API spec because it had too high levels of that anti-wear additive, and it had "extended performance" over the regular which met the API spec. That was a couple revisions ago and now they both meet the current SN spec.)

Oh, and the "high mileage", what would be different about that oil? Back in the day when most cars used 10W-40 oil, a "high mileage" oil was 20W-50. I`m sure some of you are going to argue that a high-mileage oil has special additives in it to revitalize the engine seals...huh? Like there aren`t a zillion kinds of seals in a zillion kinds of cars you could put that oil in. Or maybe you guys think you can fix your blown trans with a can of crap from the auto store.

Ok, I`m going back to chasing people off my lawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. $18 off. Total bill is $86.36. Still the cheapest around here. And they rotate tires for free. Never had a problem with them. The xterra takes 5.5 quarts. I usually run 7-7.5 K miles between changes.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I swapped Mobil 1 for Liqui Moly. No regrets.

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby gets Amsoil Oil, tranny and gear fluid. The 2 Hemi`s in the Charger and Durango get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. All 3 get K&N filters.

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

My modded mustang gets amsoil for eng, manual and gears. Daily gets valvoline max life.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh....if I were gonna care about this as much as some of you, my first step would be a Used Oil Analysis. Absent that, IMO, it`s all just guesswork and feel-good subjectivism.

Daily drivers, Hi-po toys, low/high mileage...never had any lubrication-related issues with any vehicle despite my simple-as-can-be approach to it. Well, OK...I do read about UOI results for some of my engines and use the data when making decisions, but only when it convinces me that I`m overkilling the issue in a huge way (e.g., Ford modular engines do fine with looong OCI and most any oil).

Post Thanks / Like

People can`t just pick a brand or a type. The rating and the additive packages are very important. I like Mobil 1. It is a good oil. But when I was running full synthetic Mobil 1 in my Cobra... bye bye camshaft. Yes, the demise of the cam was professionally confirmed in multiple ways. Not enough ZDDP (basically zinc) for a flat tappet cam. None of their synthetics had enough and I did not want to go to dyno oil so went to Shell Rotella T. New cam shaft later no more issues. My BMW gets Mobil 1 0W-40 LL01. Last OCI was 16,200 miles and the UOA was perfect (including the TBN) and they said I could have easily gone longer. Been using it in the car since day one and has 160,000 trouble free miles on it. The high mileage oils DO make a difference. Weather you notice or not depends but have spent enough time talking to oil engineers (chemist?) that I am convinced. When there is an appropriate option I use them. My sons Escape and my wifes recently off 100,000 mile warranty will be getting them. Filters.... for the BMW they are always OEM. For the other cars I prefer Purilator Pure 1.

Post Thanks / Like

rdorman- hey, that`s something, the Cobra eating its cams! Were those the OE camshafts or aftermarket?

Glad to hear you`re using a sensible OCI on the BMW and having UOA done, that`s going about it right.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a 1965 AC Cobra Replica built by Unique (they didn`t build the motor). It had a big valve 351 Cleveland in and the cam was from Crane. Two lobes and lifters where toast. Put three times the miles on it with the new cam (also from Crane) but running the `correct` oil. The demise of the cam was confirmed Crane, the engine builder and Blackstone. Great oil, just the wrong one!

Blackstone said to try 18,000 next time on the oil and filter combo I use in the BMW. I tend to start thinking about it around 15k or when the OCI light comes on. To this day the car does not use any oil never once had to top it off with that interval.

Tons of really great oils out there folks, just make sure they have the appropriate rating and are in the weight ball park.

Post Thanks / Like

Amsoil now makes a 5W50 specifically for the Stang and it meets/exceeds Ford spec.

AMSOIL SAE 5W-50 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

rdorman- Thanks for explaining, I was worried that it was a Modular engine in a newer (Mustang) Cobra. Great that you`re putting so many miles on that car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh....if I were gonna care about this as much as some of you, my first step would be a Used Oil Analysis. Absent that, IMO, it`s all just guesswork and feel-good subjectivism.
    Even with analysis, there`s still guesswork involved. I get Blackstone reports on all my cars and motorcycles, every other oil change roughly, on my DD, every oil change. It is what I read in those reports, and my desire to use an approved oil with a 5W-40 weight rather than 0W, that made me switch to Liqui Moly from Mobil 1. But yeah, swapping brands willy nilly has no value. Just wanted to get my 2c in there, lest I be judged by the Accumulator.

Post Thanks / Like

BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) is probably one of the best resources i`ve come across on oil.

With that said you really can`t go wrong with any big name brand oil (Mobil 1, Pennz, Quaker State, Castrol etc.)

Its just knowing what weight to use for the average consumer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous View Post
    Amsoil now makes a 5W50 specifically for the Stang and it meets/exceeds Ford spec.

AMSOIL SAE 5W-50 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
    If this is in reply to my Cobra, it wasn`t a Stang!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information