Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: synthetic oil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: synthetic oil

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post

It depends on the oil your using, but I know Toyota says with their synthetic you can go 10,000 between changes instead of the recommended 5,000.

Yours being a newer vehicle I would be surprised if you really needed to change yours at every 3,000.

When I switched to full synthetic years ago I extended my oil change intervals from the traditional 3,000 to between 6,000 & 7,000 miles. Even at the this mileage the used oil is still a brownish rather than black....

Changing with less mileage is really is somewhat extravagant....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

When I switched to full synthetic years ago I extended my oil change intervals from the traditional 3,000 to between 6,000 & 7,000 miles. Even at the this mileage the used oil is still a brownish rather than black....

Awesome Bobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Re changing over from non-synthetic to synthetic: According to my sources, this can present problems such as creating leaks where there were none.
    True but only under certain conditions......for instance a very high mileage engine that has been neglected as to proper oil change intervals has a potential for leaks. The crud that has formed around seals & gaskets would be removed or lessened over time with synthetic (superior cleaning) and the possibility for a leak exists. It was the crud itself that was keeping the seal(s) from leaking. It is extremely rare for this to happen and is not the norm as it once was in the very early life of synthetic oils as a whole.

Another thing I thought I`d mention is that you CAN switch back & forth from synthetic to standard oil or mix the two if you wish. A lingering myth, and totally false, is that once synth is used you must continue with it.

Bobistheoilguy member #407

Post Thanks / Like

True , it s not the synth oil that does that , it s some issue that s already there in the motor that causes that . I you put dino oil back in there , which is more dense , you ll mostly not have leaks , but wont repair leaking seals , gaskets & so on .

But it can go on & on & on on this debate .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
    . I you put dino oil back in there , which is more dense , you ll mostly not have leaks , but wont repair leaking seals , gaskets & so on .

But it can go on & on & on on this debate .
    Oh really? Hmmm... Then would one conclude that it isn`t the relative weight or viscosity of the oil but whether or not the oil is synthetic or petroleum based? Thinking that`s not really what you meant to say.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Most synth oils have cleaning agents also in there , which also contribute to leakings in there , I knew it was coming along . lol

Post Thanks / Like

Most synth oils have cleaning agents also in there , which also contribute to leakings in there , I knew it was coming along . lol
    I`ll buy that, though some Dyno oils (i.e. Castrol for instance) have significant amounts of detergents as well. There is not necessarily a direct correlation between viscosity and lubricity when comparing these two groups of oils .
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

True man , it can be lots of stuff right ! if one s believes are setted in , one can t change them right ! each his own I guess .

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing , synth oils are more slick , which doesn t help either for leaks right .

Where I worked as an over the road truck driver on big trucks my boss was using synth lubes on everything except the engines because they took too much oil between oil changes , lost oil , should ve have piston rings swapped & way too expensive on 300 to 500k miles big trucks , it s why because he would ve put in synth oils in them , of which in these particular cases , was rings issues .

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing , synth oils are more slick , which doesn t help either for leaks right .
    Now you`re speaking my language. The "more slick" you mention is the "lubricity" of which I spoke. I`m not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you could have a lighter weight Dyno oil and it could very likely still be "less slick" than a synthetic oil of a higher viscosity. It`s akin to saying that because water is thinner than a quart of 5W-30 it should lubricate better. My point was simply there is no direct correlation between the two when comparing between types of oil.

Oil consumption (oil getting past the rings) is one of the biggest complaints people have when putting a synthetic oil in an older engine. Often times the oil they`re losing is both going out the tail pipe and right by the seals. No question in my mind that under the right circumstances changing to a synthetic is not in the car or its owner`s best interests. On the other had introducing a synthetic after initial break in may well prevent wear from taking place. Therefore the tolerances stay tighter longer and it doesn`t become that leaker/burner I just mentioned.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Well , that s true , it s all going back to what I said that it s not the synth oil s fault if their s a leak somehow , ( due to leaky rings & so on ) which was my point earlier . We re getting there I guess LOL .

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used synthetic in both vehicles. My old 4 cylinder Frontier had some valve tick (all normal on those engines from reading) and using synthetic really quieted it down. I will note on very cold mornings above a certain RPM it would rattle a bit more until warmed up. Didn`t do that with dino, but ran fine when I traded it in. Run Mobil 1 in my current trucks VQ40 and notice no difference, really. I just like the extended oil change intervals.

The Equinox is a whole different animal. Probably going to switch back to regular dino. Since switching it had a very noticeable lifter tap after switching to synthetic. Done 2 changes with synthetic and while it`s not as bad as the first time I put it in there, it`s odd. I suspect it wasn`t taken care of by the previous owner.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

I think with all the mumbo-jumbo, opinions of friends, neighbors, and the kid behind the cars register at the local food mart; if you`re using synthetic oil and it`s performing well for "you" then why change anything....

1. If it`s working stay with it
    2. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it

I`ve been using it for over 30 years and will use it for the next 30........

BobbyG

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper or plastic?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

I Agree, I run a lot of road miles and sometimes don`t get my oil changed when I should. If I ran Dyno oil to 5k when I drained it it was black and thick and you could see where it was starting to build up on dipsticks and drain plugs. Now I run Mobil 1 synthetic and after 5-6k it drains out light brown and all metal parts are clean.

The old myth about leaks are not a factor today either. The old enigines used to use paper or cork gaskets. Today engines are sealed with silicone gaskets and don`t breakdown or leak like old ones.

The big difference is that Dyno oil breaks down under heat and synthetic oils resist breakdown from heat much better.

IMO Synthetic oils are worth the investment.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information