Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, is there anything besides glass cleaner (ie EF Clear Vision) that can be used to get road stuff off of glass? This weekend i QD`d my pathy, and cleaned the windows, however noticed this morning while driving in the sun that there was tar and some black spots on the windshield. Could i use something like EF Spot Remover (i heard EF hi-intensity etched the glass).. How about some carb cleaner? Is there anything i can use lets say with a sponge to get rid of these tar and other grime spots?

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about WD-40. someone confirm that it`s okay

I`ve used goo gone on glasse with some success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Allright, great.. Ill try it this weekend. I hope either goo gone or WD40 will work. Would it be ok to use the rough side of one of those kitchen sponges to really scrub the dirt off?

Post Thanks / Like
    i use ZEP, it works great, spray it on and wipe the foam away. For a cleaner window, use an old back & white news paper on it.

I dont know about wd-40, i never heard that before. you can find ZEP in any hardware store or home depot.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are severasl diff kinds of glass cleaners, Zaino Z-12 is a cleaner that you only use when your glass is very dirty and your every day cleaner is not cutting it. When the glass is clean again you go back to the every day cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by PathfinderGuy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Allright, great.. Ill try it this weekend. I hope either goo gone or WD40 will work. Would it be ok to use the rough side of one of those kitchen sponges to really scrub the dirt off? [/b]</blockquote>
    Be careful, really careful. Chances are that whatever is stuck on there contains abrasives which you do not want to rub on glass. Best bet would be to try and blot it up after keeping it damp with the solvent you choose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the big deal about abrasives on Glass? What happens when u use them on Glass? I used Paint cleaner once for overspray and worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a plastic razor blade. Or a metal one, in extreme cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about trying clay, it works well for getting `fall out` off the glass, followed up with glass cleaner.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Use WD40 on some cotton balls and dissolve the tar. Follow with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and vinagar to remove any oil base residual and you can polish the glass with some BarKeepers Friend ( can be found in most grocery store in cleaning section)( very,very mild abrasive ). Again clean with the alcohol/vinagar solution. Now you are left with virgin glass that you can just keep clean or like some in this forum apply a protectant. I cover with Z2/Z5 and finish with Z6.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Lowejackson [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>How about trying clay, it works well for getting `fall out` off the glass, followed up with glass cleaner.

Steven [/b]</blockquote>
    I clayed my windshield and then followed up with Klasse once. That sucker has never been so clean since I bought it! Probably not even then. Not only does it clean the glass but it also makes it eaiser to clean it in the future.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Powerslave [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Whats the big deal about abrasives on Glass? What happens when u use them on Glass? I used Paint cleaner once for overspray and worked fine. [/b]</blockquote>
    Grab some sand (which by the way is found in bird bombs) and rub it around on your glass. If it doesnt scratch, you`re safe. Repeat with road tar. My glass scratches, maybe yours wont, give it a try to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

Grab some sand (which by the way is found in bird bombs) and rub it around on your glass. If it doesnt scratch, you`re safe. Repeat with road tar. My glass scratches, maybe yours wont, give it a try to find out. [/b]</blockquote>
    Yeh cool man Paint Cleaner is like Sand to everyone here im sure

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was just refering to the effect of abrasives on glass. Not neccessarily paint cleaner.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Powerslave [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Yeh cool man Paint Cleaner is like Sand to everyone here im sure [/b]</blockquote>
    All of my comments have referred to the original question, which the poster referred to as "black spots" and later as "dirt". Those are the subjects of this discussion, not Paint Cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information