Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Is what is formed. The no slip condition is met at the surface and the profile moves outward from there. The farthest away from the surface is where the flow is the greatest, hence the largest dirt particles are swept away easily and the smallest ones are left on the car. Same thing happens when using air to clean off sunglasses lenses....the smallest particles are in the lowest flow of air stream and remain behind.........neat huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha! That sounds rather interesting, I will probably enjoy learning about physics when I get to it . . . except for the calculus "part." Notice I use the term part <strong class=`bbc`>very[/b] loosely here.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always rinse (no blasting) and drive (no wiping!). Besides your other choices are CA duster and QD with MF. In the mornings it`s about the easiest and quickest way to get a layer of dust off. Should any does dissolve and "react" with you paint you must rinse a lot so that there is enough water to dilute any local reactions if acid is your concern. Remember though, Newbury is a little piece of pollution free place on earth!

We can all hope that the extremely close particals that don`t move or don`t get dissolved are also less easy to see. The result is a "cleaner looking" car, until you can really wash it on the weekend.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I thought it would never come to this, but you guys started it...

I deal with boundary layers every day (I`m an aerospace engineer and my master`s specialty was in computational fluid dynamics). You guys have a pretty darned good grasp of the basics of BL theory. I`m not 100% sure that the reason that dust isn`t removed from a car by wind or water alone is <em class=`bbc`>entirely[/i] due to the no-slip condition (since the fluid velocity is zero only <strong class=`bbc`>immediately[/b] adjacent to the surface of the car), but I`m sure that no-slip has a great deal to do with that pesky dust not wanting to blow off.

Anyway, for any budding fluid dynamicists or aero engineers, here`s a pretty good layman`s explanation of boundary layers. Enjoy!

:bounce

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s also the reason whey Supeman`s clothes never get disturbed when he gets blown up
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe! Kind of cool and amusing to have an aerospace engineer give us a laydown of dust and its tendency to not blow away with wind. Autopia has really come around. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel well and leather dressing

I was using Griot`s undercarriage dressing for wheels, but it seems greasy and has a high annoying scent to it. I was thinking of using Meguiar`s hyper dressing..

For leather cleaning and conditioning, I have been using Lexol leather treatment but is does not seem to restore the oils in the leather. Is there anything better out there?...I looked at the Leather Master Kit but it is pricey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Hyper Dressing or CG Bare Bones. Even most water-vased tire shines will work.

What kind of leather are you working on? Most cars have coated leather which only need good cleaning and an interior protectant such as 303 Aero. Lexol also has a new leather cleaner/conditioner specifically for automotive leather. Maybe give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Try Hyper Dressing or CG Bare Bones. Even most water-vased tire shines will work.

What kind of leather are you working on? Most cars have coated leather which only need good cleaning and an interior protectant such as 303 Aero. Lexol also has a new leather cleaner/conditioner specifically for automotive leather. Maybe give that a try.
    BMW leather, Honda leather are on newer vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    SoonerFan -

If you are talking about wheel wells, then Meguiars Hyper-Dressing will work, smell much better, but not last as long in wheel wells.

I have also tried the Griot`s undercarriage dressing and found it smelly and greasy-like in finish.

The Chemical Guys Bare Bones product for me, seems to be not as slimy and smells a little bit better, dries really nice, and seems to last longer than the other 2 I speak of above.

I end up after as good a cleaning of the wheel well areas as I can do, using Chemical Guys Bare Bones product the most.

For BMW leather, I always use Spinneybeck Leather Conditioner, and have found people who have used this longer than I for years, and swear by it.
    This product does not impart any leather "smell" to the hides, but instead, if the leather is cleaned properly, allows the natural smell of the treated hide co come out. From research on the company I have found that this product is what they use to treat the hides that come right out of their tannery, before they are sold to the Automakers, fine furniture makers, etc..

Now, if I have a Client that wants to have the Leather treated properly and leave a leather "smell", I always use Zaino Leather Conditioner, which accomplishes both these requirements easily.

Other Leather Conditioners made for some European vehicles tend to smell like some sort of petroleum product or something - Connolly Hide Food, Einzett Leather Conditioner, Auto Glym, etc...That is not to say that these products are bad, but they definitely have a unique smell that is unlike what i personally perceive a leather hide should smell like..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    SoonerFan -

If you are talking about wheel wells, then Meguiars Hyper-Dressing will work, smell much better, but not last as long in wheel wells.

I have also tried the Griot`s undercarriage dressing and found it smelly and greasy-like in finish.

The Chemical Guys Bare Bones product for me, seems to be not as slimy and smells a little bit better, dries really nice, and seems to last longer than the other 2 I speak of above.

I end up after as good a cleaning of the wheel well areas as I can do, using Chemical Guys Bare Bones product the most.

For BMW leather, I always use Spinneybeck Leather Conditioner, and have found people who have used this longer than I for years, and swear by it.
    This product does not impart any leather "smell" to the hides, but instead, if the leather is cleaned properly, allows the natural smell of the treated hide co come out. From research on the company I have found that this product is what they use to treat the hides that come right out of their tannery, before they are sold to the Automakers, fine furniture makers, etc..

Now, if I have a Client that wants to have the Leather treated properly and leave a leather "smell", I always use Zaino Leather Conditioner, which accomplishes both these requirements easily.

Other Leather Conditioners made for some European vehicles tend to smell like some sort of petroleum product or something - Connolly Hide Food, Einzett Leather Conditioner, Auto Glym, etc...That is not to say that these products are bad, but they definitely have a unique smell that is unlike what i personally perceive a leather hide should smell like..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Thanks for the great info Dan. It is simply amazing how many combination of products exists. I am always looking at producing a comparable new car smell when my customer first enters their car and gets a whiff. I will buy some Spinneybeck Leather Conditioner.

The griot undercarriage spray gave me an awful headache and literally stunk my shop. Next stop--Chemical Guys Bare Bones.

Post Thanks / Like
    SoonerFan -

No problem, glad to help !

I also like to leave my Client`s vehicles with a nice, clean, smell to greet them the first time they get into it.

My favorites for achieving this are Einzett Cockpit Premium, and Einzett Plastic Deep Cleaner, and the 2 Leather Conditioners I spoke of earlier.

For carpeting, I like to use Meguiars Quick Out Carpet Stain Remover for stubborn spots, and Meguiars APC Plus for general carpet cleaning, followed by Meguiars Odor Eliminator if needed, and all brushed in and extracted out with my Mytee HP60 Spyder.

I have had great success with Chemical Guys Fabric Clean on Cloth Seats, that are dirty/stained, and then Steam it out, and if really bad, extract it too.

I am always trying as you do, it sounds like, leaving a distinct "clean" smell in the vehicle, and not anything smelly or overpowering; just really nice, clean, treated, surfaces.. I know I like it when my vehicles smell like that !

Sounds like you have a great thing going out there in the land of that iron rich red dirt, eh ?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel Wells: Meguiars Hot Shine

Leather Conditioner: Connollys Hyde Food

This is how I roll :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used CG Bare Bones and Griots in wheels. CG does have a much milder scent (mine does not smell like grapes as some have reported). I have not been able to really tell which really works better in a side by side check.

Note: some claim Griots is just relabeled Bare Bones.
    Al

Made in USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information