Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Handles

Post Thanks / Like
    I frequently take my truck off-road, as I`m sure most of you truck owners do. In the fall, it`s not unusual for the rocker panels and wheel wells to get caked with wet mud and clay. What`s the best way to clean this off while limiting the damage to the clear-coat? In the past, I`ve always gone at it with a power-washer. Is this too rough with the abrasive elements? Thanks for any help !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buckslayer, avid sports hunter here too (you`d die if you saw my Montana property, 70 miles N of yellowstone, property owners association with hunting and fishing rights to 10,000 acres in the Gravelly Mountain range. )

I generally hose the mud off ASAP when I get home with a spray nozzle hose. Then I use the two-bucket method for washing my truck. I must be doing something right, the other day while at Schucks auto store, some gal asked how old my truck was, I told her 1991, she said it looked new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to have a truck and found myself in that situation. Went to the local "blast-o-matic" (as Brad B. would say) self-serve car wash and sprayed it down. I think that this is the least abraisive way to do it! Never use their brush though! Swirl city if you do!
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    go to a bay and use their soapy rinse, don`t spray perpendicular to the panel and blast the mud right on the panel. Spray from the side at an angle and work at it like you`re peeling of tape, trying to spray a clean edge and work it through.

It also helps if you leave your truck out in a full day of rain before doing this. Drive by my house, it`s been raining all week

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it`s time to look into buying a Pressure Washer of your own. They are handy to have around for a variety of purposes like cleaning driveways, gutters, decks and fences. Not to mention muddy trucks and dirtbikes.

There are a couple of electric models in the above link that are small and reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, folks. I typically use the angled stream approach at the pressure washer bay that YoSteve described. Just wondered if there was a better way.

As for residential pressure washers, I have access to them for around the house jobs. However, I never use them on my "toys" and other equipment. The high-pressure water does too much harm as it finds it way into places (ie - bearings, bushings, electronics) that it doesn`t belong. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by buckslayer [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>As for residential pressure washers, I have access to them for around the house jobs. However, I never use them on my "toys" and other equipment. The high-pressure water does too much harm as it finds it way into places (ie - bearings, bushings, electronics) that it doesn`t belong. Just my 2 cents. [/b]</blockquote>
    Well I wouldn`t use one on my Porsche but I don`t see why it would be worse to use a pressure washer of your own for spraying off mud versus the car washes pressure washer with recycled water. Most pressure washers have adjustable pressure and a variety of tips for different jobs. JMHO

However with that said, the only vehicles I use a pressure washer on are fleet trucks and dirtbikes and even with those you have to be careful about spraying around seals, carbs, electrics etc. For knocking heavy mud off of fenders though, they work great. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    A lawn sprinkler underneath helps clean the underbody. Also, lightly misting the wheel wells with cooking oil (PAM spray, or use a lawn sprayer with cooking oil) helps keep the mud from adhering a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    ShortCut - you`re right - no difference if used on cars. Sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to make a point that high-pressure water can easily be misused to "clean."

On your bike, try cleaning it real good and then seal the plastic with a wax or synthetic sealant. Mud will come off much easier. If you know the race/ride is going to be very mucky, spray the underside of your fenders with cooking spray/silicone to make it tougher for the mud to stick to the surface. Finally, if you`re concerned about the weight that the mud might add to your bike during a race, put a layer of tape (yep, good ol` duct tape again!) on the underside of your fenders. When the mud is getting pretty heavy, grab an exposed edge and tear it off - presto - tear-offs for your fenders.

That`s probably more than anyone wanted to know, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re right that pressure washers, especially the BIG ones, can cause serious damage in the wrong hands. Some people never get the concept of throttle control whether they are piloting a motorcycle, orbital polisher or pressure washer. The speed is adjustable for a reason.

Thanks for the cool tip on the mud tearoffs! Block foam also works well to prevent mud build up between skid plates and engines. I`ve also seen a sleeve kinda like a panty hose material that slips over the front fender and looks pretty effective. Ok that`s far enough off the subject for now.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    panty hose`s and bra`s on cars? sounds kinky
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    After we go mudding we then have a cleaning party!

Boiled crawfish & beer!

We park the trucks in the low spot on the property and start hosing to get most of the mud of with low pressure water. The clumps fill in the low spots on the property!

Afterwards back to the driveway and bust out more beer and a pressure washer. Hold beer in one hand and spray with other this will not allow you to get to close to do damage. When beer is finished and truck is done. Then you can go around and get closer and remove the rest.

Wash as normal after. Oh did I say bring beer?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Door Handles

I have a Dodge Dakota and all Handles and Trim are a dull Black.I have tried both Mothers and Meguires products to no avail.Does anybody know of a product that will ensure Blackness(is that a word) and hopefully last?Should it come with a shine it would be an added bonus.
    Thanks for your attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly Poorboy`s Trim Restorer. I hear good things about it, although I don`t have much (if any) experience using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    PAC sells "Black Again"... give that a try. I`ve had good luck with it.
    Gary Bohannon

Beaux Art Detail
    Nashville, TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information