Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Extraction

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Extraction

So coming up on 3 years, 21K miles, and the 5th oil change for the GTI I decided to do something different. My trusty Rhino ramps are ever so slightly too tall for the car, and is always a struggle to get it on the ramps. Decided enough was enough and went to the nearest Harbor Freight and picked up an oil extractor unit (this one: Click). I know what you`re thinking, you bought an extractor from HF? Yup, but it is the better version of this style. The fittings are easily obtainable push fit and seem to be of good quality. The rest of the unit seems to be of decent materials, so we`ll see in the long run.

Had to wait a couple extra days waiting on my oil change kit I decided to get along with a new set of wipers (way cheaper to get online). My usual Castrol Edge 0w40 Euro is getting hard to source and the dealer I buy the filter from has changed ownership and the parts department has gotten, to be blunt, idiotic. Not really brand loyal, but the Edge was the easiest to get locally and had good specs. Think I`m going with the mail order route from now on as it was too convenient to get it shipped to my door.

Anyways, warmed the car up for about 10 minutes, pulled the dipstick, put the extraction tube down the tube, and started pumping up the extractor. After about 30 seconds the oil started flowing, a little slow, but it was working. Meanwhile since the filter is on top I proceeded to change it waiting for the oil to be done extracting.

The setup:

Yes, I know the car is a little dirty. Rural PA roads this time of year are plastered with mud from all the farms.

Extraction took about 20 minutes. Next time I`ll probably take the car on a short drive to warm up the oil a little more. It was barely warm to the touch and a 40wt is definitely thick trying to extract it from a small tube. Overall the process was much easier and cleaner. Extracted about 5.75 liters of an almost 6 liter sump, so not bad actually. Filled it up and was ready to go another 5K miles! The evacuation setting on the unit was super nice to put the used oil into my collection bucket, no mess at all!

The Tacoma has its oil filter on top as well so here in a couple months I`ll try it on it. The SLK is the same way.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs, Tc99m liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil Extraction

Excellent! I’ve been using an oil extractor for 20 years without problems. I’m very happy with it. As a matter of fact, I have to change my oil next month.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Nizmo, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it works for you
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an extractor as well and was going to try this method on my GLI first oil change seems to be pretty popular this is my first VW in 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

We use this method at our shop. I’ve been doing it for my own car for the last 26 changes. In the past I had wondered if you could really trust it to get all the oil out, but after dropping the drain plug on a few after extraction was able to confirm it’s legit. Works awesome for the lawn mower and snow blower as well since you don’t have to tip them over to get the oil out.

One tip I would share would be to do what you can to make sure the end of your suction hose stays straight. Having a bunch of hot oil passing through softens the plastic tube, then it starts to want to stay precurved. Makes it hard to get accurate, complete extraction that way.
    We slide a piece of straight brake pipe into the last 10” or so, but you could also just hold the line straight and spray some brake clean through which works to quick cool/set the pipe shape. We use an air powered MityVac extractor at the shop, I bought the hand pump Mityvac (which I almost prefer because it’s so much quieter!). The only thing we’ve had to do with the one at the shop is replace the extraction hose from guys not paying attention and kinking them.

Also - Matt - Congrats on the new car!
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool setup and looks like it makes maintenance pretty straight forward/easy/much cleaner!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

One of my handiest tools in my garage. I also have dedicated hoses for coolant, brake fluid, and water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using extraction for years. My cars have the filter topside, so it`s very convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, me too BUT none of mine have filters that`re easily accessed from the top...sigh..no free lunch for me.

The handle of mine broke the *first time* I used it, and I`ve been unable to source a replacement...who woulda thunk it`d be a challenge?!? [Freakin`] PIA wrapping a sponge around what`s left of it I`d use it a lot more if not for that....

Post Thanks / Like

If mine broke, I’d gladly look for a new one at HF because I enjoy using it so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Nice!

We use this method at our shop. I’ve been doing it for my own car for the last 26 changes. In the past I had wondered if you could really trust it to get all the oil out, but after dropping the drain plug on a few after extraction was able to confirm it’s legit. Works awesome for the lawn mower and snow blower as well since you don’t have to tip them over to get the oil out.

One tip I would share would be to do what you can to make sure the end of your suction hose stays straight. Having a bunch of hot oil passing through softens the plastic tube, then it starts to want to stay precurved. Makes it hard to get accurate, complete extraction that way.
    !

i too wondered about it getting all the used oil out. Thanks for that oil drain plug test comment. That`s a great clarifier On that question. Nice tips on the tubes.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This just might be the next purchase for my Tiguan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The handle of mine broke the *first time* I used it, and I`ve been unable to source a replacement...who woulda thunk it`d be a challenge?!? [Freakin`] PIA wrapping a sponge around what`s left of it I`d use it a lot more if not for that....
    What brand extractor? I‘m guessing you tried contacting them for parts?

Does the handle thread on, or is it integrated into the shaft? If it threads on, wonder if you could source an alternate T handle, or heck - even something like a threaded knob (like often used on the sides of push lawnmower handles)?

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- I`m guessing mine is the..the..oh [snap] I`m having a brain pause It came from Griot`s but is v1.0 of the "bigname one" that`s advertised all the time...Mitey Vac maybe? It`s just not coming to me I tried contacting all the usual suspects but no joy on a replacement handle; I suspect they`d rather sell me a whole new one.

I`m sure it just screws on, and that all kinds of substitutes would fit, just haven`t come up with one yet as, well..guess it`s easier to just leave that sponge secured to what remains and [gripe] and moan about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine’s a Pela extractor. I first saw one just like it in the Griot’s handbook but then saw several sites sell it. I got extra hoses from the manufacturer.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information